Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maf Cleaner

Theorist

Dont Bother with it Mate. Try Maplin's own brand "contact cleaner". Brilliant stuff & only 3.59. I have tried it & its 100% OK. the MAF is ready to go in 10 mins after the administration of contact cleaner. dont use anything else whatever ppl tell you. My MAF was quite mucky & sorted out the idling as soon as i cleaned it. Make sure you pick up the one that says "contact" cleaner as they have 3 or 4 different types of cleaners.

Mol-V

PS: here's the link. http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25340

I use an A'PEXi... brilliant filtration means no need to clean the MAF Sensor... and it won't coat the sensor in oil like the Typhoon can ;)

:P :lol:

its well worth cleaning your MAF sensor every so often regardless of which induction kit you use.

For what reason?? :huh:

It was clean when i put the A'PEXi on.... i have no idle issues or warning lights...

As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

;)

its a good measure to clean your maf....regardless of what induction kit you use, no filter blocks out air so dirt still gets in, it will stick to your maf sensor. Those 2 small wires get clogged up pretty quick. When they get clogged up to much its time for a new maf because no contact cleaner will be able to clean them off. So its a wise idea to sometimes clean them. That also goes for the idle air control valve gets really dirty and starts malfunctioning.

its well worth cleaning your MAF sensor every so often regardless of which induction kit you use.

I kind of diagree with that. 1stly you are creating unnecessary work for no gain. 2ndly dont fix it if it aint broken. you will know when maf needs cleaning & the muck always comes off regardless & doesnt adhere to the sensor wires.

If the MAF element gets dirty then it shows there is something amiss with the air induction system. And as already said if it ain't broke don't fix it as cleaning only shortens their life span or changes their sensitivity. The MAF sensor and the induction system are designed to be complimentary so changing either aspect is likely to upset their paramaters.

Yet on the oher hand some people just keep fixin it till its broke

If cleaning is required then you can use ISOPROPANOL which costs around a fiver per litre. Gee whizz those guys who sell the mini bottles are making some profit.:)

its a good measure to clean your maf....regardless of what induction kit you use, no filter blocks out air so dirt still gets in, it will stick to your maf sensor.

I'm well aware that no filter blocks out air.... otherwise it would be called a "seal" not a "filter" and it would obviously kill the engine when no air gets through :P :lol:

My reference to fitting the A'PEXi was made with my usual sarcastic sense of humour (if only TOC had a sarcastic smiley :lol: )

However, i still stand by my statement of if it ain't broke don't fix it.... i've seen MAF Sensor's completely clogged down one side from oil and dirt and they have always cleaned up with no problems :thumbsup:

problem with the maf inside the housing are two small wires, excess dirt build up doesnt always come off so easy, it was just a suggestion its not a part that if its not broken dont fix it. Its more a service item its always good measure to clean it.

That also goes for the lift ocv, vvt ocv, iacv, pcv valve....

If you're getting excessive dirt build up on the MAF it would be a better idea to find out why that's happening rather than just cleaning it.

Even the stock filter is good enough to prevent too much dirt from hitting the MAF... if it wasn't, why bother having a filter at all??

Regulary cleaning sensitive items increases the risk of damaging those parts.... if you start having idle issues etc then by all means clean whatever you like to try and solve them... if not it's better to leave well alone....

I have always cleaned my car's MAFs every year and always will.

I have never found one to be 100% clean, even with stock air filters.

I tend to soak them in isopropyl alcohol for a couple of hours, then give the sensor area a GENTLE rub with a cotton bud to get the dirt off and leave to dry for 12ish hours.

problem with the maf inside the housing are two small wires, excess dirt build up doesnt always come off so easy, it was just a suggestion its not a part that if its not broken dont fix it. Its more a service item its always good measure to clean it.

That also goes for the lift ocv, vvt ocv, iacv, pcv valve....

im interested in how you go about servicing those parts you mention . lift ocv, vvt ocv, iacv, pcv valve....whats involved?

i will do a diy tomorow if the weather is good,

PCV valve is on top of the rocker cover the one with the first hose coming out of it. You unbolt the valve ideally replace if its clogged up but it can be cleaned.

lift ocv right side of the head has a small stainless steel mesh filter which needs cleaning

VVT ocv behind alternator you will need to remove alternator for this

iacv is under the throttle body.

ok thanks .yeah will need a DIY with my level of skill lol .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links