Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Hid Kit

duncanda

Hi. I recently bought a HID conversion kit for my 2003 Avensis and the generic instructions say to cut a 25mm diameter in the back of the cap covering the original bulbs. This is to allow a rubber bung of the new kit to fit. I would like to know if anyone who has bought a similar conversion kit whether this is actually necessary. Thanks.

Not sure but if it's a proper HID kit make sure you fit a self levelling system and headlamp washers, otherwise you might get a tap on the shoulder.

I recently bought a HID conversion kit for my 2003 Avensis and the generic instructions say to cut a 25mm diameter in the back of the cap covering the original bulbs. This is to allow a rubber bung of the new kit to fit. I would like to know if anyone who has bought a similar conversion kit whether this is actually necessary

yes, it's necesary, because you have to install the ballast outside of the headlight, but the bulb and the wires are situated on the other side of the cap ("inside " of headlight), so you'll pass 4 wires (+, -, and both bulb wires) through the rubber bung

Hi. I recently bought a HID conversion kit for my 2003 Avensis and the generic instructions say to cut a 25mm diameter in the back of the cap covering the original bulbs. This is to allow a rubber bung of the new kit to fit. I would like to know if anyone who has bought a similar conversion kit whether this is actually necessary. Thanks.

Won't worry too much about tap on shoulder......as long as your beam pattern is level and within the law (get it checked at any MOT center...about £10-£15) and also let your insurance company know as you have made or are about to make a modification. Also if yout take out your headlights to install the HID's try to seal any gaps left after cutting with a sealent as you'll start to get condensation. :)

Won't worry too much about tap on shoulder......as long as your beam pattern is level and within the law (get it checked at any MOT center...about £10-£15) and also let your insurance company know as you have made or are about to make a modification. Also if yout take out your headlights to install the HID's try to seal any gaps left after cutting with a sealent as you'll start to get condensation. :)

The legal position on fitting after-market HID headligts is set out distinctly and clearly by the Dept of Transport - see link below. Also insurers will assume any mods you make will comply with the law and guidance notes. This clearly states the vehicle should be fitted with headlight washers and an automatic self-levelling system.

In my opinion any driver using such lamps runs a high risk of dazzling other road user which may result in an accident - in other words it ain't safe and very unfair to other drivers who have vehicles which comply with the law.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

The legal position on fitting after-market HID headligts is set out distinctly and clearly by the Dept of Transport - see link below. Also insurers will assume any mods you make will comply with the law and guidance notes. This clearly states the vehicle should be fitted with headlight washers and an automatic self-levelling system.

In my opinion any driver using such lamps runs a high risk of dazzling other road user which may result in an accident - in other words it ain't safe and very unfair to other drivers who have vehicles which comply with the law.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

If toyota had fitted headlamps that were up to the job in the first place you would not need to fit hids kits,so go ahead duncanda and fit them and enjoy,they are fantastic.

Hi All. Thanks for your advice. Now it's winter and I'm driving home in the dark, the Avensis lights are rubbish (even though I've already had fitted extra brights bulbs and had them adjusted to maximum elevation). As Rossy says, if Toyota had fitted proper headlights then I wouldn't need to fit HIDs. Makes you wonder how the car passed testing for use in the UK, or anywhere for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted the HID kit at the weekend. Took about 1hour 45mins and they work a treat. Bought it for £50+.

The DfT site is interesting in stating about aftermarket HID kits: "If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern." Pity they don't say that if you buy a 2003+ Avensis you won't be able to glare anyone as the standard lights are p**s poor.

Anyway I can illuminate the road ahead more than 10 feet now and so far I haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic, so unlikely that I'm dazzling oncoming traffic and will get the lights checked.

Fitted the HID kit at the weekend. Took about 1hour 45mins and they work a treat. Bought it for £50+.

The DfT site is interesting in stating about aftermarket HID kits: "If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern." Pity they don't say that if you buy a 2003+ Avensis you won't be able to glare anyone as the standard lights are p**s poor.

Anyway I can illuminate the road ahead more than 10 feet now and so far I haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic, so unlikely that I'm dazzling oncoming traffic and will get the lights checked.

Got any photos of where you have put the ballast box things and the hole in the back of the headlight. Thinking of doing this but not sure where to mount the bits etc.

David

Hi peanutome

Sorry I haven't any photos.

I drilled the hole for the grommet and wires through the indentation in the plastic cover. It's about midway on the cover. For the kit I had I used a 25mm drill and arbor. I located the offside ballast box by !Removed! it to a hole in the offside suspension turret. I've temporarily located the nearside ballast box by lodging it between the air filter and adjacent fuse box by using Duck Tape. I need to find a more permanent location, but there's less space on the nearside because of the air filter box and fuse boxes. Fortunately I didn't need to remove the bumper etc. to do the job, but loosen and move the Battery to get better access to the nearside.

Good luck. It's not as big a job as I anticipated.

Hi peanutome

Sorry I haven't any photos.

I drilled the hole for the grommet and wires through the indentation in the plastic cover. It's about midway on the cover. For the kit I had I used a 25mm drill and arbor. I located the offside ballast box by !Removed! it to a hole in the offside suspension turret. I've temporarily located the nearside ballast box by lodging it between the air filter and adjacent fuse box by using Duck Tape. I need to find a more permanent location, but there's less space on the nearside because of the air filter box and fuse boxes. Fortunately I didn't need to remove the bumper etc. to do the job, but loosen and move the battery to get better access to the nearside.

Good luck. It's not as big a job as I anticipated.

Cheers for the reply, have ordered a set with slim ballasts so should be easier to fit. Am looking forward to being able to see at night! Does it make loads of difference?

David

I bought 4300K bulbs with slim ballasts from Oxford Tinting for £47 + P&P. The brightest is 4300K and they do make a big difference.

• 1 month later...

That's good product. I recently bought a HID conversion kit for my 2003 Avensis and the generic instructions say to cut a 25mm diameter in the back of the cap covering the original bulbs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links