Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Celica

ukrolla

Hi guys, been reading n here for a while as im a corolla owner, but am thinkin of changing to a celica soon!

Just needed a bit of advice,

I seen a celica 140 advertised - 54 plate. 71000 miles. full service history. leathers.great condition. £5k.

what do you guys think should i go for this or is it not a good idea to go for the higher milage? does the price match the car.

p.s do corollas and celicas have the same wheel fitment, im looking to keep my current alloys if poss.

I will really appreciate the replies as i need to decide very soon, and to be honest cant stop thinking about gettin a celica!

Thanks guys :D

71k isn't a lot and is average for the age, just research the oil usage issue for this engine/particular car.

Corolla is 4 stud Celica is 5 for the wheels.

Price looks very fair, make sure its HPI'd!

Seems a fair price for the miles and year if it is all sound.

Celica are five stud fitment not four.

A 54 plate is the face lift model, these have the revised Block which has solved the Oil burning issue. Unless it's a special edition "Red" or "Blue", it will have the Premium Pack which was a £1500 option.

thanks for the replys.. sounds good so far hopefully il be able to go for it .. ive been trying to avoid an lder one because of the engine oil problem.

and yes it is a blue edition with the blue leathers is this better than premium?

and just to confirm.. what year is it safe to buy a celica then in terms of the engine oil problem.. is 53 reg onwards ok.. or 54 onwards only??

thanks for the replys.. sounds good so far hopefully il be able to go for it .. ive been trying to avoid an lder one because of the engine oil problem.

and yes it is a blue edition with the blue leathers is this better than premium?

and just to confirm.. what year is it safe to buy a celica then in terms of the engine oil problem.. is 53 reg onwards ok.. or 54 onwards only??

03 onwards is the facelift. An easy way to tell is from the front bonnet. Where the Toyota Badge is on the bonnet the facelift is mounted on to metal, the pre-facelift had a 'hole' under the Badge.

The 'blue & red edition' has a far better spec. than the ordinary 140 including different wheels, climate control electric sun roof etc. My son has a 'red' edition.

03 onwards is the facelift. An easy way to tell is from the front bonnet. Where the Toyota Badge is on the bonnet the facelift is mounted on to metal, the pre-facelift had a 'hole' under the Badge.

The 'blue & red edition' has a far better spec. than the ordinary 140 including different wheels, climate control electric sun roof etc. My son has a 'red' edition.

Close, but no cigar Bos.

The face lift was introduced in the Autumn of 2002, so most 52 plates are the later model.

Climate Control and an Electric Sunroof made up the extra cost Premium Pack on the "Red" and "Blue".

Hi guys, been reading n here for a while as im a corolla owner, but am thinkin of changing to a celica soon!

Just needed a bit of advice,

I seen a celica 140 advertised - 54 plate. 71000 miles. full service history. leathers.great condition. £5k.

what do you guys think should i go for this or is it not a good idea to go for the higher milage? does the price match the car.

p.s do corollas and celicas have the same wheel fitment, im looking to keep my current alloys if poss.

I will really appreciate the replies as i need to decide very soon, and to be honest cant stop thinking about gettin a celica!

Thanks guys :D

ive owned a 190 for about 2 years. and have enjoyed every minute of been it. so yes buy one. in 2 years of having the car ive only had to service it and have a new clutch at 110,000 miles. the orginal lasted that long. but i would stronlgy recomend upgrading the front discs. but if i was you i would puchase a 190 or tsport over the 140. just for the satisfaction of keeping up with cars well out of the celicas price range. :D. you can get a nice 1 for 5k mine was 6k 2 years ago. happy buying

Ahhh its been a long tiring day... my pockets are now empty...

but im officially a proud owner of a 54 plate "140" ... SORTED!!

Thanks to those who gave advice.. and hpefully we can continue to offer advice.. and I wish everyones car stay in good health (y) aswell as safe driving for all (y)

UKrolla

• 2 weeks later...

my answer is no. seats are uncomfortable as ubik (drivin position is too low) gears change feels like tryin 2 stir thick mud with a twig. no room in the back for passengers over a foot tall, the alarm ubiks about all the time, passenger window is electric but may as well be manual. thats all i can think of at the minute.

i was too late lol

my answer is no. seats are uncomfortable as ubik (drivin position is too low) gears change feels like tryin 2 stir thick mud with a twig. no room in the back for passengers over a foot tall, the alarm ubiks about all the time, passenger window is electric but may as well be manual. thats all i can think of at the minute.

i was too late lol

IMO I think this is a little unfair on the car.

When i got mine i came from an E46 M3 as i needed to release some funds. And the facelift 140 i had was more then adequate and not as much as a sacrafice from my M3 as the price tag would suggest.. but you just need to be willing to rag it to get power out of it :thumbsup:

thanks for the replies.. to be honest im loving it, i find the seats comfy too.. the gear box is a bit annoying like but i can live with that .. and about having to put ur foot down for it to actually start racing .. yea thats true but it helps seperate normal driving with fast driving.. theres still enough there to over take etc.

quick questions:

is there anything that has worked for any celica owners in terms of making the gearbox smoother? oil change or anything?

my rear suspension creeks on nearly every slight amount of movement :( whats this all about nothing major i hope ...any once elses car doing this?

Finally and quickly what sort of fuel economy are you guys getting :P

Thanks in advance :P B)

A Gearbox Oil change will certainly help, IIRC, the correct grade is 75/90.

Hopefully, a set of TTE or Eibach Pro Kit Springs will cure the creaking. These should be the first mod. on all Gen 7's (TTE's are standard on the GT).

A 140 driven sensibly should return around 35mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links