Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.4 D4D buying advice

Stormchaser

Hi and sorry if this has been covered before.

I,m interested in a 2008 Yaris 1.4 D4D diesel with 102000 miles.

It has 9 service stamps apparently and 3 owners.

Is there anything to look out for on these engines eg; Cambelt or chain? Turbo problems? DPF if fitted?

I,m really new to the little diesel engines and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Paul don't worry about questions being asked before this happens all the time. IMO this is what you should look for when buying a 2008 Yaris 1.4 D4D,Cambelt vs Chain The good news is the 1.4 D-4D engine in the 2008 Yaris uses a timing chain rather than a belt. Timing chains typically last much longer than belts, though they can still wear out over time. It's generally recommended to check the chain around 100,000 miles, so with 102,000 on the clock it's a good idea to factor in a replacement if there's no record of it being done recently.
Turbo problems, while generally reliable, these engines can see turbo issues like failing wastegate actuator or seized turbocharger. Listen for whistling noises during acceleration or black smoke from the exhaust, both could indicate turbo problems. DPF Diesel particulate filter, the 2008 Yaris 1.4 D-4D might have a DPF.While DPFs became mandatory in 2009, there's always a chance a specific car model might have been ahead of the curve. However, since regulations were tightening around that time, it's more likely a diesel car from that era would have a DPF.DPFs can become clogged with soot especially on shorter journeys, leading to loss of power and increased fuel consumption. If the car has mostly done short trips, ask about DPF cleaning or replacement history. 9 services in 102,000 miles is a good sign. Look through the service history to see what work has been done and when. 3 previous owners isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be helpful to understand why the car has changed hands so often.Before buying any used car, it's always recommended if possible to get it inspected by a mechanic. This will help identify any potential problems that you might miss during a test drive.The 1.4 D-4D engine in the 2008 Yaris is a good little unit and with careful maintenance they can be reliable. The points mentioned above should help you make an informed decision. I'm sure others will also give their opinions. Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 3

Thankyou for the response Bper its very helpful.

• Like 1

Our 58 plate D4D didn't have a DPF. From what I read in later years (probably on here) was that the later ones with DPF had issues with wrong regeneration and things like oil dilution, so I was of the opinion I'd dodged a bullet.

• Like 3

Thats good to know Mike.This being an 08 maybe DPF free (fingers crossed).Thankyou for your reply.

The early Mk2 Yaris diesels are the best ones to get - they don't have DPFs and I think they also don't have dual-mass flywheels - Literally the two things most responsible for killing the reliability of diesels!

The 1ND-TV engine is one of the best engines Toyota ever made - It's ridiculous, a high revving low compression diesel engine with a variable geometry turbo-charger?! Only the japanese could make something so mad :laugh: 

It has maximum torque from 1800rpm right out to I think 3500 or so, which makes it a joy to drive because to feels so strong compared to the petrol engines the car can have, and its mpg *still* rivals even the most efficient modern cars. Not bad for a nearly 30-year old engine design!

The thing to look out for is regular oil changes - The one Achilles heel of this (And most) Toyota engine is the timing chain; If the car is missing services or the receipts show the wrong oil was used, then I'd walk away, but if all the services are there and the right oil was used (IIRC 5w30 for the early D4Ds) then the engine will be indestructible - There are very few common problems with them.

The only bad thing about that car is it'll be increasingly liable for ULEZ charges, but it'll have so much range that, if you don't need to go into one, you can just drive around them :laugh: 

I have a Mk4 hybrid now and it's great, but I still miss my old Mk1 Yaris D4D - KHAAAAN! will forever be on my **** list for forcing me to get rid of it so far ahead of time!

• Like 3

Thankyou Cyker for your help.Thats great information.

• Like 1

One good thing about the Mk2 D4D is there are a lot more of them so you have more room to pick and choose; The Mk1 D4Ds didn't sell many and trying to find one in good nick, esp. a top-spec T-Spirit, is... well, I think finding an actual  unicorn would be easier :laugh: 

Good luck with your search - They're great cars :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links