Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Ligth For Oil

SF695

A couple of times these last days, i noticed the oil warning light came on. Both times only for a second or less and both times accelerating hard up hill.

Changed the oil recently, like 3000 km ago and the level is within the normal range

Now i know some of you are gonna say this is normal when accelerating, but i don't remember it happened on my car before and hard accelerations up hill are not excactly unknown to it.

Could it be that the oilpump has served it's time?

A couple of times these last days, i noticed the oil warning light came on. Both times only for a second or less and both times accelerating hard up hill.

Changed the oil recently, like 3000 km ago and the level is within the normal range

Now i know some of you are gonna say this is normal when accelerating, but i don't remember it happened on my car before and hard accelerations up hill are not excactly unknown to it.

Could be a dicky oil pressure switch or possibly the wire rubbed through and momentarily making contact with earth. Certainly not normal when accelerating.

Could be.

Forgot to mention, the car has 140.000 km on the clock.

Also, to be more accurate, it happened just as i released the trothle to shift. Then i tried again, from standstill to floor it until the readline up trough 2. and 3. gear and no light came on

hi mate

oil warning has two signals: oil level and oil pressure ---- which one you are rerefing to?

by the way -- diesel or petrol ?

Cheers/Igor

hi mate

oil warning has two signals: oil level and oil pressure ---- which one you are rerefing to?

by the way -- diesel or petrol ?

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

Actually i'm not completely sure, since it was on for such a short time, that i couldn't determine which light it was. I was driving and looking at the road when i noticed a read blink down in the left corner of the dashboard. However i checked the oil level and it was fine, so i assume it was for the pressure.

The car has a 3S-FE petrol engine.

Hi Igor

Actually i'm not completely sure, since it was on for such a short time, that i couldn't determine which light it was. I was driving and looking at the road when i noticed a read blink down in the left corner of the dashboard. However i checked the oil level and it was fine, so i assume it was for the pressure.

as was said by O.S. the pressure sensor might to play with you due to either losen contact or dirty contact;

i presume the oil level was in limits. + you ve changed oil filter before.

try to insppect this sensor fiirst and come back

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

as was said by O.S. the pressure sensor might to play with you due to either losen contact or dirty contact;

Cheers/Igor

So, you think it's more likely to be the sensor, rather than the oil pump? Yes, level was within the limits and oil and filter was changed 3000 km ago.

Could you give me an idea where this sensor is located?

Hi Igor

Cheers/Igor

So, you think it's more likely to be the sensor, rather than the oil pump? Yes, level was within the limits and oil and filter was changed 3000 km ago.

do not be hurry with pump verdict - cos there are some other resons leading to the same oil alert.

as to positionning of this sensor -- i deem it must be on the cyl block side and screwed in the oil main.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

Cheers/Igor

do not be hurry with pump verdict - cos there are some other resons leading to the same oil alert.

as to positionning of this sensor -- i deem it must be on the cyl block side and screwed in the oil main.

cheers/Igor

Just worried about the pump, because i wouldn't want to wreck an otherwise fine engine because of oil starvation due to a faulty pump. I'll try and have a look at the sensor although i'm not good at working on cars myself.

Hi,

I would start with testing the oil pressure mechanically, just to be sure that I wouldn't wreck my engine.

Simply take out the oil pressure sensor, screw in a mechanical gauge in its place and start the engine.

Any good garage will have such a gauge.

If the pressure is OK, check the wiring and have the sensor tested/replaced.

If the pressure is not OK, then your warning light was right and you did a good and timely observation. :thumbsup:

In that case it could be the oil pump, a clogged oil pump inlet grid inside the oil pan, or bearings starting to fail.

Not to frighten you off, but all of these are dirty and/or expensive jobs.

Yeah. Well, i know a good mechanic that charges reasonable for working hours. Need to do some rustprevention anyway as well as having the ingnitioncables changed. So maybe i could get it all done in one.

How long do these pumps last on average?

Hi,

That depends a bit on what happened with the engine during its service history.

If, for instance, the engine suffered a head gasket failure in the past and cooling fluid has been mixed with oil in the sump, sludge may have been formed down there.

In principle, the oil pump is at the best possible spot for lubrication of all engine components, down in the sump, and if the oil has been changed according to the maintenance schedules and has been checked regularly in between, it will last a life time.

Have the real oil pressure checked first, to eliminate internal engine damage, and continue from there.

Hi,

That depends a bit on what happened with the engine during its service history.

If, for instance, the engine suffered a head gasket failure in the past and cooling fluid has been mixed with oil in the sump, sludge may have been formed down there.

In principle, the oil pump is at the best possible spot for lubrication of all engine components, down in the sump, and if the oil has been changed according to the maintenance schedules and has been checked regularly in between, it will last a life time.

Have the real oil pressure checked first, to eliminate internal engine damage, and continue from there.

No headgasket failure. Oilchanges have been regular. Not always within 5.000 km, but regularely. These engines are known to last 400.000 km, without any major problems and mine has been pretty troublefree, except for a stuck IAC valve. The only issue that could have created a problem is that i didn't use the car for almost a year, which is why the IAC valve got stucked. Have been driving it regularely for the last 2 years though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links