Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Sold

02skn

Yesterday we changed the Rav for a 2009 Renault Laguna sports tourer (estate). It has a 150bhp 2 ltr diesel engine and quite a nice spec as well.

The kids love the panoramic roof and the wife thinks the keyless entry and push button start is really funky.

Sad to see the Rav go but see is getting on a bit and the p/ex price offered was difficult to turn down.

The car has been in the familly since new, first with my Dad and then we have had her for the last 5 years.

We have been very lucky with her and we have not seen any of the reliability issues some other members have encountered.(dreaded DMF)

Also our Aygo has been p/exd for a 2009 Ford Fiesta Econetic. Should see some good mpg figures and the free car tax is a bonus.(never liked the Aygo. Not very Toyota like,feels cheap cheap cheap)

Thanks for the help you all have given over the years and hopefully there will be an Anchorman on the Renault and Ford Forums.

Good luck with the new car but don't expect the same reliabilty. Sadly the Laguna has a poor history with failing turbos, keycard problems, exhaust filters (where fitted), etc, etc, etc, And expect rear boot lock problems.

Also Renault use a different protocol in their ECU software and only Renault can access all apsects so you may be stuck having to pay dealer prices as many independents can't diagnose problems.

I hate to rain on your parade but I think it only fair to give you the heads up.

They are a very comfortable car and well finished with all the bells and whistles but sadly they have serious reliability isues.

I am speaking from experience and that of many others.:)

Good Luck and Happy Motoring.:)

We had a 1998 renault laguna 2.0 RT, every one was putting it down saying this and that fails, we had it for 8 years, never failed an MOT, perfect runner, best car we ever had, I really wish we had kept hold of it. Some one got a bargin.

Keep an eye on your fob Battery too, I have a relative who got stuck locked out of her Megane because the Battery died, no key to fall back on!!!

11pm late, cold, female and alone - not good, replaced Battery, fob failed completely - turns out the chip needed reprogramming or something, the car had to get towed to Renault who charged £220 for the pleasure!!!

The codes probably rolled out of sync, usually happens if your away from the car and you keep pressing the fob, you need to re-sync it with the car , but you will need dealer diagnostic equipment to do it. The other way to do it, is to put the key in the door and open it that way, but as you have no key hole your buggered.

Well if Renault have upped there game on reliability....since I last had one.... Had 5 Renaults as company cars over the years... 3 being Laguna's.....all had issues.... French made vehicle have their far share....

Pay a visit over to Parkers.com and there forums.... may be an eye opener....

You've made the choice on the best possible advise and experience you had... and I wish you all the best with the new car..... nothing like the feeling of a new vehicle and scenery (dashboard) to keep you happy.... Hope you have as many happy journeys as the RAV gave you..... :) :) :) :) :)

I agree that in the past Renault have not had the best press reference reliability. We have owned a few Clios and an old Laguna in the past and not really had any

of the problems that have plauged other owners. If you read the reviews, the latest Laguna is a big leap forward in the quality and reliability stakes.

We were very lucky with the Rav but the Aygo was a nightmare. New cutch fitted and other issues on a 2008 car with less than 10k on the clock.

I think a lot of the time you have good or bad luck with all makes. I think most weeks we see someone post here with tales of woe ref. Dmfs and other big cost items.

Maybe its a sign of the times that all these companys are run by accountants and not engineers.

Not many Toyota owners would have expected a world wide recall when buying into the ultra reliable Toyota brand. (thats not a dig by the way)

Keep an eye on your fob battery too, I have a relative who got stuck locked out of her Megane because the battery died, no key to fall back on!!!

11pm late, cold, female and alone - not good, replaced battery, fob failed completely - turns out the chip needed reprogramming or something, the car had to get towed to Renault who charged £220 for the pleasure!!!

All keyless entry cars have an emergency means of access and egress - if only their owners could be bothered to read the handbook and try it out when they first get their car. Also the car will start even if the Battery in the fob is removed.:)

All the best 02skn and thanks for the kind words. You haven't burned your bridges as far as I am concerned and I'm sure the others too so keep popping in. As far as the Renault goes ...............

........well they look nice but I have to say, based on previous experience they aren't my cup of tea. I sincerely hope yours proves to be a gem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links