Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Recall

peter causey

I was amazed to see on Toyota's official website that Rav4s are not now to be included in the recall! My model - Oct 2007 - has had this fault from the start & the fault has been registered with Toyota since 9/1/2009 - see my forum entry of January last year under user name trooper1. I suggest that members view American blogs/forums & News Stations such as CNN where the conduct of Toyota is, almost, an hourly topic. The U.S. congress are reported to be going investigate Toyota's conduct over the past 10 years! We must keep the pressure up for our cars to be cured of this potentially dangerous fault.

The motoring section in todays Sunday Times mentions some Rav4 owners reporting this problem.

The motoring section in todays Sunday Times mentions some Rav4 owners reporting this problem.

Read article LINK :thumbsup: STEW

There are more aspects to this which I'm in the throws of detailing but not had much time. In the meantime Peter can you use a mirror or just point your digital camera up there to look which pedal you've got. Mine is definitely the Denso and has never played tricks.

If anyone else wants to check and report back that would be good.

This is why (after much researching) Toyota are saying RAVs are not affected but both cases we have seen are pre 2009 model XT-Rs. I wonder if those are the same?

Hi. Thanks for your help. My pedal is also a Denso! Like the correspondent in the Sunday Times I have had problems since 2008. My dealer couldn't find a fault and said that he had searched Toyota's database and that no, similar fault had been recorded. I was given the same information by Toyota Customer Services when I registered the fault with them on 9/1/2009 when I was given a unique reference number 516874. The fault still occurs intermittently., Peter Causey.

There are more aspects to this which I'm in the throws of detailing but not had much time. In the meantime Peter can you use a mirror or just point your digital camera up there to look which pedal you've got. Mine is definitely the Denso and has never played tricks.

This is why (after much researching) Toyota are saying RAVs are not affected but both cases we have seen are pre 2009 model XT-Rs. I wonder if those are the same?

A totaly different accelator pedal, from my 4.2 which the previous owner reported for sticking accelerator pedal.

Now its not hard to see how some forigen object (carpet mat, the slip of the foot) could stop this un-sealed mechanism from not working. If the plastic broke or the spring broke/came off the pedal would sink to the floor. I`m quite shocked that this mechanism is not covered. Should it be.? You can see in the picture the top of the actual pedal, so your foot is not that far from all the spring mechanism.

Having just said that, just been to look at it again, seems that it has a backup sping attatched to a cable, so infact if one did go, there is a smaller spring to pull the pedal back up. Feel a bit better now.

Table069.jpg

Peter

Bare with me I will come back to you on this.

Jedi/Plutus

Rest assured that the current recall is nothing to do with your 4.2s. If there was something sticking and it doesn't do it now then they obviously fixed it successfully and unless it does it again then don't worry. There is no nee4d to cover any of the tops of the pedals as they don't actually get dirty. Look how clean yours is after all this time. That spring on the cable is nothing to do with the accelerator it is the anchor for something on the other end of that cable. Take me another photo facing further up and let me look!!

The other end of the cable goes to where you can see the ball bearing type thing, thats the other end of the cable, the cable is like a bicycle brake cable, around 10cm long. It seems to do the same function as the main spring.

Will try and take some more photos tomorrow. Unless of course you have a PDF for this Anchorman?

Checked my pdfs. That cable is anchored to the fixed bracket. I need to see up the other end to know what it does!

It loops round the back indicated by the red line.

If I push the cable up (green up arrow) it gets loose and the other end pops out (green right arrow)

Seems to run in parrallel to the main spring.

Table0691.jpg

If I push the cable up (green up arrow) it gets loose and the other end pops out (green right arrow)

Table0691.jpg

Does it as a "back-up device" incase the main spring breaks??

Table0691.jpg

Does it as a "back-up device" incase the main spring breaks??

Thats what I was thinking, seems to be a backup device, incase main spring breaks. Just wanted to be sure

sorry ancs - I've spent a good few hours falling aboot laughing

Ah telt ye all that the 4.1 RAV is the best ever an the 3 door is the elite....

an everybidy casts m ock at me---- so I think I have (and the rest of ma 4.1 model owners)the last laugh. Said afore - a RAV is for life which is why I have 2 1994 models.... would ah trade em in fur 4.3 post war models??? naw!

Ah dinna need tae use ma digital camera tae see up ma fitwellcos ah ken the beast is weel fit - weel apairt frae the KAD calipers which may allegwedly hae a sticking pot (wan on 12) causing ma front brake problems ......ah awiat the ootcome....

Noo, onywan got a landrover wi any recall problems?? lol

Not even LR would recall a LR. Its easier to start again!!!

I hope you've acclimatised to the cold again. You need to plug your electric central heating back into the lamp post again!

I was amazed to see on Toyota's official website that Rav4s are not now to be included in the recall! My model - Oct 2007 - has had this fault from the start & the fault has been registered with Toyota since 9/1/2009 - see my forum entry of January last year under user name trooper1. I suggest that members view American blogs/forums & News Stations such as CNN where the conduct of Toyota is, almost, an hourly topic. The U.S. congress are reported to be going investigate Toyota's conduct over the past 10 years! We must keep the pressure up for our cars to be cured of this potentially dangerous fault.

yesterday i talked in private to a CRM over by phone and she told me my rav will be wanted soon to change these parts. but another CRM belong to other dealership told me that the ravs assembled in japan with VIN starting from "J" are nor belong to recall program. it look s strange -- someone from twos gives a false info :) but you know which way i should follow ....:)

i will up date the result. cheers/Igor

Igor

All RAVs start with a J (built in Japan) until some US models will be built locally some time soon.

The recall shouldn't affect yours as it should have a Denso pedal unit and there simply is no fix for it as it is not acknowledged yet as troublesome. The 2 that we know of could be completely unrelated but I am not prepared to speculate given the recent bad reporting of Channel 4 News where I gave them a balanced statement and they broadcast what appeared to be a negative one.

This forum is big enough and important enough that I am hoping we can build more of a positive relationship with TGB for discussing and feeding back issues. Here they have a collection of owners that can be utilised to voice opinion and hopefully shape forthcoming models as well as ongoing field problems.

I've started some dialogue with them but am not prepared to push during the current climate. I would say to you that you shouldn't worry about your accelerator unless it causes a problem and then you can discuss it with a dealer. I am honestly not the slightest bit concerned about mine. I see it as no different to panicing about a dmf or engine or anything else that might fail - I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

It's good that you've started dialogue with them AM, just hope they listen.

They seem to have their ears shut re. spare wheels, and the T180 run-flats were a disgrace.

Igor

All RAVs start with a J (built in Japan) until some US models will be built locally some time soon.

The recall shouldn't affect yours as it should have a Denso pedal unit and there simply is no fix for it as it is not acknowledged yet as troublesome. The 2 that we know of could be completely unrelated but I am not prepared to speculate given the recent bad reporting of Channel 4 News where I gave them a balanced statement and they broadcast what appeared to be a negative one.

This forum is big enough and important enough that I am hoping we can build more of a positive relationship with TGB for discussing and feeding back issues. Here they have a collection of owners that can be utilised to voice opinion and hopefully shape forthcoming models as well as ongoing field problems.

I've started some dialogue with them but am not prepared to push during the current climate. I would say to you that you shouldn't worry about your accelerator unless it causes a problem and then you can discuss it with a dealer. I am honestly not the slightest bit concerned about mine. I see it as no different to panicing about a dmf or engine or anything else that might fail - I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Don/Igor

I am not in worries yet cos the pedal works fine since August 2009. But if MrT wants me to arrive --- i can not contradict -- they will evaluate what to do -- either to arrange a coffee, as usual or to cure it :)

Yes you're correct -- all ravs are assembled in Japan --- I have simply was in misunderstanding having rcvd an opposite info from two dealerships.

Thank you/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links