Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Stearing Help!

pipin

help, anyone with any ideas of what is wrong with my power stearing ,stearing keeps going very stiff, not like the gocart like stearing it has had, had a look under bonnet, removed plastic cover,could hear a whinning noise like a little motor noise on left near power stearing bottle,

The noise you can hear is the power steering pump as it is electrical

First thing would be to check your power steering fluid level but I'm afraid it sounds like the pump is on it's way out :(

If it has packed up then check places that do reconditioned units or try a scrappy (this could be a gamble though), you might find the Mr T price will give you a coronary :eek:

Les

The noise you can hear is the power steering pump as it is electrical

First thing would be to check your power steering fluid level but I'm afraid it sounds like the pump is on it's way out :(

If it has packed up then check places that do reconditioned units or try a scrappy (this could be a gamble though), you might find the Mr T price will give you a coronary :eek:

Les

thanks les for this, am gunna nip around a few garages and hope, drop on a reasonable price.typical if its not one thing its another

help, anyone with any ideas of what is wrong with my power stearing ,stearing keeps going very stiff, not like the gocart like stearing it has had, had a look under bonnet, removed plastic cover,could hear a whinning noise like a little motor noise on left near power stearing bottle,

garage has looked at the steering but cant find any mechanical faults pump ok rack ok after having it for 2 days advised me that it would have to be a mr t job because they need to put on there computer system to read ecu ????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Did you get anything sorted with this problem yet?

hi yeh took it to mr t on monday, they looked at it £70 and told me that the steering rack needs replacing ,and u joint and a new bung?5 hours labour ,total cost £1813 hahaha what a laugh,went to a local garage today they quoted me 120 for part (used)3 months warranty with part,and 140 fitting,mr t also found that my timming chain tensioner seel was leaking oil down side of engine quoted me 73 quid to fix replace seel is this cheep ?

Hi

hi yeh took it to mr t on monday, they looked at it £70 and told me that the steering rack needs replacing ,and u joint and a new bung?5 hours labour ,total cost £1813 hahaha what a laugh,went to a local garage today they quoted me 120 for part (used)3 months warranty with part,and 140 fitting,mr t also found that my timming chain tensioner seel was leaking oil down side of engine quoted me 73 quid to fix replace seel is this cheep ?

Well done on saving money :thumbsup:

I'll try and save you a bit more ;)

During my cars service history with Mr T there seemed to be a regular "Advisory" on my Timing chain tensioner seal (sound familiar :rolleyes: and a water leak from the pump area, both of these were quoted for repair at silly money.

I knew for a fact I wasn't losing oils or water because of my obsession with checking the levels and told them I would keep my eye on things............seven years later I still don't use oil or water and the items mentioned have never been replaced. Don't get me wrong, my Toyota agent did a first class job looking after my car and I can't fault their workmanship but knowing your car is always an advantage.

So......If you check your levels on a regular basis (I do mine at least once a week) and you are not topping up each time, then just leave it as an advisory ;)

Les

Hi

Well done on saving money :thumbsup:

I'll try and save you a bit more ;)

During my cars service history with Mr T there seemed to be a regular "Advisory" on my Timing chain tensioner seal (sound familiar :rolleyes: and a water leak from the pump area, both of these were quoted for repair at silly money.

I knew for a fact I wasn't losing oils or water because of my obsession with checking the levels and told them I would keep my eye on things............seven years later I still don't use oil or water and the items mentioned have never been replaced. Don't get me wrong, my Toyota agent did a first class job looking after my car and I can't fault their workmanship but knowing your car is always an advantage.

So......If you check your levels on a regular basis (I do mine at least once a week) and you are not topping up each time, then just leave it as an advisory ;)

Les

yeh willdo thanks les picked car up from garage today £270 new rack driving nice now, machanic said would replace timming chain and tensioner for 200 quid sounds like a bargain to me, but again thanks for advice

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links