Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Tickover From Cold

PDT

Hi,

I have a 1.8 petrol Avensis. I am curious about the high tickover from cold. This morning was not particuarly cold (9 on in car temp display) but the engine was ticking over at 1900 RPM. This did reduce fairly rapidly to the normal 750 RPM.

I have noticed that the tickover was high first thing in the morning even during the summer, nowhere near the 1900 mark but still higher than normal. This was also happening when I started the car after work (6pm) when the car had been standing in the sun all day.

Is this normal or does it indicate a fault.

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

Hi,

I have a 1.8 petrol Avensis. I am curious about the high tickover from cold. This morning was not particuarly cold (9 on in car temp display) but the engine was ticking over at 1900 RPM. This did reduce fairly rapidly to the normal 750 RPM.

I have noticed that the tickover was high first thing in the morning even during the summer, nowhere near the 1900 mark but still higher than normal. This was also happening when I started the car after work (6pm) when the car had been standing in the sun all day.

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

Quite normal Pete, are you old enough to remember 'chokes' on cars? They did the same, enrich the mixture when the engine is cold and increase the revs to prevent stalling. With fuel injection, it is done electronically and automatically, the temp sensor tells the engine management that the engine is cold so automatically enriches the fuel/air mixture and increases the rpm. As the engine warms up, the sensor passes the information to the EM system and gradually reduces the enrichment and rpm. The temp sensor is in the coolant system so it depends on the temperature of the coolant and not so much on the outside air temp.

There are earlier threads on the same issue from last winter if you want to search them out.

hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

Quite normal Pete, are you old enough to remember 'chokes' on cars? They did the same, enrich the mixture when the engine is cold and increase the revs to prevent stalling. With fuel injection, it is done electronically and automatically, the temp sensor tells the engine management that the engine is cold so automatically enriches the fuel/air mixture and increases the rpm. As the engine warms up, the sensor passes the information to the EM system and gradually reduces the enrichment and rpm. The temp sensor is in the coolant system so it depends on the temperature of the coolant and not so much on the outside air temp.

There are earlier threads on the same issue from last winter if you want to search them out.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Q.S,

My first car (Morris Marina) had a manual choke, subsequent cars like Mk1

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Q.S,

My first car (Morris Marina) had a manual choke, subsequent cars like Cavalier and Nova had automatic chokes. But I don't remember any car reving quite so high. I also don't recall having to use the manual choke at the end of a hot summers day.

I may be a bit paranoid because the 3 year waranty ran out last month!

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

Hi Pete

No to be worry about -- that is more than OK and looks like standard.

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

Hi Pete

No to be worry about -- that is more than OK and looks like standard.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor. I've stopped worrying now.

Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links