Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To MANN, or not to MANN - That is the Question

Kojac

OEM filters are always the best option.

(It's about Liability shielding. If they get it wrong once, the number of cars they'll have to recall or payout for, will be significant).

However - there has only been one brand that I would consider other than OEM, & that is mann.

The quality is high, the certification is legit & the teardowns on youtube demonstrate, that they are engineered well.

I.e their filters are a reliable choice.

Now - I have a bit of a problem on my hands. For the Air Filter (engine bay) for My 1.8 Auris HSD, mann do not make an equivalent. I am looking for an aftermarket as the toyota one is £30/£40 which is too dear for me, when combining the costs of all the other filters.

Toyota part number: 17801-37021

Experienced members: Other than mann, are there any other brands worthy of our cars. It can't be just Mann. Surely there are one (maybe two) other brands that make decent quality air filters? Which ones would you vouch for, keeping in mind this filter is there to protect the engine, so quality must be high.

• Like 1

It does not really matter which filter do you use. mann is a decent filter similar to Bosch, Blue Print, Champion, Filtron. Mahle is usually the best but not cheap. It is better to replace decent filter every 5-7k miles instead of the best filter every 10k miles. I use BluePrint because they are cheap €2.5 per filter/5-8k miles OCI, no oil consumption at all after 135k miles. 

• Like 2

After a minute of googling your part there’s 2 on  eBay for £12 and £20 the 2nd is Lexus,

or just go to your local parts shop and get a blueprint or Bosch , mahle are good or wix I’d be surprised if there more than £15 I know as I sell all of above 

• Like 2

I have used GUD or Blue Print Air filter with no issues.

I am located in South Africa. 

• Like 1

The last time I serviced my GT86 I put a Puflux air filter in it, it seemed fine.

• Like 1

Same here, I been using OEM or mann oil filters for number of years, happy to spend more for a quality oil filter, as for air filters I've bought decent aftermarket cos like you the OEM too pricey for what they are so had mann, Bosch, Blueprint, Champion, Wix, Crosland air filters in the past.  Never had any issues, but I old school so was changing things like this every year, still do yearly oil + filter changes, but air filters now every 2 years cos not doing the mileage nowadays. 

• Like 2

Air and cabin filters are most forgiving. Pretty much any make and any quality would do it. For these two particular applications I only use Blueprint filters since 2017 because they are the cheapest and also look the best made with great quality of materials, they fit great too. For oil filters I used to do only oem Toyota bought from dealer £10 each but since last year I switched to mann oil filters, used them before and they are good too. Here is your best air filter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173621090119?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CfWbZDI9QQ6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and best cabin option. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174967215003?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CfWbZDI9QQ6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 2

For Air Filter I use either Champions, Blue Print, Mahle, Filtron, Purolator, Wix, or OEM DENSO. They cost about 10-20£. Air filter is one time use, unlike cabin air filter. 

For Cabin air filter, I found Bosch is really good and washable. It is made out of 99% fiber, not paper, just like the Toyota OEM DENSO. I tried Japanparts, they are one time use, cannot be wash because it becomes very flimsy after getting wet. I wash it with laundry detergent, just merge in water gently and all dirt will be gone. The cabin air filter is relatively porous unlike air and oil filters. The charcoal activated filter is one time use and may help if you live in congestion area and often open the vent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Air and cabin filters are most forgiving. Pretty much any make and any quality would do it. For these two particular applications I only use Blueprint filters since 2017 because they are the cheapest and also look the best made with great quality of materials, they fit great too. For oil filters I used to do only oem Toyota bought from dealer £10 each but since last year I switched to Mann oil filters, used them before and they are good too. Here is your best air filter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173621090119?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CfWbZDI9QQ6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and best cabin option. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174967215003?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CfWbZDI9QQ6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I think blueprint cabin filter is better than the Toyota denso one as it’s a bit thicker 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

I think blueprint cabin filter is better than the Toyota denso one as it’s a bit thicker 

The paper in Denso filter is really dense. You can see it through the bright lights compared to BluePrint or Bosch air filter.  I think they are all decent. Usually Mahle, Champions/Wix, and Purolators made higher grade than average.  Air filter is 4 years interval, and cabin 1 year unless we live in dusty zone. West Europe is pretty humid and after 2 years, we often have some mold growth in cabin air filter.

• Like 2

I definitely get more fumes into cabin with denso standard than I do with blueprint standard none cabon cabin filter . I know they both do carbon versions but I struggle to close the filter do with those 

• Like 2

I also noticed that blueprint air and cabin filters are better than Toyota oem ones and as good or even better than knecht/ Mahle 

Here there are. Difference between new cabin filter and 10k miles and 30k miles on air filter. 

4060CAE5-3EC7-4461-B2A0-E2AE17AD7BBE.jpeg

52C5A334-93D5-4AF6-A541-FBAEB468FE3A.jpeg

2247F7A2-6855-4F94-97FB-C2571CD0F575.jpeg

8F6DB31D-BCC0-45B1-B3E4-84E49F2478F5.jpeg

32ED0E73-A3A9-47F3-A4F7-246832E9E687.jpeg

7D30793D-19DA-4760-8074-D9705320DDD6.jpeg

5175D3A5-C810-42DB-86F8-9196B04C55B0.jpeg

• Like 4

I consider mann filters to be of very decent quality.  I've fitted a few to a variety of cars - all good, except for one for our 2001 Corolla 1.4 vvti.

On that car the recommended filter (this one's a spin on) only screwed on just slightly more than one turn before it was tight.  I removed it, rescrewed it, checked it, etc. etc. 

The stamped end plate on the filter, with the large threaded hole (and plenty of smaller holes surrounding it), was completely flat, when usually for this car they are bowed outwards.  This increased the distance from the gasket face to the beginning of the steel thread, reducing the effective thread depth.

I rang mann technical in the UK, to make them aware of this, expecting some vague interest in the details, but they really weren't bothered at all, and didn't offer advice or any comment.

I use Bosch ones for that car now, they are a fair bit cheaper (and a third the price of the Toyota ones) fit perfectly, but they always look rushed on their machined threads, a quick wipe with a clean paper towel on the bare steel portion will leave a visible grey, metallic residue on it.  Perhaps that is normal/nothing worthy of note.  This model is made in South Africa.

I appreciate that this isn't the same fitment as for an Auris hybrid!

• Like 3

Also, do not miss the brand "Hengst".

I ignored it for a while, however after opening an air filter box, they seem to be very well made.

• Like 2

I never put anything else than Bosch or mann filter in the cars, and, quality is definitely not the same as blueprint or Champions.

It's pretty funny then someone is cheap to buy a filter for 5e filter rather than premium quality for 8e...it's negligible saving considering how important those filters are, the oil filter is pretty important, and the cabin filter, it's filtering the air you bread, don't you think it's important?
I rather put quality filters in my car and cut some expensive elsewhere, maybe cut some unimportant trips (save fuel) or something.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, the tanks on these vehicles are small but the range it’s not that bad. Most important is the mpg figures which are impressive 👍 Nice to see petrol prices going down. Last fill up in the morning of last year Tesco E5 for £1.46 , I was pleasantly surprised 👍

I honestly think blueprint are better than Bosch in terms of air and pollen filter can’t comment on oil filter .
I’m not a massive fan of Bosch wipers either . I’ve not had much to do with mann filters to be fair . 

I’ve a lot of customers that will only buy of me Bosch parts which is fine but I must admit a lot of our garages much prefer blueprint or wix . 

• Like 3

Hengst filters are of good quality. Bosch parts are hit and missed these days but they aren’t bad at all. Wipers for our cars the best are the oem denso, not only for cleaning properties, longevity but also for aerodynamic purposes too. On many Toyota cars the wipers are exposed to the wind stream directly over bonnet and Amy other design other than oem hybrid wipers made by denso increase wind noise at speeds over 60mph. I found through the years good quality wipers to be Denso, Michelin, Bosch, Hella. Blueprint air and cabin filters I agree, probably the best available, even better than Toyota own ones. 👍 Oil filter to me number one Toyota, then mann and the rest. For sone reason looking into blueprint oil filters does not inspire confidence to me and I never bought one so I can’t comment on these. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Oil filter to me number one Toyota, then Mann and the rest. For sone reason looking into blueprint oil filters does not inspire confidence to me and I never bought one so I can’t comment on these. 

I agree. I always use Toyota oil filters. It just doesn't make any sense buying aftermarket oil filters, considering how cheap they are. And the Toyota ones are really well made. Just the feel of their weight in your hand, you know they're better made.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jcps001 said:

I agree. I always use Toyota oil filters. It just doesn't make any sense buying aftermarket oil filters, considering how cheap they are. And the Toyota ones are really well made. Just the feel of their weight in your hand, you know they're better made.

You’ve convinced me next time I pass local dealer I’ll pick one up 

• Like 4

Yeah, they're even pretty reasonably priced so may as well use them as you know they'll be good quality. The only tricky bit is avoiding counterfeit ones, but if you get them from the dealer then even that shouldn't be a problem. If you get on well with the parts people they might even throw in a discount just for the asking!

If you live near the Lindop Toyota dealers, might even be able to drop in and see our own Parts-King! If you bring him a nice pie I'm sure he'd give you a discount :naughty: 

My alt. dealer had a service kit bundle which included air filter, oil filter, sump plug crush washer and you got 5L of 5w30 free! (0w20 was a bit extra. I haven't even asked what 0w8 would be :eek: )

• Like 3

For engine oil it's always original for me when I change oil and filter. It could even be something as simple as a bigger filtering medium surface area compared to aftermarket. However, Toyota will not manufacture their filters and one of the good quality aftermarket examples might well be from the same manufacturer?

The last service a Purolator filter was installed by the garage.

"In 1923, Ernest Sweetland and George H. Greenhalgh patented the first automotive oil filtration system. They called their invention “Purolator”, short for the words “pure oil later”, and they began a story of quality and innovation that continues to this day. While the original Purolator filtered oil through twill-weave cloth, in 1946, Purolator introduced a pleated paper oil filter - a technology still being used today."

The above quote stolen from Purolator!

Engine air and pollen, never strayed far from Blueprint.

• 2 months later...

Here some interesting video about oil filter comparison 

And about air filters 

and cabin filters 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it has been discussed previously somewhere on here, but Toyota pollen filters have "UP" with an arrow on them and most others are marked "Air Flow" with an arrow. Make sure the filter is the correct orientation.

I doubt the sky will fall in or your car explode whichever way they are fitted!:unsure:

To avoid mold smell, we should open the vents occasionally during sunny winter day if you have any.  I opened one of the window when the car parked in the garage. It eliminate faul smell from the AC in spring. 

• Like 2

Well I do refresh my car every afternoon for 5-10 min, I do open all doors, check and clean interior carpet mats cleaned, bonnet open and all fluids checked. Then visual exterior inspection plus , brakes , tyres etc. Tyre pressure once a week. With bonnet open check and clean the plastic surrounds near the Wiper Blades it is an important maintenance step, and when washing the car too, dry that area and make sure no dirt or leafs left there. If any gets in and been trapped they will withhold water that will cause bad smell afterwards when using ac or hvac alone since the air intake and water gutter are going through the same duct system. If anything its clean and in order when heavy rain and you are inside the car you should be able the hear the water is running behind the dashboard. Increase volume a bit and you can hear it on my video 👌

image.thumb.jpeg.407654d3d3933c01959cfe438a4a6336.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e342c1728d72959813a9be5308ecc410.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1a9e3e9065a517f917b316caa2e9b7a4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links