Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Vvti Automatic High Miles

GeorgeJoseph

Hello All,

I just wanted to know what your opinion was on the 2.0 VVTI engines. I am planning to part exchange my current 1.6 4AFE for a 2006 2.0 VVTI automatic.. any ideas if it is a good idea...I know the high mileage might is a put off... any other suggestions for a replacement car...I dare not go near a 1.8 VVTI and the 1.6 VVTIs are hard to see...I do not wish to buy a car and then land up with clutch changes or engine short block replacements....The reason for the change is because my current car is a hopeless mess inside, the back seat keeps coming out of the lock into which it fits in and the paint on the back side has started peeling off..with a baby coming, I wish to get a car which is automatic, so that my wife can drive too... any thoughts welcome...

Hello All,

I just wanted to know what your opinion was on the 2.0 VVTI engines. I am planning to part exchange my current 1.6 4AFE for a 2006 2.0 VVTI automatic.. any ideas if it is a good idea...I know the high mileage might is a put off... any other suggestions for a replacement car...I dare not go near a 1.8 VVTI and the 1.6 VVTIs are hard to see...I do not wish to buy a car and then land up with clutch changes or engine short block replacements....The reason for the change is because my current car is a hopeless mess inside, the back seat keeps coming out of the lock into which it fits in and the paint on the back side has started peeling off..with a baby coming, I wish to get a car which is automatic, so that my wife can drive too... any thoughts welcome...

You don't say what money you have to play with nor what the mileage actually is. Would also suggest you determine what type of MPG you want to get as diesels and better for this but on many short runs petrol might be better. Also consider the Avensis Verso (2ltre petrol and 2.2l diesel) as the have masses of load space that is easily accessible, 7 seats that you can take out (apart from front 2). I lent mine to a friend with two kids and he managed to get all the bits and pieces into the car for a 2 week holiday. He removed two seats and had his two kids sitting in separate rows which stopped any fights! Also seems that the Verso is easier to work on and hence lower costs to service. Things like changing bulbs, oil change, plugs etc. is all DIY and quick. It is also very easy and light to drive and does give you a slightly higher view but not massive like say a MPV. His wife also liked the fact that she didn't have to bend down at all to put kids seats into it. The one I have is 2.0VVTi engine and drives well, gets 30-35 mpg when my wife drives it and less when I do. Has had no major issues and has never let us down.

How about a late 2.4 Camry auto? More spec, and better built (made in Japan), the 2002-onwards have much more comfortable front seats than the Avensis aswell, and second-hand ones are no dearer.

I do like the camry, but they are limited and also, from the looks of it most of them change hands quite often. Also insurance groups are a problem for me , since I have had a full UK license only for 1.5 years.

I am looking at a budget of 4-5k. Is the 2.0 VVTi better than the 2.0 engine in the older models. I am ok with the 2001-2003 shapes provided they have the 2.0 engine. The fact is despite the 1.8 VVTI issues, the avensis does not seem to have as much issues as a vectra(broken timing chains at 40k... ) .

IIs the 2.0 VVTi better than the 2.0 engine in the older models.

No, the 2.0 is one of the better VVTi engines though, the old pre-vvti 2.0 is regarded as one of Toyota's best 4 cylinder engines ever.

Mine is a 2 LTR VVTI Auto with 153K on the clock.

It is very reliable and runs great.

I average about 400 miles to a tank.

Only problem is a slight oil usage. About 1 litre every 3 to 3 1/2 K miles.

Insurance may be high though with a short driving history.

If you can get a good quote for insurance, go for the car.

Sooty

I am looking at a car for 4300£ locally. Its done 100k ,2.0 VVTI Automatic, 2005 , 55 Reg. Full Service History. Any ideas if its a good deal? As mentioned earlier, my current one is a 4AFE 1.6 petrol, T Reg. Do all the 2.0 VVTIs drink oil - maybe not as much as the 1.8 VVTI but still ...

Cheers,

George.

I wouldn't call 1 litre for every 3.000 miles a problem. Isn't that pretty average for any petrol engine?

I wouldn't call 1 litre for every 3.000 miles a problem. Isn't that pretty average for any petrol engine?

Not on the older 1.6 4AFE engine. Mines done 98k till date . I did my last service 6000 miles after the service before, yet the oil remained as it is . It did turn dark though. I still dont think 1 liter per 3k miles is normal - is this the case with all 2.0 VVTI engines?

Cheers,

George/

My 2.0 vvti probably uses as much as one of the 'bad' 1.8's. Probably just a touch over a litre per 1000 miles.

Currently on 120K miles, the oil usage is my only issue. I just make sure I check my oil and top up weekly.

Any one else who thinks this sort of mileage will be a problem? 100k miles on a 2.0 VVTI 55 reg Automatic. I definitely dont want to sell my current car with no oil burning issue for one which burns oil. ... 4300£ seems ok to me... is this age of car with 100k miles really worth 4300£?

Cheers,

George

Any one else who thinks this sort of mileage will be a problem? 100k miles on a 2.0 VVTI 55 reg Automatic. I definitely dont want to sell my current car with no oil burning issue for one which burns oil. ... 4300£ seems ok to me... is this age of car with 100k miles really worth 4300£?

Cheers,

George

I think £4300 is pushing it a bit, especially as the mechanicals on modern Avensis are a bit suspect. I know it's not really comparable, but about 6 years ago I bought a 5 year old 2.0 GLS Avensis auto from a Toyota dealer with 32k on it for £4495, so considering the mileage and that the prices of used cars are cheaper than ever I think it's a bit expensive.

I also have a different query, if my wife were to get a driving license for driving an automatic car, would she be able to drive the avensis sequential auto?

:)

I agree the car price does no justice, all avensis models listed on autotrader under the £5000 - £8000 mark, have all done excessive miles. I am sure if I were to sell a car of that mileage I would not get half the price as a private seller. Really unsure how second hand car dealers survive bumping prices by so much. It is actually said that the second hand car market is not doing too great and yet we have astronomical prices .... :o

I also have a different query, if my wife were to get a driving license for driving an automatic car, would she be able to drive the avensis sequential auto?

Yes, as long as there is no clutch pedal you can drive it on auto licence.

The Avensis sequential auto still has a normal 'D' position anyway, most of these sequential/tiptronic/paddle type efforts are things that people play with for the first few minutes then just end up just driving in full auto mode.

Not on the older 1.6 4AFE engine. Mines done 98k till date . I did my last service 6000 miles after the service before, yet the oil remained as it is . It did turn dark though. I still dont think 1 liter per 3k miles is normal - is this the case with all 2.0 VVTI engines?

Cheers,

George/

No, actually on some 1ZZ-FE's a litre pr 1000 miles seem to be "normal". Or so i am told. I got a 3S-FE myself. Never had problems with oilconsumption. Come to think of it, it used more oil when new than it does today.

Do the 2007 2.0 VVTI engines(the avensis with the lights in the rear view mirrors) have any improvements. Do those 2.0 VVTI engines have any complaints, or were those fixed like the 1.8 VVTI oil leak issues post 55 REG ?.

Do the 2007 2.0 VVTI engines(the avensis with the lights in the rear view mirrors) have any improvements. Do those 2.0 VVTI engines have any complaints, or were those fixed like the 1.8 VVTI oil leak issues post 55 REG ?.

The oil issue was on the 1.8 vvt-i. The 2.0 is a different engine family, the AZ. Most engines burn oil to some extend. Doesn't mean you have to worry about it, as long as it is within reasonable limits. When an engine is cold, the compression is not 100%. Some engines even experience an "accepteble level" of pistonslap until they reach normal working temperature, and the pistons expand. The valvetrain needs oil and some of that oil may find it's way into the combustion chamber. A litre within 5000 km, is not something i would worry about.

The 2.0 VVTi's are better, though still not as smooth as the old 3S-FE 2.0, only thing to keep an eye on is the head-gasket but certainly less prone to trouble than the 1.8's.

The 2.0 VVTi's are better, though still not as smooth as the old 3S-FE 2.0, only thing to keep an eye on is the head-gasket but certainly less prone to trouble than the 1.8's.

Heard of headgasket problems with the D-cat, but never the petrol. How frequent is that?

Heard of headgasket problems with the D-cat, but never the petrol. How frequent is that?

Not all that common but it's the only recurring issue thats appeared on here.

Not all that common but it's the only recurring issue thats appeared on here.

Any reason given why? Overheating or something else?

Ok Guys, I have put down a deposit for a 2007, VVTI(56 plate) car(facelift version).Its done 62k. I am buying it for 63k.The guy is a second owner. This guy did the last service when it was at 42k 8 months ago. He says he took it to toyota and they said not to do a service until it touches 20k in a year - is it ok if it is serviced in between 20 k miles?

got a 2.0l vvt tspirit auto 2 years ago on a 04 plate which had done 20000 miles ,now done 34000 miles .Burns no oil at all and i get around 37mpg on motorway at 75mph and between 20-25 mpg around town.Only problem i have had is that car keeps going back to dealers for engine management light coming on every couple of months.Its had various sensors fitted but problem keeps coming back and i am certain that all they do is reset the code fault and charging me a vast amount of money .You have been warned.I must be funding the F1 team alone the skanking bxxxxxxs.

Today I collected the car from the seller.It looks like he is missed a 10k service - like oil changes etc, and the car has done about 16k+ since the last service I see in the service history. Would this be a problem? When I drove the car all the way to London - about 120 miles, it did not seem to have any issues. I am planning to get it into Toyota this week for the 20k service.

I am just worried if the guy forgot/didnt do the 10k oil service, would it affect the car in any way?

Thanks,

George.

Today I collected the car from the seller.It looks like he is missed a 10k service - like oil changes etc, and the car has done about 16k+ since the last service I see in the service history. Would this be a problem? When I drove the car all the way to London - about 120 miles, it did not seem to have any issues. I am planning to get it into Toyota this week for the 20k service.

I am just worried if the guy forgot/didnt do the 10k oil service, would it affect the car in any way?

Thanks,

George.

Not really, the service interval on a lot of new cars is 20-30k now anyway, one missed won't hurt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links