Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Estate 2003-2009 Model - Roof Bars?

jimbobsteele

Hi there

My 2003-2009 Avensis Estate D4D has the pre-fitted bars along the length of the roof. I've always assumed these were for decoration purposes!

But now, I've decided that taking my bike to pieces every time I want to take it somewhere is a pain in the backside. (It won't fit in the boot with the dog, the kids bikes, etc.)

The Toyota dealer has various parts to allow bikes to be mounted on the roof, using the bars as the starting point. They provide two cross bars, then then a bike carrier that fits on those cross bars.

Is there a better/cheaper way? Are there Thule cross bars that will fit the existing roof bars?

Any ideas?

Thanks - Jimbob

Hi there

I also have a 2006 Avensis tourer i do a lot of camping so bought the estate for more space previously had a 1998 hatch back which i bought roof bars for with a Thule foot pack then added a roof box so now i have the newer estate wanted to fit the box on that

Thule make a system for pre installed rails that i have just bought the number is 775 rapid system and costs about £59 inc del you will also need the bars there are two types available square or oval. i have the square (cheaper)got the 775 kit from cheaperonline.co.uk they also do the bars you can then fit a bike carrying system to fit the bars.

Hope this is of some use

According to the Thule website you need 761 bars (square) or 861 (aero) to go along with the 775 footpack.

Plenty of all of these on eBay.

Is there a better/cheaper way? Are there Thule cross bars that will fit the existing roof bars?

Any ideas?

Thanks - Jimbob

Jimbob Get some Thule bars you can check on thules website or the Halfords website which ones you need. BUt what people have already said sound familar to what I have for mine. Then If you are going to use it a lot get one of the Thule roof mounted bike holders, if not a lot then something like the halford own brand is ok.

But for the Bars themselves go Thule, its expensive but they last and they are built exceptionally well and if you are numpty and loose a bit its dead easy to get hold of spare (I know recently had to get a handle for mine). The thule bike holder is awesome but again expensive as compared to some others, but if everything is fitted properly it is good for upto atleast 130mph (on the german autbahns) and again worth it imo.

The Thule bars are also interchangeable so if you change the car in the future then you may only have to change the feet to get them on another car.

the other option is to get a tow bar mounted bike holder.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links