Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil

tommy.h

Hi All

was told by RRG that the oil i should be using is a 5/30, however was wondering if i could use 10/40 as my car has done 78k.

by the way it's an AVENSIS D-4D T3-X.

thanks

tom

Hi All

was told by RRG that the oil i should be using is a 5/30, however was wondering if i could use 10/40 as my car has done 78k.

thanks

tom

i cant see any reason why you cant use 10/40, that grade is pretty much standard for grade for most if not all toyota engines to be honest.

Hi All

thanks

tom

why do you need to chcange an oil schedule??? what is the reason??? oil consumption or what?

cheers

Unless its a taxi, and you want to adhear to the service timings use the correct type of oil.

Hi All

no it is not a taxi. i was just asking a question as my car has done 78k. i do not see any reason why i could not use a higher viscosity oil than usual.

as TOYOTEKK! states that a lot of TOYOTAS do run on the grade also on AUTODATA it normally states that in certain climates it is acceptable as the lower viscosity oils are for easier starting in lower temperatures.

the old AVENSISeven quoted 15w/40 semi synth in moderate climate.

thanks anyway to all

Tom

Hi All

no it is not a taxi. i was just asking a question as my car has done 78k. i do not see any reason why i could not use a higher viscosity oil than usual.

as TOYOTEKK! states that a lot of TOYOTAS do run on the grade also on AUTODATA it normally states that in certain climates it is acceptable as the lower viscosity oils are for easier starting in lower temperatures.

thanks anyway to all

Tom

Yes but the old avensis had a different engine, if Toyota have gone to the hassel of spending money in R&D to work out the optimum oil for a specific engine then its probably best to use it.

In an emergancy I would stick in the 10/40 if you were miles from anywhere and needed to top up and thats all thats around. But otherwise Id sitck the recommended stuff in.

Hi All

thanks anyway to all

Tom

Yes but the old avensis had a different engine, if Toyota have gone to the hassel of spending money in R&D to work out the optimum oil for a specific engine then its probably best to use it.

In an emergancy I would stick in the 10/40 if you were miles from anywhere and needed to top up and thats all thats around. But otherwise Id sitck the recommended stuff in.

Hi Caveman

yes that was a different engine but TOYOTA recommended 5/30 or moderate climate 10/30 or 15/40.

also as engines get older they slacken up and using a higher viscosity can improve lubrication & quieten the engine.

iof you have access to AUTODATA or have a friend who has check out manufacturers recomendations they are all very similar

tom

Hi All

thanks anyway to all

Tom

If the R and D was that good, how come so many VVTI's failed, plus the recent Toyota recalls

Hi All

thanks anyway to all

Tom

If the R and D was that good, how come so many VVTI's failed, plus the recent Toyota recalls

the VVTI faliure was actualy carbon build up on the pistons which lead to exessive wear on the rings and bores.

Alot of manufactures had the same issues

Hi All

thanks anyway to all

Tom

the VVTI faliure was actualy carbon build up on the pistons which lead to exessive wear on the rings and bores.

So Toyota R and D didn't work then did it.

And the R and D team didn't learn from them did they.

Hi All

thanks anyway to all

Tom

So Toyota R and D didn't work then did it.

And the R and D team didn't learn from them did they.

:unsure:

i just told you why..

i wonder what percentage of cars were effected.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links