Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A 1.4 D4d .. Look Inside

cmia

I believe the early ones had head gasket issues. They would leak coolant and toast themselves without much warning. But it was sorted out around 2004 i think?

My one (2004) has had no problems at all, touch wood.

The very early 2002 ones had HG issues.. Mine is 2003 and has none.

In the absence of any year information:

Service history.. essential. No oil changes = bad news on any diesel.

Check normal Yaris issues: arb bushes, discs, broken springs, rust around rear suspension, stone chips, pollen filter changed..

Engine wise: oil in radiator , service history, no flat spots, and drive belts ok.

Starting should be immediate: delays = trouble with glow plugs or Battery ..

Can some one tell me

If only 2002 yaris d4d suffered from head gasket problems ?

Will the 2003 yaris have the problems fixed ? (I read some where that the fix was to replace the short block)

Can some one tell me

If only 2002 yaris d4d suffered from head gasket problems ?

Will the 2003 yaris have the problems fixed ? (I read some where that the fix was to replace the short block)

Only the 2002 ones had a problem.

IIRC solution was a new head gasket. Most will have been changed under warranty.

I drove a 2002 which had over 100k miles and the original head gasket - so I assume not all cars were affected.

Mine is early 2003 - with the teardrop headlights and by then the problem had been solved..

Mine has been 100% OK..

If in doubt buy a post facelift one- the ones with the teardrop headlights...they will all have the revised head gasket.

Which D4D do you want to buy the 75 hp or the 90 hp version ? I have a 2003 90 hp version and it's okay I had absolutely no problems.The only thing that I don't like about it is that it takes more time to warm up in the winter.

UK ones were all 75 until the new model which was 90..

I also did not found any info on 90hp versions,but mine is 90hp :yahoo:

I bought it from Italy,on Italian documents is also stated as 90hp.

Maybe I have to take a pic of the engine ?

Just dont go looking for a haynes manual. There is nothing available for anything with the 1nd-tv engine in it. Go figure!

A checklist I wrote on Honest John

he drive belt for alternator etc should be changed at 40k miles.

Stone chips. (bonnet/front bumper)

Water leaks into cabin are rare but do happen.

Cabin rattles (trim) over bumps.

Rust around rear springs/ rear suspension arms if neglected of used near sea.

Check power steering if fitted works with no noise on full lock.

Check engine undertray still exists (full cover of engine and gearbox): some cowboy may have removed it for access (not if Toyota fsh)

Rubber trim on roof : can become loose at rear.

Wind noise from door and window seals.

The anti roll bar bushes can wear: knocking from front suspension over bumps.

Radiator corrosion due to salt/stone chips.

Often kerbed due to town parking: front wheel alignment - uneven front tyre wear - usually outer wears more than inner.

Corrosion of alloys: many replaced under warranty.

The spare is a space safer wheel which should be pumped to 60psi. Under boot floor. Check it is still there and if alloys locking wheel nut kit (mine had none: dealer replaced lock nuts).

Check all windscreeen Wiper Blades with washers: they wear and squeal badly or judder . Toyota brand are best. The rear screen one usually gets hammered as there is a lot of spray in rain kicked up onto rear screen.

Check rear of front seats for fabric tears or pulls.. Check boot cover has velcro/popon studs mounted luggage cover and it is neither damaged or missing.

At that mileage it should have a full Toyota sh. Check and that a full set of manuals exist. (many get lost).

Rear exhaust backbox corrodes on low mileage petrol cars.

Pollen filter (under glovebox: squeeze both sides together at rear when open to remove glovebox) often neglected

Surface corrosion on fixings under bonnet..(yes I know it has no impact on running but a good bargaining point)

( I looked at over 15 cars before buying my diesel Yaris last year. Quite a few had signs of owner neglect to body and interior)

Toyota's own floormats in the front are a desirable addition and they are designed to fit and have an attachment on driver side to prevent slipping..(I replaced mine because the originals were stained: ).

there are clear plastic chip shields over the rear wheel arch/ C post Water can get underneath these and mildew form. Looks unsightly .. I had ours replaced before I bought car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links