Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Servicing Cost On Gen 3

RNS

hello all

after doing alot of thinking and so on....... and talking to my account i am going for a brand new gen 3 :)

u owners out there what are the servicing cost every 10,000 and so on i asked the Toyota dealer and this is the answer i got "same has the rest of the Toyota range" now never owning a Toyota before that answer didn't help me much :( lol

ps any u lot used the reversing camera at night is it usable or shall i still get parking sensors ???

hello all

after doing alot of thinking and so on....... and talking to my account i am going for a brand new gen 3 :)

u owners out there what are the servicing cost every 10,000 and so on i asked the Toyota dealer and this is the answer i got "same has the rest of the Toyota range" now never owning a Toyota before that answer didn't help me much :( lol

ps any u lot used the reversing camera at night is it usable or shall i still get parking sensors ???

Can't remember exactly off the top of my head but I think the first 10k service was £170 and the 20k is about £270 and then 30k about £350 ish? and then repeat?

Personally I will keep mine serviced at Toyota (at least until 100k) as I just don't trust a local back street type garage other than for simple oil n filter changes. I look at it as a small price to pay as the fuel savings more than offset the extra cost of main dealer servicing.

Also, my main dealers have been absolutely fantastic and very helpful. :toast:

I have got a Gen 2, and the servicing costs have never been over £200, and usually much less.

I have 3 services a year and the major and minor do not seem to vary much in cost

Presumably Gen 3 costs would be about the same?

As for the reversing camera, I have never had any problems seeing OK in the dark, and would now never buy another car without a camera!!

My car is coming up to 80000 miles after 2 years, so will be seeing my accountant soon as well about a Gen 3!

Think you made a great choice

Chris Ray has outlined the servicing costs. I strongly recommend you only take the car to a reputable Toyota dealer for servicing. Other garages do not understand the technical side of the Prius, they could wreck the electronics of the car.

Enjoy your Prius. Chris.

I strongly recommend you only take the car to a reputable Toyota dealer for servicing. Other garages do not understand the technical side of the Prius, they could wreck the electronics of the car.

Enjoy your Prius. Chris.

I'd second that... when you look under the bonnet.... litterally, there is so much that's different, to outline a few critical bits:

- Gearbox, completely none standard

- Lots of high voltage electronics, and invertor

- Engine runs a different cycle to almost every other engine.

- Brakes don't engage anywhere like normal brakes

Don't get me wrong, if it's a "lights and levels" service, then provided they source the correct fluids, I doubt there'll be much trouble.... but much more than that, and I think the mechanic would be on very unfamiliar ground, and may well do more damage than good.

I strongly recommend you only take the car to a reputable Toyota dealer for servicing. Other garages do not understand the technical side of the Prius, they could wreck the electronics of the car.

Enjoy your Prius. Chris.

I'd second that... when you look under the bonnet.... litterally, there is so much that's different, to outline a few critical bits:

- Gearbox, completely none standard

- Lots of high voltage electronics, and invertor

- Engine runs a different cycle to almost every other engine.

- Brakes don't engage anywhere like normal brakes

Don't get me wrong, if it's a "lights and levels" service, then provided they source the correct fluids, I doubt there'll be much trouble.... but much more than that, and I think the mechanic would be on very unfamiliar ground, and may well do more damage than good.

And there's always that worry that despite confirming they know how to operate a keyless hybrid car - they probably dont and because the engine isn't running they assume the car is switched off - until they come to empty the engine oil at which point the car detects that the engine has gone cold and so decides to fire it up! :eek:

Couple posts from our American friends on their forum about this when they've taken their car to these "fast lube" oil change chains.

Ditto. I had a brake fluid change at an independant and they ballsed up leaving me without front brake power. Had to get a Toyota dealer to redo/bleed the brake fluids as it must be done with a Toyota computer. Bad bad experience.

Anyhoo I'm due for a minor service meself and I get quotes from £132 to £210! More dear in London. I settled and haggled from £160 to £140. Service cost depend on location and haggling and also buying a service plan.

hello all

I missed this earlier - you've decided to bite the bullet and go for a brand new one? :toast:

You'll love it. Which one you going for? What did your accountant say? Was it the tax benefits that sold it to you in the end? If not, what finally sold it for you to go for a new one? Oh, and how long will you have to wait for it to arrive?

I can only agree with Grumpy Cabbie re the oil change, although as you will see under a previous post of mine, it was a Toyota Dealer where the car was being serviced, that started the engine by mistake for a few seconds during the oil change.............result, all bores scored and a new short engine under warranty!!!

ONLY go to a Toyota dealer, as if they can get it wrong...........enough said!

I would also like to know what your accountant said was the best way of financing the car, as I have my own company and the write down of 100% against corporation tax was an important factor in my deciding to get my Prius, although the very low company car tax and the saving of £400 a month in fuel over my previous car helped!

hey thanks

for all getting back to me it don't seem to cost no more than my skodas

I always had to go back to the dealer with my cars coz of the DSG gearbox alot of place thought that it was a normal auto box until they read about it

another reason why I wanted a change from the skoda. skoda are no longer cheap and cheerful getting more costly than my mates VW to buy and run.

ps anyone read my past posts about my council not lelling put a prius on as a taxi well i been in the paper and so on but still no change in there plans joke aint it :)

Hey RNS

Found the following on the US PriusChat forum. It's a service update from a Canadian Taxi driver who runs a few Prius as cabs. The mileages are quite interesting! Should put your mind at rest. What's the update on collecting your new car?

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/61594-prius-taxi-report-1-year-140-000-km.html

• 4 weeks later...

Have just booked my 10k service. £146 but they are using the proper oil. Will see how much free hot chocolate and coffee I can drink while they do it. :D

I had a call out of the blue today from my dealer (Jemca, Kingston) asking if I wanted 3 years free servicing or extended warranty to 5 years. My Prius is a couple of months old.

Is this choice standard in the UK now? I went for the servicing and they said they'd post vouchers.

s this choice standard in the UK now?

It is with new vehicles until the end of June (I also chose servicing with my new Prius)

Russ

I get my new Gen 3 tomorrow and I was going to go for the servicing as well, but as I have 3 services a year, perhaps not suprisingly Toyota were not prepared to give me 9 services!!

So 5 year warranty for me!

Cannot wait for tomorrow and even better fun and economy than my Gen 2

Chris

I had the same dilemma. I still chose the first three services. 'jam today' instead of a 'maybe' in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

First service done, took an hour and a half (including a full valet). The service manager said the hub caps were missing :) Told him I took them off and he said "they are there to cool down the brakes so I might want to put them back on in the summer"...

Talking of servicing, I'm upto 19k miles now and the 20k big service is due next week. Anyone any idea on costs?

I've been quoted £287.00 which is a little higher than I was offered back in November last year when I enquired then. :blink:

I'm not sure yet. I think it's the works, oil, filter, air & cabin filters and hopefully a lot more to make up the cost!

Anyone out there know?

Talking of servicing, I'm upto 19k miles now and the 20k big service is due next week. Anyone any idea on costs?

I've been quoted £287.00 which is a little higher than I was offered back in November last year when I enquired then. :blink:

I paid £171-48 for the 20,000 service a couple of weeks ago. Includes fully synthetic 0w-20 oil.

I know Harrogate's a bit posh, but £110 extra is silly!

thinking about i am surprise the dealer where i getting my car from aint tried to sell me no service plans or anything like that.

I paid £171-48 for the 20,000 service a couple of weeks ago. Includes fully synthetic 0w-20 oil.

I know Harrogate's a bit posh, but £110 extra is silly!

How much did you pay for the 10k mile service?

How much did you pay for the 10k mile service?

10,000 was £128.47. However, that was with the wrong oil (which they later replaced) so probably should be £15-£20 more.

Also the 10,000 service was in Cambridge, while the 20,000 was in Norwich.

Just to confuse things even more, the 10,000 service was done using a Gen II checklist, while the 20,000 used a Gen I :eek: checklist.

It looks as though there is a lot to be said for shopping around, if there are other dealers in reach.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links