Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stage2 (fast Road) Piper Cams

dailey87

Anyone on here have any experience of Fast Road piper cams in their or someone else's T-sport?

Since i seem to have found the problem with my CTS (99.9% sure it's worn cam and rocker failure) the cams are going to be replaced so I might as well upgrade for a hard wearing part and a little more power too.

I just don't want a lumpy idle or a rough mid-range.

so does anyone have any opinions of these?

I don't know of anybody with these in their T Sport's....

But i'm deffo interested in how they are if you get them! B)

my friend has had stage 2s and 3s, regardless you will get a loud idle, In terms of gains there isnt much gain from the stage 2s, combined with more mods later you defo could see more power.

Stage 2 are a fast road kind of cam but the opening and closing duration is not to much apart from the standard cams, I would say if you are going for any, go all out for the stage 3 to see gains then get a camcon or emanage.

But if you are not interested in going that step further stick to stock cams they are good enough.

I heard some infos about cams.You will lose the normal idle speed!Ask monkeywrenchracing about those products.What Farhan said is right.You need more air and fuel also.The stock ecu cannot give enough.

Yeh what's the point in allowing more air into the engine if it can't be matched with fuel - thats why you get flat spots and poor idle - DOH!!

Thanks for the replys so far.

my friend has had stage 2s and 3s, regardless you will get a loud idle, In terms of gains there isnt much gain from the stage 2s, combined with more mods later you defo could see more power.

Stage 2 are a fast road kind of cam but the opening and closing duration is not to much apart from the standard cams, I would say if you are going for any, go all out for the stage 3 to see gains then get a camcon or emanage.

But if you are not interested in going that step further stick to stock cams they are good enough.

I do expect a slightly louder idle with fast road cams but i just want to make sure its not dog rough.

The problem i see with going stage 3 is the loss of drivability, after all it will be always be a daily driver. Piper claim a 26lbft increase in the mid range and 15bhp at the top for the stage 2s and MWR seem to have achieved these kind of gains with a stock ECU on some mildly modded GT-S celicas.

I'm a student Dr with a young family so money isn't exactly abundant for the next few years but i am looking into a DD performance research intake mani, exhaust and possibly a apexiFC as next steps but again it comes down to drivability. I don't think the Mrs would appreciate going around town in 1st ;)

What are the pipers like reliability wise? My standard cams seem to have been made from butter and i have been told that pipers are generally harder wearing than stock items in most cases.

The pipers aren't too much more expensive than the standard cam and they need changing!

if im honest its a big waste of money for something that will be more hassle than good, mwr racing dynos are from one customer, from other proven dyno results the gains are no way up there with what your going to be expecting.

a dd performance manifold again is good but your going to need a q45 throttle body, the power fc harness to get it in, and alot of dyno time plus a very big wallet.

i still recon you wont be able to hit 200whp easily. My buddy went with a ported head (not manifold the actual head), stage 3 cams, stronger valve springs, flat faced valves, ppe manifold, mwr pullies.

Spent alot of money on the build and on stock ecu managed to get 190whp...which would equate to around 210-215 at the fly.

a DD manifold is a long way away until the short runner version is made, PPEs intake manifold did not produce the gains so there is a long wait, Dave who made the DD manifold is still trying to get the first lot out let alone finish designing a short runner and producing it.

The pipers reliability is about the same or maybe even less than the stock cams, Our stock cams are very good, The pipers no doubt will be better wearing than the stock cams under harsh driving but you will miss the reliability. To keep the creature comfort stick to the bolt ons. Even a power fc is a fair bit of hassle i was working with redliner on a harness but atm funds have set me back so that is put on hold.

Once the harness is complete the power fc will still set UK buyers around £1000 back, Then youll need someone who knows what they are doing to tune it.

My advise to you would be if your willing to go all out do it and if you have the funds, If not stick to the stock cams and get some bolt ons in. I understand your point of going for the upgrade parts but my question is will you see any advantages from them? what will be the use of the car.

I know this first hand as someone i know has a fully built 2zz-ge.....even though he can carry out the work on my car he tells me clearly its more hassle go with the new bolts on that are coming out itll save you alot of money in the long run, Also may i note his car is not a daily driver at all.

And remember the key rule.....in 2zz-ge maths

1BHP = £100

so the pipers in fairness and in all honesty from what my friends butt dyno registered gave.....6-7BHP on a ported head....thats stage 3s

maybe with a power fc with his modifications combined he should see 230.

for a daily driver and obviously the situation you are in i would be wary of putting upgraded internals in if the previous have been damaged....simply because you may find later something else has gone wrong.

as a daily driver my self focus on getting the car running how it should be and then slowly go for some bolt ons. If you are really adament on the stage 2s go with them, i personally would but from experience of paying that little bit more i would just take stage 3s, our motor is loud standard.....stage 2s are only going to get louder.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links