Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav Stasrting Battery

igormus

Hi Colleagues

Just wonna hear some entries re subject.

CHeers/Igor

Hi Colleagues

CHeers/Igor

From what I've read on other forums, the Furakawa Battery that comes in the Japan-built RAV lasts about 3 years on average.

Hi Colleagues

CHeers/Igor

I hope this helps I have had my Rav 4 from new almost 5 years, I use it every day, mileage approx 47,000 and my Battery is still working very well, it is parked over night outside.

I have it serviced annually first 3 years by Lookers last year by an alternative Toyota garage.

Because I think 5 years is too good I will look to changing it soon HOWEVER it is still working well.

My only concern is Lookers the main dealers are expensive barstools so I will have to look around for a replacement.

Does that help.

Hi Colleagues

CHeers/Igor

I hope this helps I have had my Rav 4 from new almost 5 years, I use it every day, mileage approx 47,000 and my Battery is still working very well, it is parked over night outside.

I have it serviced annually first 3 years by Lookers last year by an alternative Toyota garage.

Because I think 5 years is too good I will look to changing it soon HOWEVER it is still working well.

My only concern is Lookers the main dealers are expensive barstools so I will have to look around for a replacement.

Does that help.

yes it is average 3-5 years then

thanks/Igor

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys -- the strory with accum Battery had its continuation, as follows: after three days of peak frost (-17C) i did not drive for safety reasons and on the 4th day I came in order to get to work -- what has hapened -- i could not start it from the first START buttom pressing -- so the 2nd trial was succesfull even with poor cranking -- I could not belive the Battery has flatted and start driving giving a charge current to Battery. this poor cranking has reiterate not regulary in the morning but casualy when I could not expect it. then i have decided to wash my rav in the contactless washing facility where the car transfering was governed by a staff --- they have repeatedly started the engine withour issues (!!!) and once completed with washing -- i was told to drive out -- ok now the most interresting thing -- i could not start the engine during several attemps - but only since 4th attempt i could start the engine with poor cranking again -- i ve got small panic having not understood what is going on -- no any abnormal lights on the dashboar were available -- it means the alternator charging current with voltage were normal. Ok i ve left this washing facility and got to my garage and left rav until morning next day --- once have come -- the engine was started from first trial :) -- i could not understand such surprise and called to MrT dealership and they have appointed a diagnosis of accum battery + inspection of all el circuit --i left the rav there and was notified that the issue is connected with battery due to poor acid density -- they have arranged full battery discharge and re-charging again during all the day today. i ve just picked rav up and found that the starter sound looks like if i installed new battery -- i ve got a warranty + was assured the battery will run 2 years more (et least)-- i hope so. I ve spent arround USD20.00 for both el circuit diagnosis and accum battery re-freshing (recondition). I think it is not expensive. Yes forgot to say - that during these developments the battery status indicator was shown as blue confirming OK status of battery (?????)Cheers/Igor

Hopefully everything will be OK Igor. Sometimes the Battery can get in a depleated state and the regulator gets confused about the datum level of charge. The proper way is to discharge the Battery first then trickle charge for at least 12 hours.

Hopefully everything will be OK Igor. Sometimes the battery can get in a depleated state and the regulator gets confused about the datum level of charge. The proper way is to discharge the battery first then trickle charge for at least 12 hours.

hi Don

Yes hope so. Today have started well but the rpm clock needle has started to play a bit. the petrol level in the tank is 1/4 as per dial gauge -- after few seconds this rpm needls become stable. i thought it might be some air in the rail before injectors -- ok started to drive untill the first crossroad, stopped on red light and viewing an rpm gauge -- the needle is at 500 rpm and i ve felt detoning effect from the engine like sparks issue --- i have immediately switched off an A/C compressor to view what would be happened after --- no any result, i have switched oN again and started drive -- i ve noticed no power loss + after drive to next crossroad -- the rpm have become stable at 750 rpm :) I will have the tank topped up today and will see whether or not some other surprises would be available + report on here :) Cheers/Igor

this is an up-dating

MrT has conluded the issue must be with throttle valve wrong positionning after the Battery was re-installed. so they have appointed me again to check and adjust positioning FOC - -OK i will revert with result. Cheers/Igor

Sorry, didn't see your post yesterday.

Good luck with the investigations. Usually with a petrol there is more than enough fuel in the rail so I wonder if the MAF needs a clean???

Good luck with the investigations. Usually with a petrol there is more than enough fuel in the rail so I wonder if the MAF needs a clean???

Don/Igor

thanks -- that is good advice with MAF -- may be he plays with me :D.

today i have faced with starting issue again and it definitely looks like the Battery flatt (!!!???)-- i am inclined to throw the Battery out and install new with toyota's warranty :) -- yes the Battery is like a human has own lifetime and fate -- so it is vissible mine is about to die by 4 years. By the way -- what do you think -- whether or not an electricity leak might be available from battery ???? I am a bit confused cos MrT has carefully inspected all the el circuit with no issues found. Another question --- do you know what is normal service time for starter solenoid for inspecion + maintening??? I ve no idea yet -- may me these primer el contacts must be cleaned??? I am inclined that starter is OK cos its revolutions are very soundy like new. There are many questions in my mind - -ok i will start with battery and throttle first right on this Saturday and will report on here :) Cheers/Igor

Don/Igor

thanks -- that is good advice with MAF -- may be he plays with me :D.

today i have faced with starting issue again and it definitely looks like the Battery flatt (!!!???)-- i am inclined to throw the Battery out and install new with toyota's warranty :) -- yes the Battery is like a human has own lifetime and fate -- so it is vissible mine is about to die by 4 years. By the way -- what do you think -- whether or not an electricity leak might be available from battery ???? I am a bit confused cos MrT has carefully inspected all the el circuit with no issues found. Another question --- do you know what is normal service time for starter solenoid for inspecion + maintening??? I ve no idea yet -- may me these primer el contacts must be cleaned??? I am inclined that starter is OK cos its revolutions are very soundy like new. There are many questions in my mind - -ok i will start with battery and throttle first right on this Saturday and will report on here :) Cheers/Igor

ok finally:

- three of four spark plugs had a poor spark ---- changed all four on Iridium with three (-)electrodes;

- starting battery acid was found as OK with good density but the problem was connected with link between (+) and lead plates given sharp discharge --- changed on new one FOC;

- besides -- throttle valve has been cleaned giving more precised fuel consumption display entries.

conclusion: battery's lifetime = 3.5 years; original spark plugs' lifetime -- 37.5k kms (due to good petrol) :D

Cheers/Igor

Good! Back to normal. Those Iridium plugs are supposed to have a life of around 90k from memory but I have heard of them breaking down sooner as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links