Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy Auris

gizmobell

Hi Im looking for some advise from you experienced owners, I am thinking of traiding in My 1.4 corolla far a Auris, what is the best model and what should I look out for.

Hi Im looking for some advise from you experienced owners, I am thinking of traiding in My 1.4 corolla far a Auris, what is the best model and what should I look out for.

Hey Mate

Il save u a whole load of money and trouble by saying 1 word: DONT!!

ABZ-T2

You will find a few people who are not happy with their Auris but IMO we are very happy with ours and has done everything we expected apart form the MPG is around 5MPG less than we expected. My advice to you is the Auris is a good solid car but the dash plastics etc could look better but go and get a 24hour test drive and make your own mind up.

If they still done the T180, SR180 i would say yes, but sadly i am going to say no. Look at the Skoda Octavia or a golf.

Personally I'd say look elsewhere, having had two Auris, and driven a few others, many of them have the same problems, it's just the odd few that are Ok!

Focus/Astra/Golf/Leon/Octavia/Mazda 3/Civic/Ceed/I30 - Plenty of good cars in this sector :D

308/Megane/C3/Bravo - And some average ones :lol: ;)

I did precisely what you are considering, and swapped my 2006 Corolla Colour Collection 1.4 for a new Auris TR 1.33 back in October 2009. Absolutely no regrets. Car only used on short commuting runs so far - consumption similar to Corolla (although we'll be going to the Isla of Skye in May so the Auris will do 1500 - 2000 miles in two weeks, 600 plus of which will be motorway).

Yes the dashboard plastics are different to the Corolla - but if you can afford new, the facelifted Auris addresses this. Dashboard plastics are hard and similar to Mazda3.

Chose the 1.33 as that was the equivalent model in terms of engine sze and bhp to the Corolla.

I looked at the following:

Kia C'eed - too wide for garage. Hyundai i30 - same width as Kia and Hyundai had done so well with scrappage deals that there was a 12 week waiting list for the i10, i20 and i30 (may still be the same). Civic - again width issue and servicing costs are high (we've had two Hondas before - think the two year service is around £ 450) and they've had quality issues with the Civic. Peugeot 308 - expensive. Skoda Octavia -worth looking at especially if they've still got deals like Skoda pays the VAT. Focus and Astra - heavy depreciation so buy at big discount.

Try the Auris and see what you think.

If they still done the T180, SR180 i would say yes, but sadly i am going to say no. Look at the Skoda Octavia or a golf.

I will be very honest and say we bought a T180 but if there had not been the T180/SR180 or the 2.0l diesel we would have had a Civic diesel for sure.

I think this thread has turned a bit unfair, the Auris is a DECENT car and had no more problems than other manufactures. All cars get recalled no matter what make you buy and to be very fair most people mainly moan about the quality of the interior or lack off yet every owner could see this when they bought the car so why buy it? I myself feel that for the T180/SR180 which was the flagship model then Toyota should have made the interior more sporty and of a better feel.

I for one are well happy with the Auris T180 (apart from around 5MPG short of what I expected) and have no regrets buying an Auris, Like I said earlier if Toyota had not done a 2l or 2.2l diesel for sure I would have bought a Civic.

You will find a few people who are not happy with their Auris but IMO we are very happy with ours and has done everything we expected apart form the MPG is around 5MPG less than we expected. My advice to you is the Auris is a good solid car but the dash plastics etc could look better but go and get a 24hour test drive and make your own mind up.

I fully agree , in fact I am willing to sell you my black t180 07 plate Auris, Navi, Front, Rear and side skirts (Toyota Motorsport) , for which i have just purchased a 2 year extended warranty ( why would i have done that... :thumbsup: ?????).

yes it has a few rattles, yes it has a failed seat cushion, yes the navi skips , yes the fuel consumption could be better, but aside from that I have already sorted about 12 problems on my car, including 2 or 3 previous recalls, and the throttle pedal will be done soon. ( the others are under consideration by the extended warranty group). I will also MOT next month...

So all things considered I have suffered the pain so that you can enjoy a good bargain basement price car... :thumbsup:

i would not worry about the mileage (nearly 68k miles) as this is Toyota Quality we are talking about!

and ( in the case of the engine, transmission and chassis parts) I truly believe the engine and powertrain will last up to 200k if properly looked after...

Goes like stink, and is very user friendly...

Let me know when you want and come and collect it :thumbsup:

I will second that

The Auris is a good car and it doesn't suffer the reliability problems and inconsistent build quality you will find on many other cars in this segment. This in itself makes it boring according to some. Its too practical and predictable.

Toyota did make some mistake on the Auris, namely the plastic dash, yet that doesn't bother me much.

I do really like my t180. I still enjoy driving it after 3 years and i wouldn't call myself boring as i have a very healthy obsession for all things motorsport and enjoy driving track cars myself.

Would i buy another Auris? Probably not, simply because i'm going to be buying the Toyota FT-86 in a couple of years time. If the FT-86 wasn't around i would consider another one if they had a twin turbo diesel or a sporty hatch. If the don't a 2010 Rav4 would certainly be considered. Other makes from Toyota. Well i have had very bad experiences with Renault. VW too and Audi are overpriced. BMW do a few nice models but i'm not keen on the image. Civic's don't tempt me because i dont like the radical design. I certainly wouldn't buy a vauxhall. Ford's are very common although 2nd hand i might consider some of the models yet it would take a lot to convince me as Fords have one of the worse MOT failure rates for 2nd hand cars. Although I really like the look of the new RS. Gone are the days of old / interesting cars for me. I need something with low-ish mileage and reliable. So no old BMW v8's or old R32's. SEAT? Well, possibly, Skoda? A lot for your money. Would need to drive a few first i guess. As for Kia's / Hyundai's they aren't to my taste but they seem like very sensible, practical cars which might suit a lot of people. They just dont suit me.

I love my T180. Goes like a rocket, is comfortable on long drives, handles really well, and is big enough to carry all my rubbish around with the back seats down.

The only downside is MPG, I get around 30->35 - but I do drive it quite hard most of the time (I have a 15 mile commute to work on some nice twisty country roads).

I have looked at most of the cars mentioned above and more before decided on Auris, purely based on my pevious experiences with Toyota and its efficient dealership.....

Only downside(I think..) is that the styling could be better? But the overall package and value definitely beat other manufacturers.

I speak as I find - My auris 2 .0 diesel TR I have had for two years. The most relaxing car I have ever driven. I drive for economy, but have the power to pull a caravan. Tank "fill to fill" always gives me 48/52 mpg for over 400miles, and 32 pulling the caravan. Only criticism is the ugly styling (in my opinion- but someone in the design office obviously liked it!)- and those awful alloys- I hate them- but steel wheels don't fit. The ride could be smoother.

IMO the "best model" is the one that suits your needs and pocket best, what suits someone else might not suit you. I'd advise getting a good long preferably 24 hour test drive of the one you fancy.

I'm well pleased with my Auris, as metioned by rcflyer a very relaxing drive, with plenty of interior space. Running costs are good, and I don't see many cases of big expensive things going wrong, power train and chasssis seems to be very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying they ditched the D-cat? Only in UK or all over Europe? Why would they do that unless something more powerful is around the corner?

what your gonna notice is that most manufacturers .... will prob all be ditching big engine capacities in keeping with all this carbon footprint nonsense just to please all the eco-freaks

Focus/Astra/Golf/Leon/Octavia/Mazda 3/Civic/Ceed/I30 - Plenty of good cars in this sector :D

308/Megane/C3/Bravo - And some average ones :lol: ;)

I wouldn't mention Astras in the good list...

the one I'm looking to change has had in the last 2 years

2 new exhaust manifolds, due to swirl flap failure at 800 quid each

a new EGR valve at 100 quid

Alternator at 300 quid

A still undiagnosed under bonnet fire!

Air conditioning has just packed up this week.

I was looking at either a diesel Auris or Avensis.. not so sure now!

what your gonna notice is that most manufacturers .... will prob all be ditching big engine capacities in keeping with all this carbon footprint nonsense just to please all the eco-freaks

It's not big engines that create polution. It's big, heavy cars. In fact a big car with a smaller engine polutes more than a lighter car, with power to spare. It's a matter of weight and how you drive. Except from that, it wouldn't matter much more than a drop in the ocean if all cars, all over the world were scrapt in favour of bicycles. Especially when we talk about newer cars, that have a high effiency to power rate

If you decide to go ahead, have a look at Drivethedeal. They seem to offer more than £4k of all Auris models! No doubt other online dealers are doing the same.

Its a good car, apart from its usual mishaps,

Here in South Africa , theres nothing much in the ZAR 200K region. The Golf 5 FSI was too expensive and why buy a polo Gti?

The Honda was failry decent but after warranty services are astronomical.

Toyota has a fairly good resale in ZA but the top models really take a huge price drop ! My 1.8RX was bought in 2008 and is now valued at only 70% is selling price!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links