Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting A Spare Key

jonny__g

Hi

After buying my corolla recently, i've now discovered that i haven't got a full set of keys. I originally thought i did have as i was given 1 black key with remote central locking buttons, and one grey key, which i assumed to be a spare. I now know i should have had 2 black keys (ie 3 altogether).

Do i have to go to toyota to get a new black/master key made or what's the story? i had read somewhere about reprogramming or adding a key with other toyotas, could this be done with my pfl corolla?

cheers

j

Hi

After buying my corolla recently, i've now discovered that i haven't got a full set of keys. I originally thought i did have as i was given 1 black key with remote central locking buttons, and one grey key, which i assumed to be a spare. I now know i should have had 2 black keys (ie 3 altogether).

Do i have to go to toyota to get a new black/master key made or what's the story? i had read somewhere about reprogramming or adding a key with other toyotas, could this be done with my pfl corolla?

cheers

j

Hi

I had the same problem - You can either get a spare from a Toyota dealer which costs £120-£150 or get one from a local key cutting/hardware shop. Got one for £65 - they clone the transponder chip of the original key into a replacement chip and cut a new key blade. Only downside is I don't have remote central locking with the new key so open/lock the doors manually.

whereabouts was it you got the key cut?

I got it in my local town (Derry, N.Ireland) in a hardware store who also cut keys and do the chip cloning.

whereabouts in derry? i'm originally from omagh but am over in england at uni. might be worth getting it done when i go home over the summer

by the way, is the grey valet key supposed to be able to start the car or not? surely if it starts the car it would have to have a transponder chip in it and i assume a copy could be made from it?

The black key is a master key and can be used to program additional keys into the car. The grey key is a valet key; it should start the car but can't be used to program additional keys.

This website tells you how to program an additional master key:

www.carkeyhelp.co.uk

looks great mate. so could anyone confirm that by using the methods mentioned in the website via accelerator brake and door opening/closing i would be able to add a new key? i'm thinking i could buy a key either from toyota or 2nd hand and reprog to my car?

looks great mate. so could anyone confirm that by using the methods mentioned in the website via accelerator brake and door opening/closing i would be able to add a new key? i'm thinking i could buy a key either from toyota or 2nd hand and reprog to my car?

key-cutting place in Derry is McLaughlins, William street.

• 3 years later...

hI I AM JUST NEW TO THE SITE CAN ANYBODY HELP ME AS I NEED A SPARE KEY FOR MY AVENSIS. THANKS :disgust:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links