Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis With Lpg

Josh_

Does anyone have any experience of converting an Avensis to LPG? Is it a good idea, and are there any major/common problems? I find the idea of half-price fuel very attractive, but I have seen nearly zero LPG-converted Toyotas for sale. Is that because they're so good that no-one ever sells them, or because it's such a bad idea that no-one does it in the first place?

Does anyone have any experience of converting an Avensis to LPG? Is it a good idea, and are there any major/common problems? I find the idea of half-price fuel very attractive, but I have seen nearly zero LPG-converted Toyotas for sale. Is that because they're so good that no-one ever sells them, or because it's such a bad idea that no-one does it in the first place?

Probably the same as most LPG conversion, expensive to initially install and take up too much space for the extra tank.

Depends on what mileage you do

You have to remmber that LPG has alot of outlay. so if you not doing alot of miles then it may not be worth it.

You have to remmber that LPG has alot of outlay. so if you not doing alot of miles then it may not be worth it.

Er, sorry. Obviously I wasn't clear. I can weigh-up the financial benefits - marginal, probably, but I'd rather pay £1500 now and save money on fuel for the next few years, if for no other reason than I pay enough tax already :) Seriously, though, the financial one is easy: petrol is twice the price of lpg, so once you'd have used twice the value of the conversion in petrol, you've saved the conversion cost.

I was more worried about possible mechanical problems. From what I've read, a good conversion by a competent fitter should be fine, but some engines don't like it full-stop.

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything. Tried again from the main menu and it found some stuff, according to which a few people have tried it.

Er, sorry. Obviously I wasn't clear. I can weigh-up the financial benefits - marginal, probably, but I'd rather pay £1500 now and save money on fuel for the next few years, if for no other reason than I pay enough tax already :) Seriously, though, the financial one is easy: petrol is twice the price of lpg, so once you'd have used twice the value of the conversion in petrol, you've saved the conversion cost.

I was more worried about possible mechanical problems. From what I've read, a good conversion by a competent fitter should be fine, but some engines don't like it full-stop.

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything. Tried again from the main menu and it found some stuff, according to which a few people have tried it.

And I meant that's why there probably isn't many around, the same reason there aren't many LPG cars... Full stop.

Not many people want it.

And I meant that's why there probably isn't many around, the same reason there aren't many LPG cars... Full stop.

Not many people want it.

Oh, I see what you meant now. Well, that's good to hear - probably means there's no big reason not to. Anyone know for sure?

FWIW, I've never quite understood why there aren't more LPG cars about. Tank in the spare wheel well - how often does anyone have a total blowout? - and as long as you do more than 10-15k miles in the car, you're going to be breaking even or in profit. Are there some huge additional servicing costs I'm missing?

Toyota specifically exclude engine warranty on cars fitted with LPG....It's that good for your car...NOT!!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Purely out of interest . Are you saying LPG conversion can knacker your engine ?

If you're interested, have a look at this forum.

http://www.avensis-forum.de/board.php?boardid=952&sid=e3604eb135ec7ac4cc9bb4bc7f156b81

Some have good experiences and others don't.

Seems to be a bit of a gamble.

But if you're unlucky and run into a cylinder head repair, there is no way to ever reach the break even point.

Just my two pannies here, as i fell into the trap ,myself buying a 55 2.0 petrol wanting to convert it to LPG when my job moves a lot further next year. ince 2002 or so the petrol engines are direct petrol injection, which i have been told you cannot convert to LPG due to the injectors overheating due to the lack of fuel going trough and cooling them. So I have given up the idea. Noticed that any trip on motorway I get 40+ anyway, that will do.

rick

Just my two pannies here, as i fell into the trap ,myself buying a 55 2.0 petrol wanting to convert it to LPG when my job moves a lot further next year. ince 2002 or so the petrol engines are direct petrol injection, which i have been told you cannot convert to LPG due to the injectors overheating due to the lack of fuel going trough and cooling them. So I have given up the idea. Noticed that any trip on motorway I get 40+ anyway, that will do.

rick

I'd heard that you couldn't convert direct injection engines, but didn't know why.

Now I do!

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links