Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Re.o2 Sensor Replacement

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys

Re my 2001 1.8vvti avensis SR which i have had for coming up to 3 months now...iv'e been advised 1 of my o2 sensor's needs replacing...and the engine management light is on even after cancelling the light out 2 months back...but is it true that if you do have the sensor replaced...the others will eventually go??? so is it worth replacing???as they are so expensive!

Why do some/most mechanics advise me to just leave it as it is and it wont affect anything???

They also say the engine management light comes on...and then goes off...its a common thing...is that true???because mine doesnt go off...it stays on!

Im confused...any advice out there??? I dont really want to fork out on 1 new sensor and then the others go! I hate these modern cars...should have stuck to my nissan micra...lol.

Thanks...sammy

In a normal running engine the management light should not be illuminated. It's showing a fault but there can be numerous reasons for such and not just a faulty sensor may be the problem. If left uncorrected there is a more than likely risk matters will only get worse and cost much more to repair in the long run. One possibility is that such a fault could damage the CAT in the exhaust system which would cost hundreds to replace.

I suggest you find a garage that knows what they are doing and refrain from listening to yarns that may or may not be true. Yes many people continue to drive with engine management lights displayed but in my opinion they are only puting off the eventuality which in the end may cost more than the car is worth.:)

• 4 weeks later...

if engine warning light on and lamdba sensor faulty will cause excessive fuel consumption and other problems toyota recommend replacing all the sensors but bear in mind the tempretures of the exhaust and age can cause problems replacing the sensors as the can weld them selfs into the cat/exhaust pipes which can lead to quite an expensive repair but ignoring warning lights is not a very good idea as they are a warning of potentil problems it ys people who ignore these problems end up broken down waiting for rescue/recovery which could have been provented

• 1 month later...

Hi guys...

A follow on.....(re my 2001 51 Sr 1.8vvti 86500k)

My engine light came on again the other day...so as i've done before i pulled the EFI fuse again for a second and it went off...see i work a couple of miles down the road and thats all i use my car for...but its when i do a slightly longer run...say a 5/10 minute drive that i find it comes on! Anyway i made friends with a local mechanic (he used to work for BMW)and he offered to do a diagnostic check for free...but he couldn't find any faults at all...he said its because i pulled the EFI fuse its cleared the ECU memory! Anyway he said to come back when the light comes back on after which he can check it again and see which lambda sensor is faulty. I told him how i have a high fuel consumption problem (£50 full tank i get 150miles approx) and so he knelt down with the engine running and smelt at the exhaust and said its definitley burning rich as he could smell petrol. What do you guys think? Please help.

p.s...Also im getting like a squeaky sound which i think is coming from the belt (think i only have 1 big belt looking at it now)that makes the sound at low revs say from 1st to 2nd gear...any ideas why?

Sammy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links