Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T4 Avensis Fuel Flap Will Not Shut,

anthonyjcook

Hi all,

I have an Avensis T4 03 reg and the fuel flap will not close, ay ideas, please?

I'm useless with cars!!! :unsure:

hello check to see if the central locking is working on the fuel flap because it locks with rest of car if its locked then it will not close also check the switch

Has the solenoid fallen off inside the rear end of the car, there should be a little black stub protruding into the fuel filler cap area, this is attached to the solenoid which moves backwards and forwards when you press the button on the door. I had the same problem where the black stub broke. Mr T said £90 +VAT as the black bit is not sold seperatly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are in luck today as my fuel flap had the very same problem twice in the past few weeks. First time this happened I assumed that the mechanism must've been frozen stiff. So I removed the mechanism, which initially was a bit of a challenge.

i. remove the n/s and rear anchor points, then the boot carpet.

ii. carefully remove the boot trim on the rear and n/s

iii. using a 10mm spanner/socket, undo the mechanism retaining nut and extract the mechanism. Unclip the wiring plug.

I then placed it on the radiator to defrost. Then using a 12volt supply and some wires to check that it still actually worked. It moved.

To refit simply reversal of the removal.

Unfortunately 2 weeks later the same thing happened, but this time putting it on the radiator didn't make a difference, it was still seized solid. So I undid the 2 screws and prised open the mechanism. (well if I needed a new 1 it wouldn't do any harm)

As soon as I began to prise the casing I felt something shift back into place and the push rod popped out and could be moved. So I continued to move it in and out. After a time it jammed again. I gave it a squeeze, felt the inside shift again and the mechanism popped out. Played about with it again and yet again after a time jammed.

So with a stanley blade I finished prising the casing open.

I put some grease on/into the moving parts. After the grease was worked in I could feel that things sort of tightened.

Then put the casing back together and replaced the screws tightly. Kept on 'priming' the mechanism and it did not jam. I appreciate that the weather hasn't been as severely cold but the mechanism still works with a very smooth in and out action.

So if its a quick fix you need why not give the mechanism a tight squeeze while its all still in situ (no need to dismantle the whole boot interior).

I hope this works for you.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have a 53 plate Avensis and my fuel lid solenoid has stopped working.

I have bought a new solenoid for £13 off eBay and saved the black pin which fell out in the boot when I pulled it.

Are they easy to put pback together?

Help please.........

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

My Solenoid & Pin had dropped off inside the Boot. The Solenoid & mechanism is working just fine. The problem I am having is refitting it. I can reach the hole for the pin to go through but am struggling to attach the Solenoid on the bracket! Is there a special technique or tool, because I cannot work out how you get to the bracket to tighten up the screws.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Steve.

I tested the emergency manual release pull cord on mine yesterday and it jammed in the open position until I gave the cord a wiggle at which point it popped back out again allowing the cover to latch shut. I didn't know I had this emergency facility until I fitted reverse sensors and found it dangling inside the rear wing. There's a velcro pad on the handle so I've attached it to the fuzzy felt lining of the cubby hole so it doesn't get lost again.

• 5 years later...

I had the same issue with my Toyota avensis. Opened the carpet of the boot and gave the wire a wiggle and now fixed. Tested it by opening the flap a few times to ensure it doesn’t happen again and hid the cord just incase someone else decides to pull it like I did today. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links