Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dvd Headrests

Oilkid

Don't know if anyone has looked into or thought about fitting DVD Headrests in a RAV 4.2 but one's just fitted the headrests in the link below, and was surprised at the good quality for the price £150.(Ebay)

The only problem I had was the length of the headrest posts being a wee bit too long.

These were tweaked to allow the cables to go round the inner top section of the seat frame. Apart from that good picture/sound (even through car Speakers via FM transmitter) and plays all the DVD's thrown in it.

www.xtrons.com/doce/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=32

Hi mate, how about posting up some photo's, allways good for other's who are thinking about doing the same mod :thumbsup:

Not too sure if I've used the right method to post pics, might work,might not?

I'll type up a wee guide how to fit them and get cables through seat etc when I get some spare time.

The wiring at the back of the seat runners will be wrapped in spirax banding and the power supply was taken from a temp fitted power socket (which will be removed and a rocker switch fitted where the coin holder is) taking its feed from the underside wiring feeding the 12V 120W supply socket. Well that's the plan for now. I checked the power to both DVD's and they only draw 1.4Amp

post-43729-1260296917_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260297000_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298302_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260297099_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298381_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298230_thumb.jpg

I'll type up a wee guide how to fit them and get cables through seat etc when I get some spare time.

That would be good and we could get it pinned in the technical hints & tips. :thumbsup:

Don't know if anyone has looked into or thought about fitting DVD Headrests in a RAV 4.2 but one's just fitted the headrests in the link below, and was surprised at the good quality for the price £150.(Ebay)

The only problem I had was the length of the headrest posts being a wee bit too long.

These were tweaked to allow the cables to go round the inner top section of the seat frame. Apart from that good picture/sound (even through car speakers via FM transmitter) and plays all the DVD's thrown in it.

I had a plan to use Volvo XC90 headrests for this.... they fit, and they are 'off black' leather

• 3 weeks later...
Not too sure if I've used the right method to post pics, might work,might not?

The wiring at the back of the seat runners will be wrapped in spirax banding and the power supply was taken from a temp fitted power socket (which will be removed and a rocker switch fitted where the coin holder is) taking its feed from the underside wiring feeding the 12V 120W supply socket. Well that's the plan for now. I checked the power to both DVD's and they only draw 1.4Amp

post-43729-1260296917_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260297000_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298302_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260297099_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298381_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1260298230_thumb.jpg

How are you getting on with the headrests?

These were tweaked to allow the cables to go round the inner top section of the seat frame. Apart from that good picture/sound (even through car speakers via FM transmitter) and plays all the DVD's thrown in it.

Must say very very impressed with these Well done, would have thought 2 replacement STD headrests would have cost more than that :thumbsup:

unfortunately my dog is the only thing travels in the back of my car + his hearing + eyesight are not that good, suppose i could foster a couple of kids though :unsure: (maybe not) heres a link to them on Fleabay LINK Great job.. :thumbsup: Stew

• 2 weeks later...

This is a guide to fitting Extrons DVD Headrests in a RAV4.2. Other headrests may require no mods?

Head rest mod.

1. On both headrest, the green wire (FM Cable) requires to be drawn out of the 10mm mounting posts before cutting. Just pull the rubber sleeve from terminal and pull cable out support pipe.

2. Using a pipe cutter, cut approx 1.5” from the 10mm mounting post. Take your time doing this not to damage cable.(Posts will be same length as originals)

post-43729-1262705867_thumb.jpg

3. Using a DREMEL with cutting disc cut along the length of off cut. Again take your time and rest the pipe on a wet cloth to act as a heat soak.

4. Once cut, get 2 flat blade screwdrivers, insert in the cut and twist them against each other. This will open up the pipe to allow removal from cable.

5. You want to de-burr the cut headrest support to prevent any damage to cable. Do this using some sandpaper, wrap it around the cable a slide it in to the support. Just twist the support against the paper to remove the burrs.

6. Once done feed the green cable back through the support pipe.

7. Get the 2 * 12MM adaptor posts and cut approx 1”from both. Again remove the burrs with a rolled up piece of sandpaper.

Installing cables through car seat….

1. Remove car headrests.

2. Get a piece of stiff wire (straightened coat hanger) and bend a slight angle approx 1” in from one end. Put a bend on the other end facing the same way as the 1” bend (so you can keep track of what way the hanger is pointing in the seat.

3. Insert hanger into seat post with the 1” angle facing the front of the car. Slide the hanger in to seat until you feel a bit of resistance (this will be the seat frame/wire support). Give it a shove to clear this. Once clear, turn the hanger 90’ so it’s pointing towards the bottom left/right corner of the seat. Keep feeding it through the car seat until it comes out seat back. (Take your time doing this as you don’t want to damage/tear the leather on the seat back. You will be able to feel/see the position of the wire during this)

4. Have a quick look and make sure the wire is definitely facing forward in the seat frame or you won’t be able to draw the cables through!!!. The picture below shows the cable in front of seat frame.

5. Once the wire is out the bottom off the seat back, tape some thin knotted string to the top of wire and draw the string through the seat back and out the bottom.

6. Do this for the other seat posts also.

7. Slide the 12mm headrest adaptors on to the headrest cables.

8. Tie some knots on the string (prevents it slipping through the tape) and tape the string onto the headrest wires.

9. Pull the longest cable through the seat first. This should go pretty easy if the string is routed as per step 4. Pull the cable out the corner of the seat.

10. Draw the second shorter cable through the seat. At this stage you will need to insert that post adaptors and slide in the headrest while pulling through the rest of the cable. The short cable will have just a few inches to spare to allow connection of the a/v cables.

11. Repeat for other seat.

12. You now want to draw the outer most cables towards the centre console for neater/easier wiring. The best way again is to push wire along the base of the seat (in one corner out the other). Draw a piece of string through, attach the cable with tape and draw the cable out the innermost corner of the seat (closest to the centre console). You will need to connect and tape the main a/v cable to the shortest headrest cable before drawing this along the base of the seat (if you don’t you wont be able to connect the a/v plugs together since they will be inside the seat!! Cables will look like this.

post-43729-1262706039_thumb.jpg

Wiring.

The centre console is removed by undoing 6screws/bolts.

Two of these screws are under the gearlever surround trim. Using a small flat screwdriver, just lever a small gap in this trim, where it joins the main console. Stick your fingers in and pull it upwards, this will remove it and just pull it up over the gear lever turning the leather gaiter inside out.

Remove the two screws at the gear lever.

Remove the two screws, down by the seat runners. These are a wee bit tricky to remove without removing the seats BUT there is a hole in the seat frame runner, which if adjusted and aligned with the screw you can remove them.

Remove the two bolts at the rear of the console, under the bit of rubber in the cup holder.

Pull the centre console upwards/backwards. Disconnect the small plug on the 12v power supply then push forwards/upwards to remove from handbrake lever.

1. To wire the headrests, just connect the relevant plugs(they only go one way) for the a/v and power supplies.

2. The way I done the a/v cables was to just inter-connect the a/v outs to the a/v in’s for both headrests. This allows you to have two different DVD’S in the headrests and be able to play whichever one, out through both headrests. Or you can still watch them separate.

3. You can power the headrests using a fused cigarette power plug (Buy them in Halfords £4). OR

4. The power supply can be taken from the underside of the 12V/120w power supply for the centre console (fitting an on /off rocker switch). Either method is suitable since there is no power with the ignition off (no flat Battery if you leave DVD’s on). It is also fused/protected from the dash and wiring is more than sufficient to power the headrests since they only draw 1.4A in use. Both DVD players are individually protected also.

post-43729-1262706567_thumb.jpg

post-43729-1262706685_thumb.jpg

5. Remove small coin holder from console and fit an on/off rocker switch for you power to the DVD’s. (Which is neater). Connect the wiring to the relevant spade terminals.

6. Easiest way to connect wires is to use scotch block connectors (which keeps the wiring neat) or if preferred use bullet/spade connectors).

post-43729-1262707000_thumb.jpg

7. At this stage, turn on the headrests and make sure everything is working ok.

8. Use spiral wrap along the length of the cables for protection and run cables along the inner edge of where the console will meet the carpet. Leave/loop approx 1FT of cable out the back edge/corner of console to allow for seat adjustment (if you don’t you’ll damage the cable).

post-43729-1262706814_thumb.jpg

9. Try to keep the DVD fuse/suppressor boxes in the area of the gear selector.(Just incase a fuse blows its easy replacement)

10. Refit the console and enjoy the much quietness of the kids the next time your out in the car.

I had fitted the headrest before doing this wee guide (hence the lack of pics) but this is easier to do than type up and explain!!

If your looking for the connectors etc try www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu but you'll get the stuff in Halfords/Maplin

Very comprehensive - nice work and given how much time you spent on it, do you mind if I pin this in the maintenace section?

Anchorman,

Yip you can pin this in the maintenace section. Not alot of info floating about for fitting LCD headrests in RAV's but this should help anyone thinking of doing so in future.

Oilkid

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links