Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car Battery

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys,

My Battery died out on me yesterday...called the breakdown people...found out the Battery in my car was too small...might be for a yaris! Was funny though, i did think when i bought the car 2 months ago that it looked a tad on the small side! Just a thought...would a new car Battery possibly improve fuel economy now? (now that its the right size). I have a 1.8 vvti 2001 51 reg hatchback...only do local trips...i fill up £50 which gives me a full tank...and im getting approx 170 miles back...is this normal? Please let me know guys. Thanks again.

Sammy

Wouldn't have thought the fuel economy would improve, but you'll probably find your car will start better.

170 miles on £50.00 you must have a heavy right foot, I get about 230 / 250 in my T Sport from a £50.00 fill up.

Hi Guys,

My battery died out on me yesterday...called the breakdown people...found out the battery in my car was too small...might be for a yaris! Was funny though, i did think when i bought the car 2 months ago that it looked a tad on the small side! Just a thought...would a new car battery possibly improve fuel economy now? (now that its the right size). I have a 1.8 vvti 2001 51 reg hatchback...only do local trips...i fill up £50 which gives me a full tank...and im getting approx 170 miles back...is this normal? Please let me know guys. Thanks again.

Sammy

No Sammy the new Battery will not help your economy, your car should return around 38mpg overall, you are getting around half this. On local trips you should get at least 30mpg, you are getting about 17-19 mpg as £50 buys about 9 gallons these days.

Pete.

Hi Guys,

My battery died out on me yesterday...called the breakdown people...found out the battery in my car was too small...might be for a yaris! Was funny though, i did think when i bought the car 2 months ago that it looked a tad on the small side! Just a thought...would a new car battery possibly improve fuel economy now? (now that its the right size). I have a 1.8 vvti 2001 51 reg hatchback...only do local trips...i fill up £50 which gives me a full tank...and im getting approx 170 miles back...is this normal? Please let me know guys. Thanks again.

Sammy

No Sammy the new Battery will not help your economy, your car should return around 38mpg overall, you are getting around half this. On local trips you should get at least 30mpg, you are getting about 17-19 mpg as £50 buys about 9 gallons these days.

Pete.

THANKS GUYS for responding...but im kinda worried now...i dont have a heavy right foot at all...honestly...its a 1.8vvti with 86400 on the clock...could it be because its a HIGH MILER??? Or could it be more serious? I regularly use reddex petrol cleaner on every fill up...god knows if it makes any difference. Please let me know people! Thank you again

Would not worry about the mileage (it is below average anyway) as long as the car up to date with the servicing this can make a difference it will seriously affect the performance if it is not.

Would not worry about the mileage (it is below average anyway) as long as the car up to date with the servicing this can make a difference it will seriously affect the performance if it is not.

Guys i serviced it a month after i bought it (2 moths ago)...did the service myself...oil filter...air filter...fuel filter...spark plugs...new engine oil...even the cabin filter! So why is it heavy on petrol still? I even check the tyre pressures per month. I always thought $50 worth of petrol equalling 170 miles was normal. Im confused now.

Do you do mostly short trips that don't let the engine get warm enough? If so it might be very normal. During cold weather and short trips you do get a low mpg.

Wait and see if the fuel economy gets better when it gets warmer and try to do some longdistance journey on a motorway in a constant motorway speed. I am quite sure that you will get improved fueleconomy then.

Guys i serviced it a month after i bought it (2 moths ago)...did the service myself...oil filter...air filter...fuel filter...spark plugs...new engine oil...even the cabin filter! So why is it heavy on petrol still? I even check the tyre pressures per month. I always thought $50 worth of petrol equalling 170 miles was normal. Im confused now.

The fuel you are useing seems high to me, but yet again over the last few months its been cold therefore it could be that the vehicle has not reached full working temp on each of your journeys, during the recent cold spell my own vehicle has taken an extra 4 or 5 miles to warm up to full working temp and my fuel cost has risen slightly on a full tank during the cold spell.

On a £50 fuel fill my own vehicle " deisel estate T180 " would average about 400/20 miles in summer on mixed driving conditions, i would wait for more clement weather before you think your fuel cost is excessive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links