Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket

v8mick

Is the Carina prone to headgasket failure? As ive just had to rescue the missus as she (wisely!) stopped when the temp gauge went high. Theres no obvious leak anywhere, and the rad was full when we bought the car 3 weeks ago. My theory is that the headgasket is is leaking water into a chamber somewhere and needs topping up every few hundred miles. The water system doesnt seem to be getting pressurised, theres no white stuff on the dipstick or inside the filler cap, and the engine is really smooth. Just wondering if this warrents one of those wonder cure potions???

There not noted for it. If it needs topping up every few hundred miles then there is a leak somewhere, check the weep hole on the underside of the water pump. When mine did it, it took me ages to find. As for the overheating it may be it just lost too much water. In any event i would get to a garage and have them carry out a compression test just to make sure it's not the HG. Let us know GL :thumbsup:

Could be a number of things and could be a nightmare to figure out. What is certained though, is that if the headgasket hasn't gone, it will go sooner or later if the car keeps overheating.

Just a thought, make sure the tube going into the expansion tank is still there. They seem to have a habit of coming off, and you will find it lurking at the bottom of the tank. If this is the case the expansion tank will look full but no water will be getting back into the radiator. If it has come off secure it with a jubilee clip as it is just a press fit and over time it loses its grip.

Found the problem, leaking water pump, was lucky to spot it before missus set off for work. Is there a thread on here advising how to change pump?

Found the problem, leaking water pump, was lucky to spot it before missus set off for work. Is there a thread on here advising how to change pump?

Went through proceedure for fitting water pump, bit of a pain, put it all back together and guess what, yes, the leak wasnt cured!! And we couldnt see where water was coming from!! So if anyone is having problems losing water ile continue story tonight, cos we managed to suss it.

Went through proceedure for fitting water pump, bit of a pain, put it all back together and guess what, yes, the leak wasnt cured!! And we couldnt see where water was coming from!! So if anyone is having problems losing water ile continue story tonight, cos we managed to suss it.

Hi,

Have you made a compression test yet as was mentioned previous? Just to be sure if it is the headgasket or not. You should do it with the engine at normal operating temperature. It is not that difficult to change the headgasket. I made it last spring.

Are you sure it was not cured with the waterpump. The loss of water after the water pump job might have been an airlock that dissapeared. I had a water leak 2 weeks ago. I found it and fixed it, but after some miles it was no water in the expansiontank. I had too much air in the cooling system. Now when all the air is gone it keeps the level steady at max on the expansion bottle.

Hi,

Have you made a compression test yet as was mentioned previous? Just to be sure if it is the headgasket or not. You should do it with the engine at normal operating temperature. It is not that difficult to change the headgasket. I made it last spring.

Are you sure it was not cured with the waterpump. The loss of water after the water pump job might have been an airlock that dissapeared. I had a water leak 2 weeks ago. I found it and fixed it, but after some miles it was no water in the expansiontank. I had too much air in the cooling system. Now when all the air is gone it keeps the level steady at max on the expansion bottle.

Hi, no, we found the problem after a big strip down...timing belt off! A long story short, it was losing water past the flat! "O" ring that goes from the pump to the block water jacket. Another thing we spotted when we took the pattern pump off again was its slightly different casing thickness. This was allowing the bolts that hold the case together to butt up against the block, stopping the pump being fully squashed together! I must admitt I was ready for calling it a day, but, now its not losing a drop of water. I bet im not the first to be caught out by the "flat" "O"ring menace!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links