Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Taxi

Toyota Taxi

1st post here, i've put a deposit on a 2003 Avensis (new model) 1.8 Luna (which i think it a t4 in UK terms)

Its been a taxi since new and it has full service history from a toyota garage here in Dublin, the owner has recently put a new gearbox and clutch into it in the last few months, i've driven the car and i cant fault how it drives, when he did buy it after a few months the engine did start to use oil and has had two heads and one block.

Question is am i asking for trouble here? the money is 75% cheaper than the rest of the avensis being sold here and is in great condition too. The current car i drive as a taxi is a 1996 Carina that is serving me well at 163K.

Oh and there's 315,000 miles on the Avensis, which is half a million kms!

1st post here, i've put a deposit on a 2003 Avensis (new model) 1.8 Luna (which i think it a t4 in UK terms)

Its been a taxi since new and it has full service history from a toyota garage here in Dublin, the owner has recently put a new gearbox and clutch into it in the last few months, i've driven the car and i cant fault how it drives, when he did buy it after a few months the engine did start to use oil and has had two heads and one block.

Question is am i asking for trouble here? the money is 75% cheaper than the rest of the avensis being sold here and is in great condition too. The current car i drive as a taxi is a 1996 Carina that is serving me well at 163K.

Oh and there's 315,000 miles on the Avensis, which is half a million kms!

1 gearbox, 2 heads and a new block at 315k? Sounds like trouble, your carina will do that mileage on it's original engine.

To Toyota Taxi,

I would not for any reason under the sun go near that car, don't buy it. Have the rules been changed again in regards to Taxi/Hackney, something to do with age of (would this effect the Carina) vehicles that can be used? Steer well clear of the 1.8vvti engine.

Regards, Beagh.

To Toyota Taxi,

I would not for any reason under the sun go near that car, don't buy it. Have the rules been changed again in regards to Taxi/Hackney, something to do with age of (would this effect the Carina) vehicles that can be used? Steer well clear of the 1.8vvti engine.

Regards, Beagh.

you have got the wrong end.

If the car has had the work done, ie with oil consumption, then i dont see why you shouldnt buy it.

generally hackney carriage cabs are maintained to a higher standard then Private hire. Also the rule Beagh is reffering to is one of vechiel max age.

Some councils will not pass a car which is older then 5 years, but this is local council dependant and NOT a general rule.

To Toyota Taxi,

Regards, Beagh.

you have got the wrong end.

If the car has had the work done, ie with oil consumption, then i dont see why you shouldnt buy it.

generally hackney carriage cabs are maintained to a higher standard then Private hire. Also the rule Beagh is reffering to is one of vechiel max age.

Some councils will not pass a car which is older then 5 years, but this is local council dependant and NOT a general rule.

Because some of the replacement engines also burn oil, but the fact it's had a replacement head as well isn't good news as it's one of the few things that doesn't usually affect the 1.8 VVTi's.

The 1.8 VVTi's are a pretty lousy engine compared to the earlier model anyway, harsher, noisier, you have to thrash them because all the power is high up, the early engines like in his Carina were lovely and smooth, not terribly powerful but plenty of low down torque, the 2.0's were absolute gems. Makes you wonder really, the 1.8 VVTi was superseded in the current Avensis after being in production for only around 8 years, the old engines were used in some form or another for nearly 20.

To cmia,

Toyota Taxi is based in Dublin, taxi regulator via RSA run a completely different system to UK. I take your point in regards to all the work done, but why take a chance. The country is awash with MK11 Toyota Avensis car's, new car sales have pretty much collapsed in Ireland. This has had a knock on effect on second hand cars, a vast amount of cars to choose from.

Regards, Beagh.

To cmia,

Toyota Taxi is based in Dublin, taxi regulator via RSA run a completely different system to UK. I take your point in regards to all the work done, but why take a chance. The country is awash with MK11 Toyota Avensis car's, new car sales have pretty much collapsed in Ireland. This has had a knock on effect on second hand cars, a vast amount of cars to choose from.

Regards, Beagh.

I stand corrected

:D

*note to myself, before opening my mouth again check location! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off-topic, I'd love to drive a high-miler Avensis. Just to 'feel' the difference. The highest mileage car that Ive been in (not driven) was a 330kmiler Seat Altea TDI taxi in Barcelona. So thats circa 330,000 MILES in just five years. Crackers.

Slightly off-topic, I'd love to drive a high-miler Avensis. Just to 'feel' the difference. The highest mileage car that Ive been in (not driven) was a 330kmiler Seat Altea TDI taxi in Barcelona. So thats circa 330,000 MILES in just five years. Crackers.

They don't use miles in Barcelona, do they?

They don't use miles in Barcelona, do they?

Im sure its KM

See the caps? :rolleyes:

I mentally converted the odometre figure at the time. Car didnt rattle or squeek but the chap said his seat was collapsing. I think the Altea must been run 24/7 with more than one driver (assumption).

• 2 weeks later...

Well i bought it!

DSC00633-2.jpg

DSC00634-2.jpg

DSC00637-2.jpg

Have to say it, it really doesnt drive like a car with 314K Miles.

I needed a small bit of body work (see pics below which im painting on Monday) a new drivers seatbelt (€160 from Toyota and fitted myself) A general service and that it really.

DSC00646-1.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links