Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight 100w

kintung01

if i use 100w Halegon bulb for my dipped, will i melt anything, or blow the fuse?? will be too bright for other road users

also will it fail my MOT??

thx

Not quite sure but you may need some sort of convertor. Think they are illegal.

They are deffo illegal, if you need more light go HID, not much better according to the ministry as you don't have auto levelling or headlight wash. However they are unlikely to damage your electrics or lens.

100W bulbs WON'T damage your electrics, as Nrgizerbunny will tell you, they will however brown your lenses.

I have 100W bulbs in my fogs and they passed an MOT fine, as they don't check the intensity, only the leving of the dipped beams. As long as the sidelights, Fogs and Mains all work and are the same colour, they'll pass. (Not if they're green or blue etc obviously..)

100W will darken the lenses so i suggest saving these for the mains or fogs, something which you don't use so much.

80W should be okay for the dipped but keep an eye on them.

I have seen over-rated bulbs - the illegal ones over 55 watts not only blind other poor drivers but also cause switches to burn out - not immediatley but a few months later. Could turn out to be quite an expensive repair into the bargain.

Lets be honest fitting over-rated or unapproved lighting is illegal in this country plus all other EU countries as well so why do some people insist in flouting the law at the expense of other road users.

Personally I would do everything to dissuade such irresponsible actions. :angry:

I take your point James, however if someone chooses to fit it in their main beam then I see no problems unless he or she deliberately leaves them on when oncoming traffic.approach.

I take your point James, however if someone chooses to fit it in their main beam then I see no problems unless he or she deliberately leaves them on when oncoming traffic.approach.

Isn't that a bit like saying I own an illegal gun but I only break the law if I use it :ffs:

No I don't see it as the same thing.

You are LEGALLY allowed to fit any wattage light bulb you like provided they are defined as "driving lights". The use of main beam and driving lights are the same - when traffic comes towards you, you switch them off.

It surely is safer if you can see further in front of you?

This will hurt your eyes much more than 2x 100w Main Beam bulbs, this will be 500w+ over the standard lights!

gallery-1-299-standard-640x480.jpg

No I don't see it as the same thing.

You are LEGALLY allowed to fit any wattage light bulb you like provided they are defined as "driving lights". The use of main beam and driving lights are the same - when traffic comes towards you, you switch them off.

It surely is safer if you can see further in front of you?

So what do EU regulations say on the matter and on what legal basis do you base your "LEGALLY allowed" statement.:)

This will hurt your eyes much more than 2x 100w Main Beam bulbs, this will be 500w+ over the standard lights!

gallery-1-299-standard-640x480.jpg

was thinking the exact same as i was reading down through the posts, i meet a scania this evening with 10 spots aswell, juses its the middle of the day all day long for them boys,

i dont see anything wrong with fitting extra strenght bulbs in as mains, electrics aside, if you helfs your visibality and you dip for oncoming traffic there is nothing wrong with that,

i have driven some older model yolks like starlets, and the poor quality light out of it was rediculous, i was wishing there was stronger bulbs in it as visibility was poor and i had to travel pretty slow,

i would find THAT more dangerous than putting stronger bulbs in to improve visibility

Whilst the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 do not state a maximum bulb rating it does state no filament lamp without the Designation of Approval Marks ...........shall be fitted to any such lamp.:)

Also beware of bulbs sporting the DOT marking as in many cases this refers to the Dept of Transport of the USA and not the UK.

god, find it so difficult to change the light bulb, the connector plug is so tight, any advise of how i can unplug it??

heat it with a hairdryer

lol, will it melt the wire oe platistic???

well don't get it that hot, get it so its just warm to touch! that should free the contacts up a little.

alternative mthod which i sometimes do is turn the lights on for 5 minutes. only issue with that is the bulb can become too hot to touch.

Just use an extra long pointy nose pliers and wiggle it from side to side until it comes out.

This was covered a few weeks back on here, made a post myself when I was changing mine, had similar issues myself and my mate got it out using this method, takes a bit of patience and you need to grip them in the middle not the side but it will work its way out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links