Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Malfunction Light & Power Loss

PRM

Hello,

I recently bought a RAV4 2005 2.0 4D4 model with 17000 miles on the clock, after 2 days the engine malfunction light came on and the power significantly dropped. The car would not go above ~60mph, however, when driving along motorway would occasionally pick up and accelerate up to ~80mph, then die off again. The manual suggests that it could be a problem with overpressure in the Turbo?

The other issue I noticed was it was hard to start on a cold morning -2degC I would not imagine that a modern diesel car should suffer at these temperatures.

Is it possible that these problems are connected?

I have given the car back to the dealer as it is covered by the warranty but I want to make sure the correct fix is done.

He will now run the diagnostics, to determine the problem but any advice anyone has would be appreciated so I can be as informed as possible.

Many thanks

Paul

Welcome to the club Paul.

The diagnostic check should point you in the general direction but these snags tend to be either suction control valves, vacuum sensing valve or turbo related.

See what codes you get and report back.

Regards

Hello,

I recently bought a RAV4 2005 2.0 4D4 model with 17000 miles on the clock, after 2 days the engine malfunction light came on and the power significantly dropped. The car would not go above ~60mph, however, when driving along motorway would occasionally pick up and accelerate up to ~80mph, then die off again. The manual suggests that it could be a problem with overpressure in the Turbo?

The other issue I noticed was it was hard to start on a cold morning -2degC I would not imagine that a modern diesel car should suffer at these temperatures.

Is it possible that these problems are connected?

I have given the car back to the dealer as it is covered by the warranty but I want to make sure the correct fix is done.

He will now run the diagnostics, to determine the problem but any advice anyone has would be appreciated so I can be as informed as possible.

Many thanks

Paul

hi Paul

Welcome aboard

i am inclined to be agred with Anchorman + note the below:

in order to send our tips or suggestions it is required definite code -- as far as you understand both code and turbo overpressure are only result and we have to disclose a real problem -- what it has happened. My opinion is that you might have the following:

- SCVs playing (either due to el signal repeatedly fault or solenonind/s is/are about to be burnt out);

- one/two injectors issue (they either inject or pour diesel or even the fuel valve needle might be blocked pereodically);

- flexibility of tubocharger vanes drive.

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links