Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please

cmh shek

Hi guys, I'm sure some of you experienced mechanics can help me out.

My TS has been making a clunking noise recently, so I went to my locals the other day who had a look and said it was the right drop link. They ordered it and fitted it today..but the clunking hasn't stopped :(

It happens when:

1. releasing the clutch quickly I can hear it and feel it on the pedals

2. driving over bumps in the road

3. giving it a bit of gas and then letting off sharply

Sounds like somethings loose and knocking against something whenever there's a sudden change in movement. Definitely feels like it's coming from underneath/wheel arch of drivers seat.

Recently had new clutch/lightweight flywheel and ES engine mount inserts installed..don't know if they have anything to do with it :unsure:

Any ideas would be appreciated..she drives perfectly fine and still pulls hard, but not sure if I should be hammering it in case something goes wrong lol.

Cheers

Chris

Before i had read the whole post i was thinking engine mounts, get someone to rock on and off the clutch with it in gear whilst looking under the bonnet for excessive movement.

Stand to the side not the front!

Will give it a go mate, but it only happens when the car's moving. Tried pressing the clutch when stationary but all seems well..

Is that rocking back and forth in 1st with the handbrake on? You need someone looking in for the movement.

It seems a bit coincidental you have had work done in the area thats now making a noise.

I agree it's a bit coincidental, but if it was an engine mount would it not cause more problems? I've been really hammering it lately and it pulls just as strong as before.

The mechanic did say it sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft..but I'll need to book it in for him to take a closer look

Drop links are a pain in the *****. I agree with cab though, too much of a coincidence with the mount work etc so thats job numero uno.

Depending on how your old drop link failed could be an issue too..... i just replaced one on mine where the thread was seized but slightly loose.... it caused it to clonk all the time. That clonking was the movement of the bolt in the plate that holdsit to the shock. It is possible with force for it to distort the plate hole, which in turn makes it nigh on impossible to prevent some clonking.

Has the noise reduced since the new drop link was fitted?

Nope! Bit peed off tbh cost me £40 and hasn't made the slightest bit of difference despite the mechanic saying I needed a new one.

I'll mention the mounts to him next time.

Just been out though, and I sat in the car for a bit turning the wheel..stationary it seems to make a similar but less noticeable noise. Although when on the move and turning there's no noise at all! :huh:

Any thoughts?

Yup lowered on TTE springs, but I've had them fitted for almost a year now. And as you guys said it's a bit of a coincidence it's happened after having the recent mods fitted..atm it's looking like an engine mount or maybe tranny mount?

I to think i have the same problem, i can sometimes hear it and it feels to me like a transmission mount.....its only happening to me clutch related.......i dont get it when going over speed bumps or anything.

I have the same thing coming from the back of my car and it is very loud been there for awhile now though and keep meaning to pop it into a garage oops!

I to think i have the same problem, i can sometimes hear it and it feels to me like a transmission mount.....its only happening to me clutch related.......i dont get it when going over speed bumps or anything.

Strange..how long has yours been clunking? Be a coincidence if it was after you had your clutch/flywheel and engine mounts installed too! :lol:

I still need to fit my engine mounts dude so i can cancel that one out. everyones saying im paranoid but im sure im not.

I have been advised i need a new master cylinder though. However my symptoms are weird......

My first gear is feels a bit notchy when i want to get into gear....say for example im coming to a stop i put my foot down on the clutch stop and go into 1st its perfect.

However if i take my foot off the clutch and put the car back into neutral then go into first again the gear is notchy.........

The clunking sound is sometimes when im letting off the clutch and going into the next gear, mainly 1st to second....All the other gears feel fine, only first is a cow.

also i have never had any rough shifts in first or hard launches.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links