Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Sai Hybrid (saloon Prius?)

Grumpy Cabbie

Just seen some pictures of the Toyota Sai. Looks rather nice to me in a Japanese/Prius sort of way.

Shame Toyota arn't ever likely to ship them over. Surely it would only take minor modifications such as rear fogs to bring it upto UK compliance?

http://cheap-used-car-s.com/wp-content/upl.../toyota-sai.jpg

Yes, I seen the Toyota Sai on NHK World news last night.

2010-Toyota-SAI-Hybrid-Sedan-3.jpg2010-Toyota-SAI-Hybrid-Sedan-2.jpg

"The Sai is based on the Lexus HS250h hybrid, a vehicle designed for people who want a more premium hybrid experience than they would get in the Toyota Prius. The Sai would seem to fit somewhere in between. It offers the same powerplant as the HS, but not quite as many luxury features.

The Toyota Sai Hybrid uses a 2.4-liter petrol engine generating just under 150 horsepower, and up to 187 Nm of torque. It is mated to a strong electric motor, powered by a nickel-metal hydride Battery, which produces an additional 140 hp and up to 270 Nm of torque. The Toyota Sai Hybrid powertrain is designed to utilize the two generators efficiently, giving the driver up to 185 hp at any given time.

December the seventh is the release date for the Toyota Sai retailing at 3.38 million yen ($40,250), the Lexus HS250 is priced at 3.96 million yen ($47,159).

The Sai is expected to have a consumption rate of 4.34 liters per 100 km. At this stage Toyota has no plans to export the Sai, preferring to concentrate on the home market."

Pity :(

Yes, I seen the Toyota Sai on NHK World news last night.

2010-Toyota-SAI-Hybrid-Sedan-3.jpg2010-Toyota-SAI-Hybrid-Sedan-2.jpg

"The Sai is based on the Lexus HS250h hybrid, a vehicle designed for people who want a more premium hybrid experience than they would get in the Toyota Prius. The Sai would seem to fit somewhere in between. It offers the same powerplant as the HS, but not quite as many luxury features.

The Toyota Sai Hybrid uses a 2.4-liter petrol engine generating just under 150 horsepower, and up to 187 Nm of torque. It is mated to a strong electric motor, powered by a nickel-metal hydride battery, which produces an additional 140 hp and up to 270 Nm of torque. The Toyota Sai Hybrid powertrain is designed to utilize the two generators efficiently, giving the driver up to 185 hp at any given time.

December the seventh is the release date for the Toyota Sai retailing at 3.38 million yen ($40,250), the Lexus HS250 is priced at 3.96 million yen ($47,159).

The Sai is expected to have a consumption rate of 4.34 liters per 100 km. At this stage Toyota has no plans to export the Sai, preferring to concentrate on the home market."

Pity :(

Agghhh :huh:

Seeing your pictures and the specs really whetted my appetite. Would suit me down to the ground. The Prius is just - and I mean just big enough for my job, but the Lexus is way over budget. A hybrid somewhere inbetween would be great. The Camry is probably too big for european roads and the Sai is probably just right.

A modified rear light cluster to include a rear fog light and a modified boot lid incorporating more room for our larger number plate is all I can see that is needed. I am aware there will be other compliance issues but surely it wouldn't cost too much to bring them over. There are one or two Japan only models that Toyota have that would probably do well over here (and quite a few others that wouldn't) yet we don't get them.

Frustrating :(

Generally speaking I prefer saloons, but the shape of the Prius is so iconic, I'm not sure I would prefer a booted version in this case.

Generally speaking I prefer saloons, but the shape of the Prius is so iconic, I'm not sure I would prefer a booted version in this case.

You here as well ;) Didn't know you had a Prius?

You here as well ;) Didn't know you had a Prius?

Small world. But don't you remember me PM-ing you on PSPSW about the Prius nav?

I don't have one (yet). I have a Merc. But in the next twelve months I'm going to have to make an informed decision about how much BIK tax I want to continue to pay. ;)

Small world. But don't you remember me PM-ing you on PSPSW about the Prius nav?

I don't have one (yet). I have a Merc. But in the next twelve months I'm going to have to make an informed decision about how much BIK tax I want to continue to pay. ;)

Sadly my memory is awful and I get so many damned PM's every day that I don't recall. We traded in a CLK 320 for our Prius and love it. And of course refuelling only every few weeks is great compared with every few days :D

I got my new tax code for 10/11 last week, and the amount of money I'm being expected to cough for my Merc - which comes out of the garage once a week or less - has stiffened my resolve to seek out an alternative. The lease is up early 2011, so I've got a year to make up my mind. So far, a Prius T4 is the front-runner, despite all the recent unpleasantness.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links