Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - Difficulty Changing Gears

Runner1875

Hi, Newbie first post.

I have an Avensis T180, and while the gearchange has always been a bit notchy, it has become steadily worse over the last couple of months to the point that it’s extremely heavy and notchy between 1st and 2nd (you can feel the gears crunching) but is slightly better changing between other gears. Seems to be worse when cold, but is still there to a lesser extent when the engine is warm.

Asked my local garage to look at it during its last service and they reckoned the clutch master cylinder was on its way out, but wouldn’t look at it under warranty as the car was 4 months over 3yrs old (and has done less than 30,000 miles...). Looking at this website and other sources on the net it does seem there was an issue with the clutch master cylinder so I replaced it this weekend with a genuine Toyota part sourced from the local dealer. No change, still difficult to change gear. Also tried a washer in between the clutch release cylinder rod and the clutch release fork thinking maybe the clutch wasn’t fully dis-engaging, again no change.

Starting to think it is the gearbox now, although the gears select ok (if a bit notchy) when the engine's not running. Will try an oil change, but not sure what to try after that.

Is this a known problem on the T180, or does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

Just search this forum on Avensis Gearchange Linkage - its a common problem

Hi, Newbie first post.

I have an Avensis T180, and while the gearchange has always been a bit notchy, it has become steadily worse over the last couple of months to the point that its extremely heavy and notchy between 1st and 2nd (you can feel the gears crunching) but is slightly better changing between other gears. Seems to be worse when cold, but is still there to a lesser extent when the engine is warm.

Asked my local garage to look at it during its last service and they reckoned the clutch master cylinder was on its way out, but wouldnt look at it under warranty as the car was 4 months over 3yrs old (and has done less than 30,000 miles...). Looking at this website and other sources on the net it does seem there was an issue with the clutch master cylinder so I replaced it this weekend with a genuine Toyota part sourced from the local dealer. No change, still difficult to change gear. Also tried a washer in between the clutch release cylinder rod and the clutch release fork thinking maybe the clutch wasnt fully dis-engaging, again no change.

Starting to think it is the gearbox now, although the gears select ok (if a bit notchy) when the engine's not running. Will try an oil change, but not sure what to try after that.

Is this a known problem on the T180, or does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

The washer wouldn't make much difference as the clutch is hydrostatic (self adjusting) and would simply adjust to the extra pushrod length. Have you checked out the slave cylinder? might be worth stripping the slave and inspecting the bore.

Cheers for the replies guys. Fair point about the self adjusting clutch, looks like there may be a repair kit for the slave cylinder so I can try that. Next steps would be changing the gearbox oil and adjusting the gear linkage cables I guess.

Owners manual reckons to use Toyota LV API GL-4 SAE 75W, anyone have any experience whether this is best or try a branded make?

Also anyone got the specs / method for Avensis T180 gearlinkage cable adjustment?

Cheers

Hi there...My sympathy goes out to you...these avensis are a nightmare for many reasons i have now learnt! My partner always says they should have name it Aven**** instead of Avensis lol!!! I have the same problem more or less with my 2001 1.8vvti Aven****...I changed the gearbox oil a month after i bought the car (3 months ago)because the gears were soooo stiff...much worser in that snowy weather...And it did make a slight difference. Only i find it harder to select 4th gear mainly...also i find it makes a BIGGG difference in how you hold the gear stick...ie...if i hold the gear stick with my hand on top its so hard to select gears....but if i put my thumb on top of the gear stick and my other fingers at the bottom it slides much much easier! My partner recons its because i got too used to driving the Nissan Micra we had a few months back! I have been told that my clutch plate is wearing out but its not slipping and that i should get another 10,000 miles out of it...so im hoping i'll be okay for a while. Admit the car has done 86500 miles but i think the entire build quality is crap compared to a 97 Carina cdx i once owned! Thats life. Takecare. Sam

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links