Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.4 Vvti Wont Start

StevieG62

Hi All.I appreciate this is a 64 million dollar question but my Mrs was out in the Corrolla(T3 1.4 vvti)the other day when it just cut out,fortunately at low speed/Green Flag came out to her and diagnosed timing belt snapped and took her home.Obviosly all vvti engines are timing chains so thought Id check it out before anything else.On inspection found the chain to be absolutely fine(Thankfully!!)Anyway my problem now is the car just wont start,it turns over and plugs are sparking,all fuel related fuses are fine and fuel appears to be getting through as plugs are 'wet'with fuel on inspection.The car was in for MOT last week and since the engine light came on intermittantly.could be a coincidence.Anyone any ideas as to what the prob may be?Ie a sensor?etc Thanks in advance Steve

a friend of mine had a similar problem, was really hard starting the car, sometimes it took a few goes but i think the light stayed on the whole time, i believe it was a crank shaft sensor that was gone, cost about e150 to replace, iam not 100% on details, was a while back and i never got the full story, hope that was some help to you though

a friend of mine had a similar problem, was really hard starting the car, sometimes it took a few goes but i think the light stayed on the whole time, i believe it was a crank shaft sensor that was gone, cost about e150 to replace, iam not 100% on details, was a while back and i never got the full story, hope that was some help to you though

Thanks Andy,had kinda ruled the crank sensor out as the plugs are firing.Do you think it could still be an option regardless?Thanks mate Steve

dont hold me to this but i think one of my mates changed the plugs thinking that was the problem, she was turning perfect, semi firing, it was like a delayed reaction to start, have you gotten the car on the computer, even with the light out the fault should be in the ecu

Thanks Andy,had kinda ruled the crank sensor out as the plugs are firing.Do you think it could still be an option regardless?Thanks mate Steve

Generally when a crank shaft sensor goes belly-up you get no spark at al but if its dirty or misaligned or its electrics corroded it may spark at the wrong time. So it may be worth checking it out if only to rule out the possibility of a fault in that area.

Did the breakdown guy give any reason of why he thought the timing belt/chain had failed. Did he detect poor compression for instance.:)

Generally when a crank shaft sensor goes belly-up you get no spark at al but if its dirty or misaligned or its electrics corroded it may spark at the wrong time. So it may be worth checking it out if only to rule out the possibility of a fault in that area.

Did the breakdown guy give any reason of why he thought the timing belt/chain had failed. Did he detect poor compression for instance.:)

Hi James,Thanks for info,thats what I was thinking,so getting a spark turned me away from the crank sensor,but like you say may be sparking at the wrong time.No idea how the mechanic diagnosed broken chain as I wasnt there,just glad it hasnt.Steve

Hi James,Thanks for info,thats what I was thinking,so getting a spark turned me away from the crank sensor,but like you say may be sparking at the wrong time.No idea how the mechanic diagnosed broken chain as I wasnt there,just glad it hasnt.Steve

what about any of the earth straps ??

what about any of the earth straps ??

Thanks Scott I did check the earth straps and they are well connected and in good nick,Ive removed the crank sensor and got a reading of 2121ohms,which apparently is fine.Thanks Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links