Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2000 Yaris Rear Brakes Grinding After The Snow!

Multiplex

Hi,

We had a lot of snow around Christmas and we left the car parked outside with the handbrake on for most of this time.

After the snow cleared the rear brakes have started making a horrible grinding noise!

Also when applying the brake pedal at very low speed (when parking) the brakes can snatch hard and make the car stop unexpectedly!

The car has been on a long journey (200 miles) in the hope that it was just a build up of rust but the problem remains!

Does anyone know what is going on?

Regards,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

So before I took her to the garage yesterday I got in the car and when I tried to drive off the handbrake had locked solid onto the rear wheels! No matter how much gentle rocking back and forth I couldn't free them. Eventually had to take the trims off and use a hammer to free the brakes.

Took the car to the Toyota garage and waited while they had a look.

Basically the mechanic took the rear wheels off, found a lot of dirt and dust, cleaned it all up and that was it!

They said nothing needed to be replaced and charged me 30 mins of labour which came to £39.

At this point I was very happy until the lady said, by the way, your front antiroll bar bushes are split. I said I know that and she then said that they need to be replaced as split bushes will fail an MOT!!

I'm pretty sure split bushes don't fail an MOT, they didn't four weeks ago when I took the car to my MOT only place...

Simon

Hi,

We had a lot of snow around Christmas and we left the car parked outside with the handbrake on for most of this time.

After the snow cleared the rear brakes have started making a horrible grinding noise!

Also when applying the brake pedal at very low speed (when parking) the brakes can snatch hard and make the car stop unexpectedly!

The car has been on a long journey (200 miles) in the hope that it was just a build up of rust but the problem remains!

Does anyone know what is going on?

Regards,

Simon

Nice of your local dealer to find some more work for themselves :lol: ;)

The front ARB bushes seem prone to splitting on some Yaris models. Mine are perished but are still perfectly adequate and it passed it's MOT last month with no probs and no advisories. That's on a nearly 10yr old car aswell.

It's entirely up to you about replacing them, if you think the dealer's are trying to rip you off, have another reputable garage check them out.

Basically, if there's any play or movement with the anti-roll bar, (when you grab hold of it) the bushes will probably be the culprit and should then be replaced as a matter of safety.

Sounds like the Dealership is trying to scare you into getting possibly unnecessary work done?, maybe they have very little work booked in or need to meet the weekly targets? :rolleyes:

Get a 2nd opinion, that's what i would do anyway. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links