Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Rav

OldRaver

and there I was sitting in the middle lane of the M3 after a loud bang from under the hood.... very scary.

So cambelt broke - interesting really as the previous owner had it replaced 8k miles ago by a garage that shall be known as Johnny Cowboy. Thankfully this car is under the Toyota Used approved scheme and is in the process of being fixed. So is it a faulty belt or faulty workmanship? Waiting to hear the outcome but as Johnny Cowboy also fitted a new clutch and DMF just over 3k miles ago should I be worried? The belt came from Unipart but don't know about the parts for the clutch and DMF work. Local Toyota garage that car was purchased from have been excellent so far but the process seems to be taking a long time - something about who might be actually be responsible for this engine failure ie who will actually pay to get all this fixed. Local Mr T have said they will replace the clutch and DMF if not gen. Toyota parts - hope so. I'm hoping a new engine instead of a short block rebuild what do you guys think? Oh and for good measure as I was waiting for the flatbed a wheel weight was thrown up off the motorway and took out my rear screen.... Happy days. Will update as and when there is more to report but now been waiting since December 9 to get the Rav back.

It's possible the belt was changed but not the tensioner pulley as recommended.:)

Any warranty you have is with the supplier not the previous owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought that I'd let you all know I'm still waiting to get the Rav back - although last week Mr T kindly agreed to fix the car (as I have been waiting since 9 December) and then to fight out with the belt manufacturers who pays for it all. Will let you know when I do what exactly was replaced etc. Had no chance to try out the Rav in the snow which was a shame.

I'm really hoping this was just bad luck and was a faulty belt and not bad fitting that caused the failure. Reason being that the DMF was replaced less than 4k miles ago by the same garage that did the belt...(not a Toyota dealer). I wondered why the previous owner changed it so soon after spending all that money - did he know something?

There is more scope for an error in fitting a timing belt than a dmf/clutch.

As James says the tensioner and any other worn or noisy pulley's should have been changed and setting the tension is often down to experience. A slack belt will resonate and vibrate while a tight belt will whine.

Changing the dmf is a matter of unbolting one and bolting up the new one. As long as they followed basic priciples of tightening sequences and torques you should have no further problems.

Thanks for your replies -

Anchorman/Jamesbelfast - The invoice for the work showed a full kit was charged for so therefore one assumes fitted. I guess the possible incorrect fitting of it could have been the cause of the failure. It's with Mr T now so I'm expecting it to be done correctly.

jedi134 - yes it is a very long time to be without a car but after the initial period covered by the RAC we used another car for a couple of days and then Mr T very kindly lent us an Urban Cruiser which we are still using. What an 'interesting' little car!

• 1 month later...

Well if the Gods shine on me then tomorrow I may get the Rav back I can't believe that my last post on this was 20 January! Still not entirely sure what has been done to repair it - will let you all know when I do. Is this a candidate for the Guiness Book of Records? :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links