Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

White Smoke And Not Sure What The Cause Is

halfpint

Hi I have a Celica GT-R ST182

There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust I have had a compression test and that was fine I have also put new plugs in the car. The mechanic said the headgasket is fine as are the valves He also said there is no crack or leak in the head and the rings seem fine . But we can not figure out what is causing the white smoke. He has suggested that the car might be running to rich

Any body had this problem or have an idea on what else to check or what the problem is

Thanks

There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust I have had a compression test and that was fine I have also put new plugs in the car. The mechanic said the headgasket is fine as are the valves He also said there is no crack or leak in the head and the rings seem fine . But we can not figure out what is causing the white smoke. He has suggested that the car might be running to rich

Any body had this problem or have an idea on what else to check or what the problem is

Thanks

If an engine is running too rich smoke from the exhaust will be black NOT white.:)

It's not unusual for an engine to produce water vapour (white steam) from the exhaust especially in cold weather due to the combustion cycle of the engine. The only other source of water can be the engine coolant system and that would cause the coolant level to drop so I suggest you keep a close eye on it - better safe than sorry.:)

Does it consumes oil? If so, we have the same problem and we think the problem might be

the blow off valve...

Best,

Hi thanks No it doesent consume oil. This is a non turbo celica so i dont think it has blow off valve as I thought blow off valves were only on turbo's

thanks for your reply

Thanks

If an engine is running too rich smoke from the exhaust will be black NOT white.:)

It's not unusual for an engine to produce water vapour (white steam) from the exhaust especially in cold weather due to the combustion cycle of the engine. The only other source of water can be the engine coolant system and that would cause the coolant level to drop so I suggest you keep a close eye on it - better safe than sorry.:)

Hi thanks

I had to have the core plug replaced as it was rusted at first I thought it was just steam but its def not and the coolant level is fine The trouble is, it is due for an mot and If I cant find out what the problem is it is going to fail with the smoke. The mechanic is pretty baffled and cant work out whats causing it either

Thanks for your reply

Thanks

Hi thanks

I had to have the core plug replaced as it was rusted at first I thought it was just steam but its def not and the coolant level is fine The trouble is, it is due for an mot and If I cant find out what the problem is it is going to fail with the smoke. The mechanic is pretty baffled and cant work out whats causing it either

Thanks for your reply

Also the engine runs sweet with no knocks and it also does not overheat ..Oh how I love to hate my Celica ..lol

Only an emiisions test may reveal what the smoke may be. Also a chemical test of the coolant may also reveal if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant system.:)

Only an emiisions test may reveal what the smoke may be. Also a chemical test of the coolant may also reveal if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant system.:)

Ok thanks will do that and see if I can find out what the problem is and will post it on here for future reference to other GT-R owners :)

I heard somewhere that running too lean may produce grey smoke. Are you sure about the colour? Could also be a problem with the cat.

I heard somewhere that running too lean may produce grey smoke. Are you sure about the colour? Could also be a problem with the cat.

Hi thanks for your reply .The mechanic suggested this to but im not sure this model has a cat as its a 1990 jap import. He had a quick look under the car today and wasent sure if it was a cat or a box on the exhaust. He is going to have a proper look at the underneath of the car tommorrow. He also said that I could have damged the cat(if there is one on it) with the smoke

Thanks

No No.......................You have all got it wrong!

(see below for definative answer)

They have elected a new Pope! B) :P ;) :lol: ........................(sorry could not resist adding a little light humour :) )

Thanks

No No.......................You have all got it wrong!

(see below for definative answer)

:D We all like a bit of humour

They have elected a new Pope! B) :P ;) :lol: ........................(sorry could not resist adding a little light humour :) )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links