Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Axle Stands, Trolley Jacks, Wheel Ramps

Ravmania

Hi,

I have the diagrams of the load bearing points for jacking up my 4.2 d-4d from one of the old posts but am not sure on a couple of things...

I'm gonna jump right in and myself look soft here but how do you move the axle stand under the jacking point while the jack is in the way?

Can you use the standard jack to raise the car from the centre point and then slide the axel stands under the jacking points at the side or should this only be done with a trolley jack?

I'm guessing they aren't they called axle stands because you can put them under the axles so why the name?

Thanks

Hi,

I have the diagrams of the load bearing points for jacking up my 4.2 d-4d from one of the old posts but am not sure on a couple of things...

I'm gonna jump right in and myself look soft here but how do you move the axle stand under the jacking point while the jack is in the way?

Can you use the standard jack to raise the car from the centre point and then slide the axel stands under the jacking points at the side or should this only be done with a trolley jack?

I'm guessing they aren't they called axle stands because you can put them under the axles so why the name?

Thanks

evening - wot on earth are you doing jacking cars up at this time?? nicking the wheels ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

First thing to watch is safety. Getting trapped or crushed under a ton weight is not a joyous experience. Jacking the car up by using petrol tank as the jacking point is silly and dangerous but has been done.

I tend to use the suspension wishbone/trailing axle mounting points and then if need be supplement it with axle stands at the proper points. The car doesn't have axles in the old style of things - its driveshafts...and its not a good idea to use these as they are designed to drive the car and not support the weight. The old jack under the diff trick is a bit iffy as well - a short cut to heaven.

The axle stands as such need to be certified to carry the load you intend putting on them, and need to be on secure ground with no chance that the car will move - and placed under suitable load bearing points which as I said are mainly the jacking points; or the suspension main linkage points. I only work under the car if I am sure that there is no way the lump of metal will move or fall when I'm shifting stiff nuts with a bar etc...cos you need to remember the other loads that you yourself will put on the jacks/stands.

The supplied jack must only be used on the marked locations under the sills. A trolley jack must be used anywhere else.

The name "axle stand" goes back to the days of beam axles but they are now used in any appropriate and safe location before any part of a person goes under a lifted vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links