Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Light On Dash ?!

tango222

Hi all,

newbie here with a 99 Avensis 1.8 the non-vvti version. I got a couple of questions tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Basicallyi got an orange light on in the far right bottom corner of the dash on constantly. Its a picture of a car with two lines coming out the back like either skid marks or smoke? ???

Anyone know what it could be. Has puzzled me as ive checked the book and cant see anything on it.

Also does anyone know if all the 1.8 Avensis models have the econo light ? As mine doesnt come on and neither does it appear on startup. Thanks!!

Hi all,

newbie here with a 99 Avensis 1.8 the non-vvti version. I got a couple of questions tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Basicallyi got an orange light on in the far right bottom corner of the dash on constantly. Its a picture of a car with two lines coming out the back like either skid marks or smoke? ???

Anyone know what it could be. Has puzzled me as ive checked the book and cant see anything on it.

Also does anyone know if all the 1.8 Avensis models have the econo light ? As mine doesnt come on and neither does it appear on startup. Thanks!!

Sounds like it could be the ABS light (anti-lock braking). If you've experienced the ABS operating during the recent snowy conditions then you'll know how the brake pedal 'judders' when you slam the brakes on hard. Try hitting the brake pedal as hard as you can at about 20mph on a quiet road. If it skids and screeches to a halt then you have a broken ABS sensor on one of the wheels, if the brake pedal judders and no skidding then possibly another problem but I would place my bets on a broken ABS sensor.

More likely to be traction control than ABS. But either way the light on all the time means a fault with the system so it will be disabled. If the light is only coming on when you accelerate hard or are traveling on a slippery road surface then it is just the traction control doing its job to try and stop the wheels from spinning.

If there is a fault it could be something as simple as a blown fuse, you could have pushed the TCS on/off switch or as major as a faulty ECU the best way to check is to get the car hooked up to a diagnostic computer and find out the error code(s).

Hi all,

I checked my handbook and the Haynes manual, and your car does have the econo light. The bulb may have simply blown. It happened to mine. Also there is no reference to Traction control system on the early cars (pre 2000). I could be wrong.

It could be a simple case that the bulb was put in the wrong hole in the dash! There are some redundant bulb holes.

Removal of the dash is not too difficult, but you can change the bulbs yourself.

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links