Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts-c Running Costs Etc

Shappers

Hey there guys,

Realize I may be flogging a dead donkey but i've done loads of searches and still not come up with the answers I want!

I currently drive a '58 plate Yaris SR Diesel, but due to a change of circumstances i'm looking at something a little bit more exciting. Don't want to stray away from the Jap cars though, so the 'rolla T sport seems like a sensible choice! However, in a quest for something even more exciting i'm being pointed towards the compressor version of the T sport.... can't beat that rear end!

However, i'm a bit worried that the additional running costs aren't worth a minimal increase in speed... Basically the insurance would only be £50 extra on the comp a year, so I can live with that, but what about fuel consumption? I guess with the T sport its quite easy to get decent miles if you keep it outta the high cams, but with the comp is it continually drinking low down in the revs cause of the supercharger? What I really want to know is how many miles you get from a tank, and how much the tank costs to fill up, none of this mpg nonsense ;)

And secondly, performance difference... a few people say there's nothing in it, but surely the comp must have the edge, even below law breaking speeds? For example exited a roundabout in 2nd gear the Comp should muller a T sport because of the 26bhp increase and extra torque? Also I understand the comp would be easy to drive consistently quickly with the cams engaging at a lower rpm...

Theres a local Toyota dealership near me with a very tidy looking T sport (leather interior, parking sensors) but its on an '05 and they're wanting £8.5K for it. Wayyy overpriced but gives me a starting point, will be test driving when the weather sorts itself out! It's in Steel Silver too, which i'm unconvinced by, anyone else have this colour?

Well thats all for now... plenty of other questions over time i'm sure!! And again, apologies if you feel like i'm repeating previous topics - I swear i've searched for the answers!

Cheers,

Shap

Hey there guys,

Realize I may be flogging a dead donkey but i've done loads of searches and still not come up with the answers I want!

I currently drive a '58 plate Yaris SR Diesel, but due to a change of circumstances i'm looking at something a little bit more exciting. Don't want to stray away from the Jap cars though, so the 'rolla T sport seems like a sensible choice! However, in a quest for something even more exciting i'm being pointed towards the compressor version of the T sport.... can't beat that rear end!

However, i'm a bit worried that the additional running costs aren't worth a minimal increase in speed... Basically the insurance would only be £50 extra on the comp a year, so I can live with that, but what about fuel consumption? I guess with the T sport its quite easy to get decent miles if you keep it outta the high cams, but with the comp is it continually drinking low down in the revs cause of the supercharger? What I really want to know is how many miles you get from a tank, and how much the tank costs to fill up, none of this mpg nonsense ;)

And secondly, performance difference... a few people say there's nothing in it, but surely the comp must have the edge, even below law breaking speeds? For example exited a roundabout in 2nd gear the Comp should muller a T sport because of the 26bhp increase and extra torque? Also I understand the comp would be easy to drive consistently quickly with the cams engaging at a lower rpm...

Theres a local Toyota dealership near me with a very tidy looking T sport (leather interior, parking sensors) but its on an '05 and they're wanting £8.5K for it. Wayyy overpriced but gives me a starting point, will be test driving when the weather sorts itself out! It's in Steel Silver too, which i'm unconvinced by, anyone else have this colour?

Well thats all for now... plenty of other questions over time i'm sure!! And again, apologies if you feel like i'm repeating previous topics - I swear i've searched for the answers!

Cheers,

Shap

Mine has parking sensors although not leather, but a few tasteful and somewhat needed mods (breaks , coilovers etc). Its on an 04 plate with 44k and is for sale 6.5k ovno.

In regards to running cost chap it all depends on how you drive and where you drive (speed limits) put it this way i can get an average of 39 ish with a mixture of town driving and faster roads.

hope that helps

compressors will average under 30mpg from what ive heard/seen on other members cars so its not great on fuel.

from memory it cost me about 45 quid to fill up the t sport i had with high octane petrol and it lasted around 280-320 miles depending on how i drove..

and lastly, i sold my t sport with 62k on the clock for 5200. mods wont really add value when it comes time to sell but could be a nice addition if youre planning on changing parts later on :)

I never get more than 29-30mpg out of my t-sport, full tank gets me 290-300 miles...no more!

If you can afford it then buy it and enjoy it!

I'm getting about 25mpg on average with my TS :( I'd dread to think what I'd get if I had a compressor lol.

It may only be £50 difference for insurance..but from what I've heard the compressor's aren't very reliable. Many owners have had ongoing issues, most fixed under warranty but I wouldn't like to think how much the repair bills would be once warranty expires.

The horror stories of exhausts/cats with £2,000+ repair bills (if it was out of warranty) is shocking for a mass produced UK built car albeit a limited edition special.

I'd still have one over the van though :lol: ;)

compressors are juicy on fuel. T-sports are better if you want fun supercharge it later....theres more coming out for the t-sport aswell....MWR stage 3 cams...Hello!

I get about 25 mpg depending on how often I hit lift, hitting lift all the time will bring this down to about 22mpg.

Fill up costs about £45.00 from quarter of a tank at the present cost.

Thanks for the input guys.

Running costs aren't an issue - I just want the real facts before I make the commitment! My mileage is so minimal, it doesn't make any sense driving the diesel, I might as well have something that's quick!

I've noticed a few threads with people having problems with their comp's, one of the reasons i'm staying Jap is because of the reliability! Might have to steer clear!

Cheers again, i'll keep you posted :D

as with any car you boot it you use fuel driven normally its no more thirsty than the corsa vxr i used to have,as for reliability had the rear shocks done under warranty and the supercharger but i think the charger was ok but cost me nothing.exhaust is stainless steel custom job on mine so no crappy exhaust to worry about.24 mpg urban about combined i have seen near the 38 quoted by toyota driven at 60 mph but don't bover anymore i just put fuel in when it needs it which is quite regular :lol:

as with any car you boot it you use fuel driven normally its no more thirsty than the corsa vxr i used to have,as for reliability had the rear shocks done under warranty and the supercharger but i think the charger was ok but cost me nothing.exhaust is stainless steel custom job on mine so no crappy exhaust to worry about.24 mpg urban about combined i have seen near the 38 quoted by toyota driven at 60 mph but don't bover anymore i just put fuel in when it needs it which is quite regular :lol:

Interesting you mention the VXR... another car I was toying with is the Corsa Sri - same engine effectively as the VXR but no rubbish bodykit and stupidly large wheels. Proper Q car. (once you pay £600 for a remap to 220bhp...) Only thing steering me away is the reliaiblity, heard some proper horror stories from brand new cars and VX not doing anything under warranty. Its a shame cause you can get a 6 month SRi for £9K...

Firstly, as with any car the fuel consumption will depend on how heavy you are with you're right foot. If you bomb around everywhere you are going to get very bad consumption. I reckon I get the normal average of 30 but as soon as you do lots of town driving that drops. Seem to get about 300 miles a tank, on long runs not that different from my father in laws 1.6 corolla. The big difference is filling up with high octane, costs about £50 to fill.

Secondly, reliability is ok. I've had the leaky shock thing that other people have had. A little squeak as well, but much less than the myriad of issues I had with a similar age mr2. The main problem is that if something does go wrong it is expensive to fix because it's a special edition, for example rear shocks are £375 each compared to £50 for t sport ones!

Thirdly, performance is great. I found it very different to the t sport. Feels much quicker, handling a lot better, but you may find the t sport suits your driving style.

Personally, id get one, I like the fact it is limited edition. And I found the t sport a little dull in comparison. You could tune a t sport, I tend not to because as soon as you touch a car you de value it and with the second hand car market the way it is I wouldn't do it.

Just my opinion though of course.

Interesting you mention the VXR... another car I was toying with is the Corsa Sri - same engine effectively as the VXR but no rubbish bodykit and stupidly large wheels. Proper Q car. (once you pay £600 for a remap to 220bhp...) Only thing steering me away is the reliaiblity, heard some proper horror stories from brand new cars and VX not doing anything under warranty. Its a shame cause you can get a 6 month SRi for £9K...

loads of issues with vauxhall have a look at the vxr forum pistons melting after re maps is the norm and not gettin done under warranty,screens cracking,afm,wheel bearings etc paintwork chips so easy its unreal,so the compressor is a great buy if you want something rare.

Well the fact it's rare is a bonus, completely. That said, can't remember the last time I saw a Tsport on the road, and I quite like the fact it's understated.

My run to work is about 10 miles each way, so mileage ain't really an issue. Can drive like a granny when needed!

Will be buying from a toyota main dealer becuase of the finance deal on the Yaris - hoping they can sort me out with some kind of package. Would mean a 12 month warranty, so not so much of an issue for the reliability. At the end of the day, most of the parts are from a standard corolla, which is bulletproof!

It's a real heart/head decision.....!

Well the fact it's rare is a bonus, completely. That said, can't remember the last time I saw a Tsport on the road, and I quite like the fact it's understated.

My run to work is about 10 miles each way, so mileage ain't really an issue. Can drive like a granny when needed!

Will be buying from a toyota main dealer becuase of the finance deal on the Yaris - hoping they can sort me out with some kind of package. Would mean a 12 month warranty, so not so much of an issue for the reliability. At the end of the day, most of the parts are from a standard corolla, which is bulletproof!

It's a real heart/head decision.....!

Personally..I quite like my TS without a supercharger. As we know it's a very under rated car and everyone that knows me are always surprised that it's an NA 1.8. If I had a compressor on the other hand, yes it would be faster but some might say it would be less impressive because it's supercharged ;)

Personal preference really..but for me, the TS satisfies everything, performance, comfort and reliability. I was thinking of getting a compressor but I decided that extra few grand wasn't worth it and issues with reliability would always worry me. Yeh, the compressor is limited edition, but the TS is pretty rare anyway, people tend to go for the Civic Type R and then get a big shock when a CTS manages to keep up lol.

Also a member recently posted his dyno results of his TS with only a K&N typhoon and TTE backbox, managed over 200bhp..some are still scepticle about the results but as farhan said there are more and more things coming out for the TS. Even as standard though, it performs quite well and is a lot of fun and I think for 5-6 grand, it's an excellent buy.

Sorry for the ramble, just thought I'd give my opinion :)

Thanks for all the input guys, certainly gives me a lot to be thinking about!!

Given the need to run the Compressor on V-Power a full tank is now costing just over £50. On average i get between 200 and 240 miles to a tank. A heavy right foot really doesn't help.

Apart from the fuel costs I've spent very little on mine. New rear shocks and rear brake discs fitted under warranty. Tyres dont exactly last long. Managed to squeeze about 7000 miles out of the last set of fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

local toyota dealership has just got in a T sport Comp, so going to have a looky this weekend and see what I think! Will keep you posted!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links