Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Warranty Claims For Auris?!

ABZ-T2

Ok i will start

Steering column

Seats

Rattles - seatbelt panel/dashboard/rear seats/boot/cup holders/centre console/doors/side panels

Exhaust

Windscreen washers

Fuel tank

Brakes

Tyres

ABZ-T2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed_Chaser

• GregP

• ABZ-T2

• Aurissimo

Ok i will start

Steering column

Seats

Rattles - seatbelt panel/dashboard/rear seats/boot/cup holders/centre console/doors/side panels

Exhaust

Windscreen washers

Fuel tank

Brakes

Tyres

ABZ-T2

Brakes

Steering column

They were both recalls or mods during service.

Exhaust

Fuel tank

Did they fix all those rattles?

What was the problem with your exhaust?

Did they fix the fuel tank? To me they said it is in every Auris which means it's normal and designed to make sounds when nearly full...

My list:

Gearbox

Wipers

Washer jets

Brakes

Fuel tank

Rattles (whole car more or less :lol:)

Front seatbelts creak when inserted in their locks

Creaking rear seats when flipped down

Doors (creaking while opening/closing)

Shaky front end of the car (tyre problem?)

Paint coming off the shiftknob

Creaking rear seats when flipped down

Steering wheel gives a "snap" sound while turning

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recalls:

Steering column check/repair

Drive shaft check/repair

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total (spent by Toyota on repairing my car):

£4400=€5100

Many of the problems still remain unfixed!!

Best regards, Alex

No Alex they havent fixed any of the rattles!! :lol:

Exhaust was making an unusual sound when changing gears, slowing then accelarating and taking off. They replaced the exhaust pipe but the problems still there

Seats are still worn - done nothing!

Fuel tank - Told me the same thing :angry:

So yea gess i shd add:

MANY OF THE PROBLEMS REMAIN UNFIXED!!

ABZ-T2 :D

No Alex they havent fixed any of the rattles!! :lol:

Exhaust was making an unusual sound when changing gears, slowing then accelarating and taking off. They replaced the exhaust pipe but the problems still there

Seats are still worn - done nothing!

Fuel tank - Told me the same thing :angry:

So yea gess i shd add:

I guess, at the minute, I am lucky!! the only thing I have had was a bluetooth system change FREE of charge.

I have experienced none of the faults listed by you guys (not yet anyway!) 16480 miles in.

Paul

gess i shd add:

Next thing you have to do is to add some pressure on your dealer. The problems are there and they must to be fixed! You should act before it's too late! :)

I guess, at the minute, I am lucky!! the only thing I have had was a bluetooth system change FREE of charge.

I have experienced none of the faults listed by you guys (not yet anyway!) 16480 miles in.

Paul

Hope they will not appear just after the warranty will expire... :D No really I think you're just lucky. You should've allready noticed them if they were there.

Just thinking how is that possible that you haven't faced any of the problems listed by other members. I actually seem so have most problems compared to others :lol:

By the way, the rattling, it's really loud and disturbing especially now when it has been approx. -15 degrees for a few days... And the brakes... ARGH! :(

Best regards, Alex

sunvisor passenger side

drivers side floor mat (stuck to carpet) unstuck- NEW FULL CARPET

rattle from dash

speedometer replacement (due to innacurate fuel gauge and range indication) still cr@p!

rattle from sunroof map light area

gearknob paint peeling

wiper arm nut covers coming off on the motorway

rattle from drivers door

brake squeak ( 3 fixes, now ok)

steering wheel recall

EGR recall

Heatshield dropped from centre section.

and my toyota navi is starting to play up skipping discs...

and my seat is getting wrinkles,

but other than that it is fine... <_<

My only squeaking brakes and steering recall. I quite often read the forum and check my car against your issues but so far so good :D

In my opinion most of the issues you have are cosmetic and nothing really major- squeaks and rattles. Toyota is mass production car so you can't really expect Aston Martin quality in it. My sister bought car much more expensive than Auris from reputable manufacturer- 3 times dead on the road in 3 months. She can be angry :)

sunvisor passenger side

rattle from dash

speedometer replacement (due to innacurate fuel gauge and range indication) still cr@p!

gearknob paint peeling

rattle from drivers door

steering wheel recall

EGR recall

My seat is getting wrinkles too (on sides). Isn't that normal?

What was the problem with the sunvisor?

What is heatshield? :huh:

The fuel gauge and range indication won't become better. They are designed to work that way. Even when range meter shows 0km you can still drive and drive. It is made to warn you when you should fuel up, but as you notice how inaccurate it is, it's not really helping anymore because you continue driving and ignore the meter. Then you're just trying to guess when is it REALLY worth to drive to the gas station :D

most of the issues you have are cosmetic and nothing really major- squeaks and rattles. Toyota is mass production car so you can't really expect Aston Martin quality in it.

But I still paid 24k€ for it which is a lot, so I think I have right to feel anger, too... New car is new car, something's not right when it's leaving you on the road and the squeaks and rattles are faults too. I drove Yaris before, and did not hear squeaks or rattles even it was cheaper car. The problems aren't major, that is true. But I just don't want to hear rattles and squeaks when I'm driving. If I would've wanted to hear those I'd have bought some other car...

Best regards, Alex

My car is OK, but if it is really bad as you described then is something you would not expect from Toyota and you should push for solution. Maybe next time they will take more time to design interior. The issue is non critical from Toyota point of view so there is no fix for it. I think the same policy applies as in any big corporation. There is plenty of talk about customer satisfaction but management in reality is interested only in numbers. If cheap plastic can save money- they will use it.

Best regards, Alex

Blimey , how wide is your bum :lol: :lol2: Sorry alex , i could'nt resist that mate , only kidding of course .

I had so many trips down to my dealership in the first 6 months or so , that i was on first name terms with all the staff in servicing , and i'm being serious now , i even had my own seat reserved ( now i'm mucking about again ) , i can't be bothered to list each and every visit , but in the main it was to try and sort out the brake squeal , not to mention of course my clutch & pressure plate were changed after 3 months , i never did get my washer jets or rusty wheel nuts replaced as my dealership dug their heels in and insisted that they were not a warranty issue .

i have my car only for 10months and 15000km..

lets start with te problems:

*steering column

*both front headlights

*door rubbers

*the shift color that controls the back of the seat has gone!!

*back both disk and brake caliber

*front brake pads

*parking sensors have their own personality!!they hit whenever they want

alternator giving no charge (7000miles) changed and all is ok.

squeeks and rattles i would not count as warranty unless a part has actually broken.

as said the Auris is mass produced and some interior noises are bound to be present.

a lot depends on the road surface you drive on and also how 'picky' you are.

you need to remember the class of vehicle you buy. the Auris is by no means a top end luxury car, but in comparason to other cars in the same class it is a lot better than most.

Best regards, Alex

Blimey , how wide is your bum :lol: :lol2: Sorry alex , i could'nt resist that mate , only kidding of course .

:lol: Haha no problem. Guess it's my bad that I like using my car instead of walking :rolleyes: :P

*both front headlights

*door rubbers

What was the problem with headlights, moisture getting on the inside?

And why were the door rubbers changed?

Just trying to learn what are the most common problems as I'm sure it'll be easier to pay attention on things if they're allready mentioned here :)

Its a Toyota.It should not rattle.

+1, previous one did not rattle. It was older, cheaper and also Toyota. Why should this one then? Cars should become better, not worse!

Best regards, Alex

es moisture was every night inside in bothlights

and rubbers because noise came from doors aftr 100khm now the door closes like a fridge..nice and sticky

sunvisor passenger side

rattle from dash

gearknob paint peeling

rattle from drivers door

steering wheel recall

EGR recall

What was the problem with the sunvisor?

What is heatshield? :huh:

The fuel gauge and range indication won't become better. They are designed to work that way. Even when range meter shows 0km you can still drive and drive. It is made to warn you when you should fuel up, but as you notice how inaccurate it is, it's not really helping anymore because you continue driving and ignore the meter. Then you're just trying to guess when is it REALLY worth to drive to the gas station :D

most of the issues you have are cosmetic and nothing really major- squeaks and rattles. Toyota is mass production car so you can't really expect Aston Martin quality in it.

But I still paid 24k€ for it which is a lot, so I think I have right to feel anger, too... New car is new car, something's not right when it's leaving you on the road and the squeaks and rattles are faults too. I drove Yaris before, and did not hear squeaks or rattles even it was cheaper car. The problems aren't major, that is true. But I just don't want to hear rattles and squeaks when I'm driving. If I would've wanted to hear those I'd have bought some other car...

Best regards, Alex

sunvisor problem :

the passenger side sunvisor has a vanity mirror and the sunvisor pvc skin did not fit around the surround trim of the mirror , leaving an edge exposed, a pure parts quality issue.

heat shield:

Along the length of the exhaust you have aluminium or steel sheet acting as a heat shield against the underfloor components brake tubes, handbrake cables etc...it is fitted with flimsy clip features that do the job IF they are properly assembled, mine wasn't and it rattled itself off and broke the fixing...

It is in the centre section, directly below the handbrake, on the underside of the car.

Fuel gauge :

I know it is meant to be pessimistic on fuel reserve, to make you go and refuel earlier,

My issue is this

I fill up (brim-it) and it gives me a range of 330miles ( i always achieve above 400)

The first bar goes off after 120miles

the second bar goes off after 80 miles

the third bar goes off around 50-60 miles

(if you check the range here it will tell you you have 150 miles )

Do the maths and you'll see this has to be the most NON-linear fuel gauge ever and the range indication is pointless

and as you say the last bar will last in excess of 60 miles...

Astons are mass produced... just in smaller volumes, and that is not a gurantee of quality (extreme example is TVR, Morgan etc... ) If you do the engineering right and the validation right ( which Toyota are known for... ) you can put it together better than any low volume manufacturer)

No excuses...

I agree some of the issues are minor and not related to the reliability of the car, which has been proven itself in that respect, however regarding QUALITY

I EXPECT better quality that Aston Martin, I don't expect better Perceived Quality ( the feel look and sense the car gives you when you sit in it.)

I expect the build quality to be better, the fit and finish to be better off the line (as opposed to the re-work and offline adjustments an Aston will need before it goes to a customer..) I expect no rattles (that is simply bad engineering/bad parts quality/lazy development) and certainly expect no bad quality parts.

:) you can't really compare Aston (100k car) with Auris. In fact we all expect highest quality from the product we buy but how profitable is that for the company that makes it? If you had the same feeling in Auris as in Aston then there will be no reason for existence of Lexus. The main purpose of mass produced goods is to earn money. People expect maximum reliability from Toyota- that means more tests and research to get better quality crucial, mechanical parts. It costs a lot and you still need to make profit so you must save somewhere else to keep the car price in brackets. The "somewhere else" is interior plastic or seat material cheaply manufactured in China or India.

Look how many manufacturers use the same parts bins to keep the costs down. You will find Fiat re-branded engines in many car makes so they don't have to spend money developing their own. The reliability is questionable but instead you get cool interior and few more electronic gizmos.

:) you can't really compare Aston (100k car) with Auris. In fact we all expect highest quality from the product we buy but how profitable is that for the company that makes it? If you had the same feeling in Auris as in Aston then there will be no reason for existence of Lexus. The main purpose of mass produced goods is to earn money. People expect maximum reliability from Toyota- that means more tests and research to get better quality crucial, mechanical parts. It costs a lot and you still need to make profit so you must save somewhere else to keep the car price in brackets. The "somewhere else" is interior plastic or seat material cheaply manufactured in China or India.

Look how many manufacturers use the same parts bins to keep the costs down. You will find Fiat re-branded engines in many car makes so they don't have to spend money developing their own. The reliability is questionable but instead you get cool interior and few more electronic gizmos.

You are of course quite correct in saying, in effect, that within a given budget increased benefits in one area must be balanced by reduced benefits in another. Unfortunately I believe that Toyota has 'overbalanced' with the AURIS with the result that they have produced an interior which would be acceptable on a car costing around £10,000 but not in one which is very much more expensive. As more complaints, particularly about the seats, filter through the system it is almost inevitable that Toyota's reputation for quality will take a hit. For myself, I bought the car with a view to long term ownership but I am now thinking that it might be prudent to move on when the warranty expires.

you need to remember that cars today are designed by accountants.

if deleting 1 clip saves 0.5p per part calculate that over the model life (around 1,000,000 units ) and you can see that there is a saving to be had.

rattles to me are a personal issue.

when you hear somthing your ears become tuned into it and it becomes more apparent. ive lost count of the times ive been in a car and been ask "there, did you hear it?" when i cant here anything. so what one person hears another might not until someone mentions it to them and then they will always hear it. as far as im aware all modern cars come with a stereo as std. having that on even at a moderate level should drown out most interior noise.

because the greenies want everything to be recycled (not a bad thing in itself) manufacturers have to use recycleable materials. these in my opinion have a cheaper harder feel which will make any contact points more suseptable to noise.

every singl vehicle built at burnaston goes through a UIN test (unusual interior noise) the car is driven at around 20km down a belgian pave road in a sound insulated tunnel. the member then listens and reports any unusual noise heard and if nessesary sends the vehicle for investigation and retest.

trust me i have been in a car to listen to a noise that has been heard and i struggled to hear it!

some items may 'loosen' up over time but to be fair that can happen to any car.

You are of course quite correct in saying, in effect, that within a given budget increased benefits in one area must be balanced by reduced benefits in another. Unfortunately I believe that Toyota has 'overbalanced' with the AURIS with the result that they have produced an interior which would be acceptable on a car costing around £10,000 but not in one which is very much more expensive. As more complaints, particularly about the seats, filter through the system it is almost inevitable that Toyota's reputation for quality will take a hit. For myself, I bought the car with a view to long term ownership but I am now thinking that it might be prudent to move on when the warranty expires.

From a perceived quality ( the look and feel of materials and the image it presents to the customer) you can't compare them

From a specification and features list... you can't either

but

From a quality perspective you can compare an Aston with an Auris...

if you design with cheap materials, you understand the material properties, and you design the construction to make it robust and clip positively so it won't rattle... or you simplyfy the structure to eliminate tolerance stack ups etc...

Rattle and squeaks can occurr fron 0mileage, but more likely than not, require a "settling in period" and a heat cycle (summer and/or winter) to cause harnesses to sag, plastics to expand and contract etc... that is why you have durability tests and mileage accumulation tests, to record and monitor these items...and report them as "deterioration" issues (not "durability" as the functionality of the part is still OK)

So taking shortcuts in design and development to meet the cost and timing to lanch targets will always compromise Quality...

It is the unfortunate fact of automotive OEM's ... and it is sad to see Toyota suffer from this, albeit probably to a lesser degree than other OEMS.

EXMEG i fink u have nailed it there! Bang on! If the car costed less, we wouldnt be complaining. But it hasnt cost just 10K. I totally agree that the interior is not acceptable at any level. I very much doubt i will keep this car past its warranty. I cannot afford to maintain it!! I have bought a corolla in the past and kept it well over its warranty. Not had a single problem. I think 07 auris models should be scrapped!

AURISSIMO, sori 2 hear all the problems youv faced!

Also, wer sitting in this forum discussing it and not doing anything about it! Itl be too late once the warrantys expired. We are all clearly unhappy and im sure if we all got together and contacted Toyota HQ, it would have more of an effect?! I fink ACTION is required!!

ABZ-T2 :thumbsup:

every singl vehicle built at burnaston goes through a UIN test (unusual interior noise) the car is driven at around 20km down a belgian pave road in a sound insulated tunnel. trust me i have been in a car

Dawesy, there's one thing which came to my mind. I knew before that cars are being test driven when they're coming out of factory. They're being also driven to the transportation truck, probably to the ship, then to the truck when they're at the destination harbour... How is it possible that I had 0km on the clock when I received the car? I'm sure guys at Toyota dealership in Finland were also driving it as they got some accessories installed etc...

wer sitting in this forum discussing it and not doing anything about it! Itl be too late once the warrantys expired. We are all clearly unhappy and im sure if we all got together and contacted Toyota HQ, it would have more of an effect?! I fink ACTION is required!!

ABZ-T2 :thumbsup:

I think you're right mate. But we're going to need a separate thread to make a plan and discuss how are we going to go forward. I'm in! How about you guys?

Best regards, Alex

if you design with cheap materials, you understand the material properties, and you design the construction to make it robust and clip positively so it won't rattle... or you simplyfy the structure to eliminate tolerance stack ups etc...

Again research and engineering time cost money- most likely you are going to use workaround like sponge or silicon spray :) Me being engineer myself I know how development process may look depends on market target. Very similar situation is with fixes- the time and "quality" depends who is asking for.

Rattle and squeaks can occurr fron 0mileage, but more likely than not, require a "settling in period" and a heat cycle (summer and/or winter) to cause harnesses to sag, plastics to expand and contract etc... that is why you have durability tests and mileage accumulation tests, to record and monitor these items...and report them as "deterioration" issues (not "durability" as the functionality of the part is still OK)

So taking shortcuts in design and development to meet the cost and timing to lanch targets will always compromise Quality...

It is the unfortunate fact of automotive OEM's ... and it is sad to see Toyota suffer from this, albeit probably to a lesser degree than other OEMS.

My car had few rattles when was new- now all is gone :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links