Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.3 Vs 1.4Vvti

catherine L

I have a 1998 1.3 GS which is slow and terrible on fuel (averages 22mpg!)

Have been looking for a replacement, but keep finding cars that have horrible ergonomics - crap seats, gears out of reach, pedals so close together my foot hits the accelerator when braking, not to mention leaky sunroofs, rattles and rust.

The car is otherwise nice to drive and everything is in the right place, so I'm wondering whether the later 2000-2002 1.4 vvti Corollas are that much faster and more fuel-efficient?

Yes, and Yes :P (I... think)

Can't comment through owning one but I knew a few people with 1.4 VVT-i's. Sure they're not going to blow your socks off but 95bhp aint bad from a 1.4, it's 20 more than my 1.4 Puegeot 206 had! haha

Friends also seem to average around mid 30's plodding around town. But as I say, Can't comment much further as I've never actually driven one!

mine is a 1.4 and i would definitely say its one of the faster 1.4 on the roads and will give many 1.6 cars a run for there money. i go out all the time with much higher power cars but i seem to keep up well even when having a ply but thats only because they cant really floor it on public roads.

Also everything bar the engine mods are the same well the K&n typhoon fits still but other than that any body, handling mods are all the same.

1.4 gets the thumbs up... had one for a year and apart from usuall maintance its nippy, reliable and very cheap to run.... plus its got the looks

I have owned a 1.4 VVTI (2001) E11 1.4. The 1.4 was nippy enough and based on the trip computer readings would average 40mpg on long runs and high 30's on around town. I haven't driven a 1998 1.3 GS, but I did own a 1995 1.3 and unless abused I don't think I would have averaged anything as low as 22mpg. Are you pushing yours fairly hard and/or do you think it may be due a service?

i brought mine a few months ago as a beater whilst i fixed my other car, and then fell in love with it so have got no further with the other car lol.

its a great car and engine, usually gets 35-40 mpg with my lead foot and on run 45-50 is no problem! and it has no problem keeping up with vtr's and the like and a 127hp puma (somehow :S) , and for some reason its faster with more people in it and a full tank haha

i cant see me selling it any time soon perfect runabout

Are you pushing yours fairly hard and/or do you think it may be due a service?

I'm *trying* not to push it too hard now, though on the motorway you dont have much choice if you want to overtake anything, and it doesnt like hills! Havent had a formal service but its got a new K&N, spark plugs, oil and filter changed, 2 lots of redex, and the previous owner had just fitted a new exhaust and brake disks/pads.

A couple of people suggested it might be a faulty lambda sensor or cat but Toyota tell me the engine mananagement light would go on if that was the case, and another garage drove it (albeit only for 15 minutes and not on the motorway) and said it seemed OK.

Could do with a 5 door car anyhow so am thinking its probably best to put the money into buying a new one instead. The 1.4 does sound a lot better, and am defo going to look for one with service history this time!

I have a 1998 1.3 GS which is slow and terrible on fuel (averages 22mpg!)

Have been looking for a replacement, but keep finding cars that have horrible ergonomics - crap seats, gears out of reach, pedals so close together my foot hits the accelerator when braking, not to mention leaky sunroofs, rattles and rust.

The car is otherwise nice to drive and everything is in the right place, so I'm wondering whether the later 2000-2002 1.4 vvti Corollas are that much faster and more fuel-efficient?

Aye, i have a 1.3 corolla se and it is sore on petrol too! but its a great engine! and definately not slow for all the size of it! my mate has a 2001 1.4vvti corolla and it is a we bit slower and it is always breaking.. and its no better on petrol.. whereas my car has taken 2 years of solid abuse and i havent spent a penny on it :) you should get a 1999 1.6 if anything hi

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links