Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Getting An Avensis 2.2d Tourer

Golaboots

Hello

I'm looking to change my '05 Volvo s60 D5 to something younger, with less miles and an estate body.

I've been impressed by a colleague's Avensis hatch (last gen) and have been looking at the 2.2D Estate models. Maybe a T3-S trim or TR.

I've had a quick look at the forum and haven't spotted a check list for used Avensis. What should I look out for? MPG as good as quoted? Particular problems?

Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Volvo, both got a reputation for safe and reliable but dull to drive (all fine by me.) The volvo has been faultless across 80k miles, I know Toyota have a reputation for doing likewise.

Also, whats the tallest item you can get in the boot? I was hoping to stand two mountain bikes next to each other, with the front wheels and seatposts removed. They come to 83cm high.

I'm also looking at Saab 9-3 estates, any thoughts or experience with those?

Thanks for reading.

I've had a quick look at the forum and haven't spotted a check list for used Avensis. What should I look out for? MPG as good as quoted? Particular problems?

mileage is of course going to depend upon the conditions that you drive in & your driving style - in the summer I average ~45mpg but it drops in the winter as it's colder (longer warm up) & I do fewer long journeys on motorways/dual carriageways.

Assuming that we are talking about a T25 & not the latest version:

poor headlights although upgraded bulbs help a lot (but the bulbs themselves are a pain to change).

the 2.2 D4D possibly seems to have a problem with head/head gaskets - you can search the forum.

Sat Nav upgrade discs are silly money - you can buy a brand new Garmin/TomTom for less ...

Also, whats the tallest item you can get in the boot? I was hoping to stand two mountain bikes next to each other, with the front wheels and seatposts removed. They come to 83cm high.

I'll check this for you shortly.

edit: should be doable as long as the 83cm bit is towards the front seats (roof slopes down toward the hatch) & you would have to put them through the hatch at an angle & then rotate to the vertical.

the Saab is of course a Vectra under the skin which is another car worth looking at.

I very nearly bought a Vectra 1.9 TDI 150 estate - imo the Vx drives better, brakes better, has better ventilation & is better thought out as a pure load lugger but it's cabin is a very depressing place. Also it's engine isn't unknown to have problems either - very few modern high pressure common rail diesels seem to be troublefree.

The Avensis counters with a far nicer driving environment, better oddment storage & some nice touches like an illuminated keyhole (no more fiddling in the dark to find it) & retractable mirrors.

How about an Accord Tourer? They seem to have less engine than Avensis'. Or if you want to keep the comfort of your Volvo, what about a facelift V70?

How about an Accord Tourer? They seem to have less engine than Avensis'. Or if you want to keep the comfort of your Volvo, what about a facelift V70?

Hello

Thanks for all the information. I'd have another volvo in a shot but where as the S60 is a steal the V70 costs way more. If it was purely my choice I'd have the Accord in a shot (drive well, reliable and affordable) but the Mrs can't stand the styling. I can see what she means but I like the slab sides.

I think I'll miss the volvo what ever I buy, its full of thoughtful design, illuminated ignition socket, parking ticket holder etc. Mine is the 163bhp D5 and it has tons of torque plus an awesome stereo.

I used to have a 53 vectra 2.0dti hatch which was nice enough (rubbish engine though) but I don't think I'll go along that route again.

Madzda 6's while decent just seem a bit old, likewise with last gen mondeo.

I think it will come down to Avensis, Saab 9-3, Volvo V50 (if the bikes fit.)

Volvo V70's might slip in if they get cheaper or the accord if I can talk the Mrs round.

I ran a Cadillac BLS Estate 1.9D 150 PS Auto for 6mths/25k, it was a lovely car comfy and fast enough was MPG on the 40's. The Saab is the same car exactly just with Badge and cosmetic changes, the Vectra provides the chassis and shares the same FIAT engines. Mine suffered constant Engine Management warning lights and limp mode for the 1st 4 weeks until it got a software update. I had this car on March 1st 2006 so they should all be sorted now.

Prior to this i ran an V70 D5 Manual for 6mths/25k, and it was a faster more solid car and much bigger, also the 5cyl engine sounded lovely :)

Then i started working for Honda and had several Accords with the 2.2 i-CDTI, and they were faultless good on fuel and never an issue on any of them. The styling is admittedly not a highlight but they do have a huge loadbay. The engine is brilliant.

Our Verso is the 2.2 136PS and is so much louder than any of the above, its like its from an earlier generation. I do appreciate the Avensis could be better insulated.

I think the V70 is in the class above the other cars from a price/running cost perspective but for me i would have one over the others.

I ran a Cadillac BLS Estate 1.9D 150 PS Auto for 6mths/25k, it was a lovely car comfy and fast enough was MPG on the 40's. The Saab is the same car exactly just with badge and cosmetic changes, the Vectra provides the chassis and shares the same FIAT engines. Mine suffered constant Engine Management warning lights and limp mode for the 1st 4 weeks until it got a software update. I had this car on March 1st 2006 so they should all be sorted now.

Prior to this i ran an V70 D5 Manual for 6mths/25k, and it was a faster more solid car and much bigger, also the 5cyl engine sounded lovely :)

Then i started working for Honda and had several Accords with the 2.2 i-CDTI, and they were faultless good on fuel and never an issue on any of them. The styling is admittedly not a highlight but they do have a huge loadbay. The engine is brilliant.

Our Verso is the 2.2 136PS and is so much louder than any of the above, its like its from an earlier generation. I do appreciate the Avensis could be better insulated.

I think the V70 is in the class above the other cars from a price/running cost perspective but for me i would have one over the others.

Good information. Always nice to get the point of view from someone who knows where you're coming from. The D5 (even the 163) is fantastic for overtaking between 50-70 in 4th, almost sounds like a petrol V8 and goes like it too.

I knew my S60 was a bargain, probably because of the relative lack of practicality!

I'll have to try a few of the different cars out. It sounds like the Saab and Honda might be closer to what I'm used to.

Hello

I'm looking to change my '05 Volvo s60 D5 to something younger, with less miles and an estate body.

I've been impressed by a colleague's Avensis hatch (last gen) and have been looking at the 2.2D Estate models. Maybe a T3-S trim or TR.

Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Volvo, both got a reputation for safe and reliable but dull to drive (all fine by me.) The volvo has been faultless across 80k miles, I know Toyota have a reputation for doing likewise.

Thanks for reading.

I will keep this one very brief, only get an Avensis 2.2 d4d if they give you at least 5 years warranty on the engine! End of!

Regards Pete.

Madzda 6's while decent just seem a bit old, likewise with last gen mondeo.

the latest 6 particularly with the 2.2 diesel is a very nice car but you are unlikely imo to get 1 for T25 Avensis money, same with the Accord & the latest generation Mondeo (& the Ford 2.2 TDi has a history of problems too).

I've personally always had a dislike of the Volvo 850/V70 but if you are fine with them ...

My 2.2 D4D is comfortable & drives well enough for my needs & whilst there does seem to be a potential problem with heads/head gaskets it also seems that Toyota recognise it & look kindly on claims even outside normal warranty period/mileage.

I am on my third Avenis est. (1) old shape 1.8 petrol, (2) last generation 1.8 petrol and (3) new nose job last generation (’58 plate) 2.0 D4D TR.

I wanted the 2.2 but when I realised the extras over the 2.0 were very few, but the economy was a lot better (as well as buying price) I went for the 2.0. the 2.2 may be a bit quicker, but there is a lot on this forum about certain reliability issues, and you buy a Toyota for reliability. All mine (this one included) have been bullet proof. If you get a late 2.0 TR you get cruise control, colour voice sat nav with traffic avoidance, climate etc etc. The only thing I would point a finger at is the stereo Speakers on some bass music can buzz a bit – but adjust the bass/treble and it pretty much goes.

The 2.0 wins easily over the 2.2 for me.

Oh yes, and it still goes like stink – take a test drive and see!

Hello

Thanks for reading.

I wouldn't even consider another Toyota 2.2d-4d. A Toyota garage has admitted that many of them have failed after 15,000 miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links