Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima Engine Over Heating When I Go Up Hill.

wormburner

Hi all i am looking for a bit of advice i have just bought a toyota 2.2 td estima on a k plate,this is my problem i can drive around locally and the temp needle stays around a quarter to just under half and when it is just ticking over it stays the same, the problem comes when i go up hills on the motorway the temp needle shoots up into the red and as soon as i get over the top of the hill and start to go back down the needle goes back to normal, but while the temp is up in the red it pushes the water out of the over flow pipe leaving it low on water,i have noticed that the water in the bottle is like a coppery orange colour not a rusty orange colour,if anyone might know the prob lem i would be most grateful if you could enlighten me as to is worth sorting it out or have i just bought a junker!!! thanks in advance for any responses.

• 2 weeks later...

hi and welcome to the forum. i think the diesel engine was prone to overheating and bending the cylinder head?

Is the car losing water?

I had a similar problem with the petrol engine and we eventually found a cracked cylinder head. try getting the system pressure tested etc. Also the radiator from memory starts to disintegrate/crumple over time so maybe the flow thru is crap?

hi and welcome to the forum. i think the diesel engine was prone to overheating and bending the cylinder head?

Is the car losing water?

I had a similar problem with the petrol engine and we eventually found a cracked cylinder head. try getting the system pressure tested etc. Also the radiator from memory starts to disintegrate/crumple over time so maybe the flow thru is crap?

hi thanks for the response, if i fill the bottle up to the top for while after when the engine is on it will push water out of the overflow pipe untill it emptys half of the bottle and then it will stay at that level. but i but clean water in and then it turns orange with flecks of little copper pieces in it, i have just done 400 miles in it and it was running fine untill i go up the hills again, so it might be the flow when the engine is working harder, if i take the pipes off the rad and put a hose on the one of them would this flush the rad out or just cause more probs? thanks for your time all the best adam.

You could try flushing out the rad. Or get someone to do it - I think its flushed out better if its reverse flow but not sure (I'm thinking back to the good old days pre ecus!!) I wonder if the water pump is ok? I think you can get stuff to help flush out the water system.

There must be an indication of something with the colour of the water..... anyone else out there???

If you fill the top up bottle, when the engine heats up it will push out water - just fill the bottle up to halfway or to the marked level if you can see it...these things discolour so its difficult to see where the water level is.

You could try flushing out the rad. Or get someone to do it - I think its flushed out better if its reverse flow but not sure (I'm thinking back to the good old days pre ecus!!) I wonder if the water pump is ok? I think you can get stuff to help flush out the water system.

There must be an indication of something with the colour of the water..... anyone else out there???

If you fill the top up bottle, when the engine heats up it will push out water - just fill the bottle up to halfway or to the marked level if you can see it...these things discolour so its difficult to see where the water level is.

yes i think io will have a go in the morning, if that don't work i'll cut my losses and sell it on thanks for all the advice, cheers adam.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links