Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Immobiliser Chip Programming Issue (maybe)

Techguy

Hi,

Have a strange issue, wondering if anyone here can help. I have 2 (black, 2 button) keyfobs for my Avensis 1.8 VVTi GS (2001).

I haven't used one of them for about a year, but now one of the buttons on my "main" fob fell off, so I thought I'd use the other fob. Not working, so swapped the Battery. Alarm and central locking operate just fine with it, but the car just won't start when using that key. Seems like immobiliser chip has become de-programmed or something like that.

Looked all over the place here and elsewhere, Google being my friend, but none of the instructions seem to work. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated as I am not looking forward to Toyota dealer rip-off special.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Have a strange issue, wondering if anyone here can help. I have 2 (black, 2 button) keyfobs for my Avensis 1.8 VVTi GS (2001).

I haven't used one of them for about a year, but now one of the buttons on my "main" fob fell off, so I thought I'd use the other fob. Not working, so swapped the battery. Alarm and central locking operate just fine with it, but the car just won't start when using that key. Seems like immobiliser chip has become de-programmed or something like that.

Looked all over the place here and elsewhere, Google being my friend, but none of the instructions seem to work. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated as I am not looking forward to Toyota dealer rip-off special.

Many thanks!

Toyota Avensis July 2000 - 2003

Avensis Verso 2001 - 2006

A total of four remotes can be programmed into the system.

Starting conditions:

- Car unlocked

- Driver's door open

- No key in ignition

Carry out the following within 5 seconds:

Put the key into the ignition and then remove it twice. Do this without turning the ignition on.

Carry out the following within 40 seconds:

Close and open the driver's door twice.

Put the key into the ignition and then remove it. Do this without turning the ignition on.

Put the key into ignition.

Close the driver's door.

Turn the ignition on/off once to program a new remote and keep existing remote(s).

or

Turn the ignition on/off twice to program a new remote and delete existing remote(s).

Remove the key from the ignition.

The central locking should now lock and unlock once to program a new remote and keep existing remote(s).

or

The central locking should now lock and unlock twice to program a new remote and delete existing remote(s).

Carry out the following within 20 seconds:

Avensis - Press the lock button on the remote for at least 1 second.

Avensis Verso - Press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the remote for 1.5 seconds.

Carry out the following within 3 seconds:

Press the lock button on the remote for at least 1 second.

The central locking should now lock and unlock once.

If the central locking locks and unlocks twice the sequence has not been successfully.

Open the driver's to complete the sequence.

Hi, thanks for your reply. These seem to be instructions for programming remotes (as I have managed to get one of them to stop working), but not the immobiliser chip, as the key is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

It will reprogramme the imobiliser as I've done it on my daughters car.

Hmm, I am wondering whether the immobiliser chip is gone or defective somehow. Using the sequence you've given me above I was able to successfully delete (and later re-add) one of the remotes and both keys are (once again) controlling alarm and central locking, however only one of them will start.

What does the immobiliser chip actually look like? Is it embedded into the little device inside they key or can I move it from one fob to the other?

PS The grey key (the one without buttons and battery) wont start the engine either.

It will reprogramme the imobiliser as I've done it on my daughters car.

Hmm, I am wondering whether the immobiliser chip is gone or defective somehow. Using the sequence you've given me above I was able to successfully delete (and later re-add) one of the remotes and both keys are (once again) controlling alarm and central locking, however only one of them will start.

What does the immobiliser chip actually look like? Is it embedded into the little device inside they key or can I move it from one fob to the other?

PS The grey key (the one without buttons and battery) wont start the engine either.

Pm Me and I'll email a photo.

Timson,

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I also have a 2001 Avensis that has lost both buttons from the key fob. I bought a replacement key and have followed your instructions several times down to where the car central locking operates once, but when I press and hold the lock button for at least one second within 20 seconds, and then press and hold the lock button for at least one second within 3 seconds nothing then happens! What am I doing wrong? Please help.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I haven't used one of them for about a year, but now one of the buttons on my "main" fob fell off, so I thought I'd use the other fob. Not working, so swapped the battery. Alarm and central locking operate just fine with it, but the car just won't start when using that key. Seems like immobiliser chip has become de-programmed or something like that.

Many thanks!

Toyota Avensis July 2000 - 2003

Avensis Verso 2001 - 2006

A total of four remotes can be programmed into the system.

Starting conditions:

- Car unlocked

- Driver's door open

- No key in ignition

Carry out the following within 5 seconds:

Put the key into the ignition and then remove it twice. Do this without turning the ignition on.

Put the key into the ignition and then remove it. Do this without turning the ignition on.

Put the key into ignition.

Close the driver's door.

Turn the ignition on/off once to program a new remote and keep existing remote(s).

or

Turn the ignition on/off twice to program a new remote and delete existing remote(s).

Remove the key from the ignition.

The central locking should now lock and unlock once to program a new remote and keep existing remote(s).

or

The central locking should now lock and unlock twice to program a new remote and delete existing remote(s).

Carry out the following within 20 seconds:

Avensis - Press the lock button on the remote for at least 1 second.

Avensis Verso - Press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the remote for 1.5 seconds.

Carry out the following within 3 seconds:

Press the lock button on the remote for at least 1 second.

The central locking should now lock and unlock once.

If the central locking locks and unlocks twice the sequence has not been successfully.

Open the driver's to complete the sequence.

Hi,

Hope posters can still help, very similar problem here:

Bought a 2001 Avensis 1.8 VVTi with only 1 master key fob. Bought another blank fob online, had it cut.

I used the above procedure to successfully add the new fob to the central locking and alarm.

However, the immobiliser has not added the key, hence the car will not start when I attempt to use it.

Any advice?

Note - when I opened the keys to compare the chipset, my master showed '01 on the sticker, the new fob '00. Could it be that it is incompatible?

Many thanks to those who can help.

Isn't it possible to program imobiliser by using Techstream software and Mini VCI cable from eBay? I think Toyota dielers use the same software.

You need software to set up the immobiliser on the second key?

If anyone has done this, please let us know how.

Thanks

You need software to set up the immobiliser on the second key?

That I mean. I think Techstream is right one but never tried...

You shouldn't need techstream to program the key; There is another procedure for programming the immobiliser, but instead of opening and closing the doors, it's the one where you have to press the brake and accelerator 6 times or something.

Try the second half of the thing in this:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/113030-yaris-key-programming/

Thanks.

Cyker -

That doesnt seem to work on my '01 avensis 2.0 vvti?.............................

When the car is unlocked (and whether or not the door is shut / open) the light doesnt ever show and the procedure appears to do nothing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links