Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another One With Mobile Phone Problem

Jolly English Gentleman

I have searched through the forums on this, and know that others have had some problems with getting their phone to connect up, but I see that there are those with the same type of phone as I have who have had no problems.

So here goes with my problem. I have a second gen Prius which will allow me to Register the phone (setting the Handsfree option on the phone itself)This results in a connection. However when I have done this, whilst the car recognises that there is a phone attached it on the main telephone screen it does not show on the screen of Registered phones. All the icons are greyed out. The handset automatically changes to the "In car" profile.

I have though proven that I can make calls on handsfree. The problem seems to be when I switch off the car, as the next time I have to go through the sequence again. The car seems unable to establish a connection. I have to go through the steps of registering the phone again. Is this normal or should the phone stay within the system when the power is switched off and then when it is switched on again the car automatically looks for it and links it up. My impression is that it is the latter from the handbook so there must be something I am not doing right. I don't have the phone plugged into anything? Should I?

What are the idiot proof steps for both the car and handset please? The instructions for the handset seem to assume that you are using a Sony Ericcson earpiece and mike. Something that is not required in a Prius, whilst the Prius instructions in many cases refer to the handset instructions which is fair enough.

The second thing I cannot fathom is how to transfer No's from the phone. When I try it, it just says that it cannot find a bluetooth connected. I don't have many numbers stored on my phone so it is not that much of a concern, but it would be nice to do it this way, rather than manually add each number to the car phone book. Finally, I would like to set up speed dial numbers. I cannot see that there is a way of allocating a speed dial number on the individual phone number, yet obviously speed dial is available. At the moment I can only make voice activated calls, which is OK, but a bit long winded to do, as the voice recognition seems unable to recognise something as simple as "home" or "work".

Again any idiot proof steps please?

I have searched through the forums on this, and know that others have had some problems with getting their phone to connect up, but I see that there are those with the same type of phone as I have who have had no problems.

So here goes with my problem. I have a second gen Prius which will allow me to Register the phone (setting the Handsfree option on the phone itself)This results in a connection. However when I have done this, whilst the car recognises that there is a phone attached it on the main telephone screen it does not show on the screen of Registered phones. All the icons are greyed out. The handset automatically changes to the "In car" profile.

I have though proven that I can make calls on handsfree. The problem seems to be when I switch off the car, as the next time I have to go through the sequence again. The car seems unable to establish a connection. I have to go through the steps of registering the phone again. Is this normal or should the phone stay within the system when the power is switched off and then when it is switched on again the car automatically looks for it and links it up. My impression is that it is the latter from the handbook so there must be something I am not doing right. I don't have the phone plugged into anything? Should I?

What are the idiot proof steps for both the car and handset please? The instructions for the handset seem to assume that you are using a Sony Ericcson earpiece and mike. Something that is not required in a Prius, whilst the Prius instructions in many cases refer to the handset instructions which is fair enough.

The second thing I cannot fathom is how to transfer No's from the phone. When I try it, it just says that it cannot find a bluetooth connected. I don't have many numbers stored on my phone so it is not that much of a concern, but it would be nice to do it this way, rather than manually add each number to the car phone book. Finally, I would like to set up speed dial numbers. I cannot see that there is a way of allocating a speed dial number on the individual phone number, yet obviously speed dial is available. At the moment I can only make voice activated calls, which is OK, but a bit long winded to do, as the voice recognition seems unable to recognise something as simple as "home" or "work".

I doubt I can be of much help to you. I guess the issues that you are raising depend upon specific equipment characteristics and mine are different from yours. The only reason I am replying is to comment on what happens when my kit works properly and to suggest that it could be worthwhile talking to the dealer.

I have synchronised two 'phones to my GenIII T-Spirit; both by HTC, one a TyTNII and the other, more recently, an HD2. Neither presented any kind of problem. I followed the instructions on the screens, (car and 'phone), put in the security code and away they went, including the automatic downloading of all my contacts from the 'phone to the car.

When I get into the car with the 'phone in my pocket and press the power button, the second item that comes up on the display is a message saying "bluetooth connection successful" and that is it.

For short journeys I don't take the 'phone from my pocket. For longer journeys, I put the 'phone in the box under the centre arm rest and connect it to the power via USB so that it charges. Either way, the 'phone works perfectly.

My last car was a Lexus IS250 SEL with MM and I had a lot of trouble getting 'phones to connect, but the staff at the dealers showroom seemed to have seen every kind of 'phone device and appeared to have a whole range of protocols for getting different 'phones connected. I copied down the routine for my 'phone and had no further trouble in getting it to install.

My advice therefore is to go back to the dealer and ask them to install the 'phone; get them to do it slowly enough for you to make a note of what they do.

The only other thing I can suggest is to visit Priuschat, where there is a lot more Prius owners than we have here.

Good luck.

I had just the same problem with my second generation Prius and a Motorola phone. It was cured when I switched to a Sony Ericsson.

Pkram

I had lots of trouble with a Samsung phone it would not register on the Prius. The dealer was helpful but suggested Nokia or Sony Ericsson. I got a Sony Ericsson and it registered just fine. I never did get it to transfer the phone numbers. Your dealer can help and our local never charged me for the help. Hope you get it sorted.

I'll ask the local dealer for ideas. I didn't buy the car from them, but they have benefited with an order for carpet mats and will be getting an order for a wheel cap and some touch up paint to address some stone chips. Not quite the same as a car, but they could not find me the model I wanted at the right price.

I'll ask the local dealer for ideas. I didn't buy the car from them, but they have benefited with an order for carpet mats and will be getting an order for a wheel cap and some touch up paint to address some stone chips. Not quite the same as a car, but they could not find me the model I wanted at the right price.

Do please post if you get any "idiot proof steps" - I'm on day 2 of my Gen III ownership and I thought of committing violence with the bluetooth set up this afternoon. My Gen II Prius was straightforward. Gen III - I got my BlackBerry to connect no problem, can't get my new-ish Nokia to connect for love nor money.

I'm also having trouble getting any "bluetooth Audio" connection to my iPod Touch - it says it can see the car's system, car refuses to recognise it. Seems like I may have a snooty car.

Denise

Asked local dealer today and they suggested that I book it in for their technicians to look at it, after telling them that I have to register the phone every single time I want to connect it. mmmmmmm. I think I'll try another phone to rule the possibility that my Sony Ericcson being faulty first, and then read the small print in my RAC backed warrenty, as it is not an issue that prevents the car from working.

However as you have a Prius III everything will still be covered by the manufacturers warrenty, you are in a stronger position to get it checked out without risking a Bill, expecially if your Nokia was recognised by your Gen II.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links