Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Fuel Grade For Yaris Hybrid

Richard Davies

As mentioned in another thread someone suggested E5 unleaded gives better MPG in a Yaris hybrid engine rather than E10.

In the long run is it worth using E5 as it is usually more expensive than E10?

28 minutes ago, Richard Davies said:

In the long run is it worth using E5 as it is usually more expensive than E10?

This is literally a YMMV thing. Believe who you want. Some say their car is smoother and longer lasting, others feel no difference. Financially it's a toss up.

The only thing I can say WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY is that you  will not get a simple, absolute answer to that question. (It's almost a religious thing actually.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Personal choice

• Like 3

The only thing I can say with absolute certainty is that I will never know because in the Rep of Ireland we can only get E10. The car runs beautifully on it and since the temps started to rise in mid April I'm getting over 70+ to the gallon on every fill without even trying to be light footed.

• Like 5

As I said previously it's a can of worms - it is the same with tyre choice or oil brands

High octane gives you a cleaner burn and, ethanol by its nature is hygroscopic and can be corrosive in the long term. with it lowering the air/fuel ratio what does increase consumption

there have been many proven scientific papers on the subject

the Mk4 Yaris is a very different car with many advances in technology and 1 less cylinder

• Like 5

There is no advantage whatsoever in putting a higher grade of petrol

in your car than what it was designed for.

• Like 1

E5 premium petrol is the better fuel by far and it’s worth the higher price if not too large difference, 5-10 p difference it’s not that big or you can do Tesco e5 99 for the price of e10 from Shell
The difference

- less engine noise

- Better mpg 

- Smoother transition from ev to petrol 

- nicer overall drive 

Indeed it is a personal choice, there won’t be any problems using both or mixtures of both petrols. 
I know my car well ( only driven 230000 miles by myself) , and I always try to fill up e5 because the car drives so much better. 

My personal choice is BP e5 97, then Esso 99, Tesco 99 

The garages I avoid are Morrisons , Sainsbury , Asda and their e10 95 plus all unknown cheap petrol stations.
There is a difference between every garage and every price.
Cheaper fuels are cheap for a reason. No forecourt will sell you cheap and make less profit., customers are getting less additives for sure and some of these can be important, octane booster, moisture stabilisers, anti oxidants. 
Because some drivers can’t feel a difference in their cars it doesn’t mean that there is no difference or no benefit of using premium fuels from top tier petrol stations, there is and for me it’s worth it. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

There is no advantage whatsoever in putting a higher grade of petrol

in your car than what it was designed for.

Says you.

• Like 4

Haven't noticed much difference with the Yaris but my 2018 MX5, whilst labeled to run on E10, definitely gives a MPG improvement with E5 typically over 5 mpg on a run - mid to high 40's on a 189 bhp motor not driven too softly.

My 1993 Eunos needs E5 but I also keep an ethanol reduction additive in the boot in case I can't get E5.  It's also an octane booster - and by-jolly you can feel the difference 😃

Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus Multi-Shot (Ethanol / Lead / Octane) Fuel Treatment

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-78213-millers-oils-vspe-power-plus-multi-shot-ethanol-lead-octane-fuel-treatment.aspx

• Like 2

It’s often the case when these comparisons are made that people focus on whether you get improved mileage.  It depends on how long you keep a car and whether it is petrol or diesel.  On our petrol cars, they have a GPF that can eventually cause problems depending on how it is used but they all have injectors and EGRs and many other ancillaries that can and will get gummed up with fuel residues.   I always use high grade but I don’t look for improvement in economy I do it because all the E5 high grade fuels are dosed with detergents.  I’ve had dozens of engines and fuel systems in bits and I’ve seen the difference it makes.  You’ll always get uninformed opinions and if you’re on a 3 year PCP it wouldn’t affect you anyway but if you’re keeping it, there is a very good case for using high grade fuel.  Zoom in to the small print here.

Diesel cars are a different kettle of fish.  Anybody owning a diesel with an E6 emissions system are really sticking their neck out by using cheap fuel.  Frankly, before the backlash starts, I don’t give a hoot what anybody else uses but I 100% guarantee it will bite you in the backside eventually.

image.thumb.jpeg.7acf4bb0f936a843dec91bef72130573.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, anchorman said:

Says you.

Says those who know much more on the subject than you or I

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

If you’re going off him, he’s only focusing on economy.  You haven’t got a clue what I know or whether John Cadogan is more or less qualified than me.  You put whatever you want in your car, I don’t care but when it bites you or somebody you’ve advised in the backside, we won’t hear a peep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always use E5 at my local BP and have the BP rewards card 

• Like 2

People like John Cadogan and Scotty Kilmer are mostly in it for sensationalist click bait advert dollars these days so take anything they say with a big pinch of salt as it's more biased opinion than fact to attract those clicks; They certainly aren't any more authoritative than most forum posts at this point.

The fuel part of E5 has very little benefit for normal cars; It's meant to reduce the chance of knock in higher compression and forced induction engines but otherwise serves no other purpose and normal engines can't usually take advantage of it as they're usually optimised to run best on normal 95ron/E10.

The non-fuel part of E5 is what the fuel companies like to advertise as being beneficial for all engines; The biggest percentage of that is usually cleaning agents, which help reduce/clean deposits from the fuel system, and are particularly helpful keeping injectors healthy (Caveat: Usually - At least one person was using Shell V-Power almost exclusively but didn't prevent the injector failure on their Corolla in the forum thread about it.). Other things include lubricity enhancers which can help extend fuel-pump and injector life, and dispersants which help the fuel atomise and burn more cleanly, but these are in tiny amounts, probably fractions of a percent of the overall fuel content, so the jurys still out on how much difference these actually make.

I got in the habit of throwing some V-Power diesel into my old Mk1 D4D every few tanks, as it made a noticeable difference if I'd been driving on normal supermarket fuel mostly in-town where the diesel engine never really got hot enough to burn off any deposits.

I still do it in the Mk4, although I've switched to Esso Synergy/BP Ultimate, as the Shell V-Power petrol feels kinda nasty in the Mk4, but aside from the engine running slightly less obnoxiously when stopped and charging, I haven't noticed anywhere near as noticeable a difference as I did with V-Power diesel vs supermarket diesel in the Mk1 D4D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

E10 dissolves rubber/composite fuel pipes and carb/fuel injection seals in older cars, hence E5 for my Eunos.  Garden equipment (mowers, generators etc) will, generally, have "rubber" issues at some stage as they were not designed to run on E10 (unlike cars for some years).  They like 4* 😂 but will run OK on E5.

You can remove the ethanol in your garden shed for your petrol equipment but not recommended 🔥🚒👨‍🚒

• Like 2

You can but you must replace it with some octane booster additive as removing the ethanol drops the RON to like 85 or something like that.

Rubber hoses and seals is the main problem with E-anything fuel, as even E5 will damage them, just at a slower rate.

If you can, replacing them with ethanol-resistant hoses and seals will be a better long-term solution, and anything with a carb with a steel float bowl is just doomed...

• Like 2

think some have got the wrong end of the stick here we are not talking about performance but rather efficiency of a fuel

fuel grades vary wildly around the world

• Like 3

No ToC thread survives its original subject! You should be impressed it's still about fuel and not toasters or something :laugh: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

No ToC thread survives its original subject! You should be impressed it's still about fuel and not toasters or something :laugh: 

Does anybody know the best electricity to use for my four slice toaster please?

😯😉

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

😯😉

Just avoid cheap Chinese stuff or illegally imported stuff from Europe - you don't know what 'additives' they might have.

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

Yes, you must only use the 230 Volt flavour. Feeding it 240 V will kill everyone within a 100 km radius and set the atmosphere on fire. Must be true, I saw it on the interweb....

Seriously, pretty much nothing else creates as much controversy and strong opinion as the 'best' grade of petrol for modern engines. I did start a thread detailing my 'experiment' but, honestly, as a STEM professional my pathetic study (of both mpg and perceived engine smoothness/noise) was the best I could do but wouldn't get past the first stage of any rigorous peer review. And you'd need a **lot** of carefully-controlled data to see the long-term effects of using different fuel grades and 'flavours' - see anchorman's posts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's why you buy one which makes you feel good 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SinglePointSafety said:

wouldn't get past the first stage of any rigorous peer review

From what I've seen about scientific papers, peer review and publication these days I don't think you'd have any trouble at all.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links