Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St185 Loosing Power From The Rear

OZZY_C

Hi guys hope you are all well, just wondering if you have any ideas what i can do. below is my problem.

i was loosing so much power when trying to pull away i though it was the clutch so i fitted a brand new one and still had the same problem i took it a back street garig and they told me Rear Axle beam has excessive vertical movement between stub axle and axle beam but they do not know how to fix it?

the car is losing so much power it is hardly moving. the engine is fine runs really smooth with no smoke. would the loss of power be from what they are saying it is and if so how do i fix it??

any help would be much appreciated.

Ozzy

Hi guys hope you are all well, just wondering if you have any ideas what i can do. below is my problem.

i was loosing so much power when trying to pull away i though it was the clutch so i fitted a brand new one and still had the same problem i took it a back street garig and they told me Rear Axle beam has excessive vertical movement between stub axle and axle beam but they do not know how to fix it?

the car is losing so much power it is hardly moving. the engine is fine runs really smooth with no smoke. would the loss of power be from what they are saying it is and if so how do i fix it??

any help would be much appreciated.

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy. Cant see what the rear axle beam and associated bits has to do with losing power. I think that may be an entirely separate issue. You really need to check engine power somehow. Check basic things like vacuum hoses. Is the turbo working? Is the actuator for the turbo working?

Turbo charged motors are relatively gutless without a working turbo. Low compression etc. That's my first thoughts. Also has any work been done that may have affected the engine timing?

Moving away from the engine. Brakes? are they binding? If the car's been laid up for a while it may be worth jacking each wheel and checking.

As I said, check out all th ebasics first and let us know how you get on.

Dak. :)

Hi Dak,

thank you for your mail, the only work that was carried out at the front end was we changed the clutch we had a problem with the passengers drive shaft and it got damaged so i had to buy another and fitted that? as the the engine it revs like usual (very well). as for the turbo im not sure how i would check that but when we was changing the clutch i looked inside it (the turbo) and the inside of it were the fan thing is looked abit damaged some of the fan bits were broke. (could that be the problem) the thing is the engine runs very well its just the car does not want to move? i can basically put it into first and take my foot of the clutch and the car will not move until i go to like 4000 revs?? it doesnt sound like the engine is struggerling to pull away it just seems the power is getting lost? the brakes and stuff are fine because i pushed the car and it was easy and light to push so i dont think thats the problem mate.

surly if it was the turbo the car would still pull away right because we still have a 2ltr engine without it or does it not work like that?

the only other thing i can think of is when the car was running fine just say i was going along in 3rd and wanted to slow down and drop to second as i done the gear change there would be a glonk sound come from the back? but i think thats because of the rear axle beam thing the mechanic told me.

let me know what you think?

that just sounds like the rear diff mount is worn, that is nothing to do with your power loss, i'd find yourself another garage as they clearly don't know enough about the car and will cost you a fortune in the long run as they learn about it.

when was the last time your car was serviced? plugs, leads, dizzy cap and arm, timing belt?

does it sound like your car is misfiring or just struggling?

check for error codes, a link on how to is in my sig

Hi mate, thank you for you mail. the car is on my mums drive at the moment and has not road tax or MOT so it would be hard to find a garig without knowing what the problem is.

i changed the plugs and leads about a month before the car started going wrong.

the car doesnt sound like it is misfiring and it doesnt struggle to pull away asif sumfing is holding it back it just seems like the power is getting lost sumwere?

i have a dump valve and when i try and pull away it seems like the presure in the turbo does not build up because the gauge stays down and when i change to second the valve dont make that pusht noise? i i would imagion thats because the car is not building up the presure for the turbo to kick in?

What dump valve is it, 185's don't really like aftermarket ones unless they are twin piston.

What dump valve is it, 185's don't really like aftermarket ones unless they are twin piston.

hi paul, its a baileys dump valve and it was on the car when i first got it and it was fine then?

hi paul, its a baileys dump valve and it was on the car when i first got it and it was fine then?

does anyone have any other ideas what it could be?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links