Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust On Brake... Area... Thing?

z-tune-z2

Hey, this isn't about rust on the discs okay! Attached is a photo of my problem, from a few months ago.

I basically have rust on the er, brake/ uprights housing... thing? The part between the disc and the alloy! I can't see it being a major problem, but it looks nasty. Has anyone else got this problem and advice on getting rid of it? Paint? Sand? Replace?

Thanks.

post-70477-1263911412_thumb.jpg

Surface rust in this area is not unusual and unless it because heavy or crusty I personally wouldn't be concerned from a safety viewpoint. I appreciate it looks tatty but nothing that a light wire brush and some decent quality paint wouldn't cover. Silver paint would blend in with the alloy wheel.

Looking from the photograph I would be more concerned about the state of the security wheel nut because if it becomes badly corroded it may fail if you need to remove it.:)

a nice bit of wire brushing and a can of spray paint and you get........

post-85811-1263912384_thumb.jpg

Sorry no offence mate but that must be one of the most tacky paint jobs I've seen in many a year:ROFL

Only my opinion though.:)

Looking from the photograph I would be more concerned about the state of the security wheel nut because if it becomes badly corroded it may fail if you need to remove it.:)

The wheel nut still spins up fine and I'd recently taken it off too, so it hasn't shown signs of any problems yet. Also had my service/ MOT done a few weeks ago, Toyota woulda brought up concerns (wanted to make some $$$$) if they thought it was getting serious right? :P

Will have a bash with a wire brush soon, thanks guys. Probably wont paint it for a while though, don't have the time to do a neat job!

Sorry no offence mate but that must be one of the most tacky paint jobs I've seen in many a year:ROFL

why, whats wrong with it ?

Painting the mating surfaces are not recommended as this can cause the wheel to become loose and possibly fall off. :shutit:

i know that, if you dont paint enough of the face of the hub your left with rust bits still, i just make sure to tighten up all nuts after 20 miles and again after 100, never had any trouble yet, touch wood

I think he's making reference to the fact it looks like you've painted the calipers... the brake pad and part of your brake disc!

I also painted my calipers when i changed my discs... went for dark grey as i'm not a fan of bright colours :lol:

4158_80179113677_681843677_1731108_4658967_n.jpg

well a few mile of easy braking and the disks are clean, i used to do a nice tidy job but it took twice as long for the same finish, its just to take the rough look off it, to clean it up, not going for a painting competition

post-85811-1263918139_thumb.jpg

well a few mile of easy braking and the disks are clean, i used to do a nice tidy job but it took twice as long for the same finish, its just to take the rough look off it, to clean it up, not going for a painting competition

post-85811-1263918139_thumb.jpg

Wasn't criticising dude... i spent a full day doing mine with care and precision.... never again!! :lol:

Wasn't criticising dude... i spent a full day doing mine with care and precision.... never again!! :lol:

Hmm 30 minutes each side including removing wheels... is more like my effort...

That’s normal. Mine were starting to rust when I bought my car new, being on a back of a ship for weeks coming from Japan doesn’t help, sea spray is a killer.

For cosmetic reasons you could rub them down and spray them, my dealer did this for me every service, fronts and back. It does make a difference visually.

The red paint covers the rubber caliper slide pin bellows, the anti-ratlle springs are stuck with paint, the outer pad is probably stuck to the caliper, etc. All these components are supposed to be free and able to move.:)

Better still if the discs are clean after a few miles and gentle braking where do you think all the scrubbed off paint has gone - onto your brake pads I should think.:)

Doddle of a job, i mine on both my cars.

Wheel off, wire brush, some wet&dry paper to get it smooth them some silver Hammerite smooth.

On the mating face, i leave it unpainted (as it touches the wheel) and just paint copper grease all over it.

Dead easy and look good. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links