Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise/vibration, Any Tips?

frank.lui

I have an Avensis 02 Reg VVT-i hatchback. Recently I noticed the car/engine became noisy. When engine is idle, the Rev is about 0.7K/min, the whole car is quite vibrating. If I slightly accelerate to 0.8-9k/min or move on (or course accelerate as well), the vibration is almost stopped.

Could anyone give a tip? What is the problem? How can I solve it?

The car was involved an road accident last Sept (hit from back side) and repaired by my insurance. Could this be the reason?

Thanks!

I have an Avensis 02 Reg VVT-i hatchback. Recently I noticed the car/engine became noisy. When engine is idle, the Rev is about 0.7K/min, the whole car is quite vibrating. If I slightly accelerate to 0.8-9k/min or move on (or course accelerate as well), the vibration is almost stopped.

Could anyone give a tip? What is the problem? How can I solve it?

The car was involved an road accident last Sept (hit from back side) and repaired by my insurance. Could this be the reason?

Thanks!

hi mate

check with spark plugs first + feeding voltage wires.

any alert with regards to petrol boosting pressure?

besides -- what is the service time of your booster pump in the tank???

cheers/Igor

hi mate

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks a lot.

I can check with spark and wires. But not sure about the rest.

I know nothing about petrol boosting pressure and the booster pump. Can I do something myself or ask garage?

I got this car from 03, previous owner is TOYOTA UK. It was regularly serviced by Toyota dealer and they never made any repair to it. Only thing they changed in the past years were brake disc. Anyway, this car never showed me any alarm but I did notice the oil-drinking thing so I check oil every 1k miles.

hi mate

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks a lot.

I can check with spark and wires. But not sure about the rest.

I know nothing about petrol boosting pressure and the booster pump. Can I do something myself or ask garage?

I got this car from 03, previous owner is TOYOTA UK. It was regularly serviced by Toyota dealer and they never made any repair to it. Only thing they changed in the past years were brake disc. Anyway, this car never showed me any alarm but I did notice the oil-drinking thing so I check oil every 1k miles.

hello again

booster pump mustbe in the tank with own strainer -- you ve caught my point with filter condition.

besides you'd check with petrol injectors + have them calibrated (!!!) itis essential to have the same cycle petrol qty in each cylinder + that prevents vibration.

CHeers/Igor

Ir may well ve worth checking out the engine mounts. It is not unknown for them to receive a severe shock during a collision.:)

Ir may well ve worth checking out the engine mounts. It is not unknown for them to receive a severe shock during a collision.:)

Thanks a lot guys.

To me this seems to be a garage job not a DIY?

My T180 also suffers excessive vibration when it drops to idle (700 rpm, a few more rpm and vibration disappears). I've mentioned it at its previous two services (where Mr T has been unable to detect the problem, possibly never getting it up to full working temperature). Last week I took it in while it was hot and the technician admitted (as far as Mr T ever admits) there was a problem.

The car has never been in an accident. The EGR was cleaned at its last service.

My T180 also suffers excessive vibration when it drops to idle (700 rpm, a few more rpm and vibration disappears). I've mentioned it at its previous two services (where Mr T has been unable to detect the problem, possibly never getting it up to full working temperature). Last week I took it in while it was hot and the technician admitted (as far as Mr T ever admits) there was a problem.

My 2.2 D4D idles warm at 800rpm not 700 - maybe your idle is set too low?

I assume an 02 Reg VVT-i was registered in 2002 and is a petrol.

I have a similar model and it does vibrate at 650 rpm at idle but not

much and there have been cases where the idle falls lower.

It has been serviced by Toyota all its life so I just put it down to

bad petrol although the MAF (or whatever its called- in the airbox)

has been cleaned out from time to time.

I assume an 02 Reg VVT-i was registered in 2002 and is a petrol.

I have a similar model and it does vibrate at 650 rpm at idle but not

much and there have been cases where the idle falls lower.

It has been serviced by Toyota all its life so I just put it down to

bad petrol although the MAF (or whatever its called- in the airbox)

has been cleaned out from time to time.

Hi all,

I have the same issue and found on the car manual tha tthe idling should be around +-650rpm/m so, it is acceptable. It does a little vibration due the low idling revs but nothing that bothers. I think the purpose is to became smoother and petrol saver.

Cheers,

Pedro

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links