Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Something Strange Warning Lights

bomber06

I was coming home from work today and the engine malfunction lights started flashing on the dashboard. There was no loss of power and the car seemed to be driving as normal.

I took it straight to my local Toyota dealership who were great and checked for any problem codes free of charge. They said that it was showing numerous codes and as the car was driving normally they were not able to tell me the underlying problem. They reset the ECU and the engine malfunction lights have not returned.

The dealership said that the ECU may have got "confused" and logged a series of codes.

I am a little concerned this could be the start of something bigger and more costly...fingers crossed it isnt.

They seem to be back peddling on EGR valves. At first they were changing them at the first sign of sticking but now they seem to be cleaning them and restting the light to see how they go on. It is usually accompanied by "check engine, check 4WD, check ABs type messages. Were you with them the whole time while they played with the car?

Those were the messages that appeared. Although they checked and reset the codes while I waited I didnt get to see what they did.

Am I right in thinking that the EGR valves have a 5 year warranty?

Those were the messages that appeared. Although they checked and reset the codes while I waited I didnt get to see what they did.

Yes but they seem to be cleaning them unless they are stuck solid. Keep running it for now and see if it does it again. They tend to do it if you wind the revs up. If you are worried pm me. If they do stick they run rough but tend to limp rather than stop altogether.

Yes but they seem to be cleaning them unless they are stuck solid. Keep running it for now and see if it does it again. They tend to do it if you wind the revs up. If you are worried pm me. If they do stick they run rough but tend to limp rather than stop altogether.

I had exactly the same problem. The dealer was going to clean the EGR but it was stuck open, it was changed under warranty.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links