Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Fill Up

wizzlon

Onto the forecourt today to brim the tank, having done so a week earlier after buying the car. 270 miles on 5.25 galls- 51.4mpg. I'm happy with that (previous wheels Landrover TD5!!) but have seen others claim 60+. New engine and tyres may reduce mpg a bit? :lol:

Have you bought a brand new Prius or is it a second hand one?

If it's a brand new one, it can take a couple thousand miles for it to run/bed in and return the best economy. To get the really best you might need to adjust your driving style ever so slightly. Feather the accelerator pedal, use the various displays to get the best economy. Try Eco in town and normal on an open road. Make sure the tyre pressures are spot on as that can help too. Don't leave it to warm up from cold. When setting off in a morning from cold, try not to go into the red power band.

I find that being careful how you drive can make a big difference to economy. Give it a go - just don't spend more time looking at displays than the road!! :thumbsup:

Have you bought a brand new Prius or is it a second hand one?

If it's a brand new one, it can take a couple thousand miles for it to run/bed in and return the best economy. To get the really best you might need to adjust your driving style ever so slightly. Feather the accelerator pedal, use the various displays to get the best economy. Try Eco in town and normal on an open road. Make sure the tyre pressures are spot on as that can help too. Don't leave it to warm up from cold. When setting off in a morning from cold, try not to go into the red power band.

I find that being careful how you drive can make a big difference to economy. Give it a go - just don't spend more time looking at displays than the road!! :thumbsup:

could you explain why you say use Eco in town and normal on an open road?

Why not Eco all the time?

Eco mode affects the accelerator mapping and as such you have to press the accelerator further to get the car to go. Eco also seems to hold the car in electric longer and also in petrol below the red power band. The only benefit I've found for eco mode is that in town driving it stops the engine kicking for a second (which it would in 'normal' mode), only to stop again 2 seconds later when slowing for a traffic light or a corner or such like.

Normal mode is great for an A or B road as it offers the right balance of acceleration. I use Power mode for overtaking or pulling onto motorways.

There is no right or wrong way of doing things. It's all down to personal choice. I just find the above works for me and my driving style.

Thanks GC- I will give it a go and see what happens at the 2nd fill up. Given the economy of it that could be a few weeks off!

I've just got back from Exeter to North Kent and as my Prius is still under 1000 miles, I took it easy. The trip details : 209 miles, 61.3 mpg and an average speed 49 mph. I don't expect to match this again on a repeat trip (2 x M3 roadworks and slow traffic on A303) as it was slow !!! but its proof to me that >60 mpg is possible. By the way I got 58.9 mpg on the outgoing trip.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links